• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ash being older than his female traveling companion

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Does anyone realize that when ash goes to a new region a 10yrs. old girl becomes a trainer and then becomes his friend take Dawn for example the day she started her journey she just turned 10 but ash was way past being 10 yrs. old but they are treated as the same age why is that the case?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Ash is 11 or 12 or so if the Orange Islands are the last arc, or 10 if the reboot rendered that development null. Ash and Co. stay the same age and always will, with all development whipping back at the start of each new season.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    They're all the same age as they were when they were first introduced. Nobody grows up. I actually like it that way.

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
    Years
    It's funny, even if Pokemon is still popular 50 years from now, Ash will probaly be like what? 15? There is though a small refernce though to Ash growing it up. In the Pokemon movie short (I forget the name, but its the one where Pikachu meets the Pichu brothers...) Ash claims at the end it has been 1 year sence they meet. So asumming Ash WAS ten at the start of his journey, this marks That he is ATLEAST eleven! Also, there are multiple points the the story, (Such as the Pokemon League and Contests Championships) that usually only come one a year. Still, I do find it both satifiting and creepy that Ash never ages. Then again, who would want Ash to be 21? If you do, please; do tell. AFter all, The first time Ash was first seen as a ten year old was in 1998! So he was born in like... 1988? Trust me, everyone would prefere if he was always ten over his real age of 21....

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.
    Years
    When Ash started his journey, he was ten. Now we're in the 4th Gen, and most probably every Gen ends in Ash gaining a year of age, he would be 14. Possibly.
    I don't find that the least bit odd; maybe the creators try to make it so life-like.

Rizuza

Princess of Cuteness
    Years
    It would be so creepy seeing Ash age.

What if we'd be at the 10th Gen and Ash would be like.. 20 years old. Think of the pedophilia that would happen between Ash and the new trainer (seeing that he doesn't get a wife xD)

No. Just no. :P

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Pokemon should go "Shippuden" and hardcore. really.

Ash is atleast 12 or 11 but he does get trated as if he is the same age as Dawn. May seemed older too when she came to Sinnoh. Its all just so wierd to me. Why are they alone in the wild again?

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    I don't know about his being 12. After all, his voice now is considerably deeper than Season 1-3, and a voice change like that usually occurs at around ages 14-16.

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Ash will never age unless the writers make him too. Real world logic doesn't apply to Pokemon where 10 yr olds go off on their own and try not to get mauled by a pack of Scyther to try to be the best Pokemon Master there is.

If we went by real world logic, Spiderman would be 70 years old, Mickey Mouse would be 100 yrs old, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    He should totally be, like. . 15. End of Kanto, 11; End of Johto, 12; End of Hoenn, 13; Kanto Grand Festival/Battle Frontier, 14; Sinnoh, 15.

Or so it would be in the real world. That would make sense. XD But, this is anime, and most anime doesn't make sense/doesn't have to make sense. =3​

Pikachu™

Pika Pika!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    Well, we all know anime isn't real, so of course he is never going to age.

oliverl79

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2009
    The reason they don't age him is because then if say someone just startedc watching Pokemon then they saw there first episode there wouldn't be a huge history that they have look into and stuff because he's young. It's not a very good way to put it but I hope you know what I mean.

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    The reason they don't age him is because then if say someone just startedc watching Pokemon then they saw there first episode there wouldn't be a huge history that they have look into and stuff because he's young. It's not a very good way to put it but I hope you know what I mean.

I see what you mean, but the show's marketed towards 6-10 year olds. That's why they still make Ash 10, lol.

Back