• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash Hits Puberty (way to kill it)

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    So I haven't watched the Pokemon show in a very, very long time, but I grew up recognizing his voice more than any other anime character I know. Back in the day, his voice was a little raspy, a little boyish; it was really significant for me because he was the center character of the show, and I always expected him to be a certain way.

But what's this--I turn to CN for the first time in years and Ash has hit puberty? I hate his new voice.. And I know that's something trivial to be upset about but like I said, I recognize(d) his voice more than any other anime characters and to me it was special to the show.. And now that he has a new voice actor I feel like he's a completely new character. Is it just me? =/

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    it's just that there's a change in all of the voice actors, and that most fans hate the new actors really... not necessarily they're bad, just that you got so used to the old voice actors as they've been with everyone for 9 years now. There's bound to be a sense of biased for the old voices.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    Yeah, I've definitly noticed the change in voices for Brock, Nurse Joy, and Jesse and James, too.. But Ash is by far the most noticible. They could have at least given him something closer to the old him, just to make me feel better. ;/

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2007
    He's only been 10 for about 9 and a half years.

And the voice actor that played him was a girl, and she was over 20. All the voice actors were adults. This thread is awesome.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    Ash Ketchum: the new Peter Pan. Yeah, I've always wondered when he was going to grow up and have kids, and another season would start with the kid starring as the main character or something. Only in fanfics, I guess.

So the voice actors started off as kids and grew up into adults then quit, or were they already adults from the start? I wouldn't care if I was 40, I'd still be a voice actor for Pokemon..The check must've been nice.

Years
    Well, Veronica Taylor said in a 98 interview that 4Kids took more painstaking time dubbing these early episodes in terms of accuracy. That's why she sounded more boyish early on, so I rather enjoyed it. This thread is really a rehash of the voice actor change, but I'll leave it up for the moment.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Before it closes, (IF it closes..)
    I'll add.

Its not just you.
    Lately, I've been feeling like I wasn't into the anime as much, or maybe just Pokemon in general. So I thought 'Maybe my Pokemon obsession is ending?'.
    Found out a couple days that wasn't the case at all.. >>
    Because I bought the 9th Pokemon movie, and it came with an extra DVD of some of the Advanced episodes, with the original VAs of course.

&& While watching it, I really enjoyed it, and by the end I back in to the anime again, and had that 'happy Pokemon feeling'. (xD)

So, my point being, I don't enjoy Pokemon as much I use simply because of the change in the voice cast.
    I still watch it, and I'll still watch D/P.
    It just doesn't have the same feel as it use to, and it was mainly Ash's voice change alone that killed it for me.

In a nutshell:
    "I want my Veronica Taylor back!" Dx

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2007
    I guess Veronica just wanted to contribute her voice to a show that actually gets ratings.

I'm not certain, but these new voice actors don't seem at all as good as the originals. Especially Ash's. Did pokemon lose some of its budget or what?

Really though, I don't know.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I guess Veronica just wanted to contribute her voice to a show that actually gets ratings.

I'm not certain, but these new voice actors don't seem at all as good as the originals. Especially Ash's. Did pokemon lose some of its budget or what?

Really though, I don't know.

*coughhackwheeze* You're kidding, right? Are you saying that Veronica would have left the show because the show didn't have high-enough ratings!?!?!?!? ARE YOU INSANE!???

And the voice change was due to Pokemon changing hands and some conflict that kept the VAs from coming back. What that was was never made clear, though (contract conflict, PUSA not bothering to approach them, PUSA only approaching some/one of them, etc).

...Dark Charaxes is right, though; this is just another repeat of the past "Hey the new VAs STINK!!" threads...

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
    I don't mind the new voices to a large extent, but I never really liked it anyway. Those of us who grew up watching the anime got too comfortable with something that's somewhat liable to change. It's like having Till Lindemann (Rammstein's lead vocalist) being replaced with somebody like Rob Halford (former lead vocalist of Judas Priest). It is pretty weird, but we'll just have to get used to it, because the original voice actors are probably not coming back.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
    I liked the new voices, they aren't as abd as new VA for other shows, this thread is going to repeat just like DC said, but they should make ash grow up

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

I always thought that Ash did grow up, for there are references throughout the show mentioning that he has grown by years with age, or I could be mistaken. It's another common debate among Pokefans like ourselves.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    It's all just the mystical world of Anime, the creators can do whatever they want with it. Ash has been growing all these years, but he still remains a kid.

Anyway, we can all dream that by some miracle the next season brings all the old voice actors back.

Litrid

Certified Poke Ball
    Years
    I'm gonna say it right now the new cast sucks yes it sucks so badly!!!!!!! We need the original cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I really like the new VA cast. I think they are really good and kinda do a better job then the old VA cast. I mean as staying on topic I have to say that they kinda help make the characters like Ash hit puberty. I mean his voice really sounds older and that is kinda good because then it shows growth.

Also please don't don't be posting here to say you hate the VA cast. This is kinda about if Ash needs to hit puberty not a 'I hate the new VAs' I am sure that PUSA and their VA cast work just as hard as the 4Kids and their VAs to make a show that is enjoyable to all and we as Pokemon Anime fans need to appreciate that.

Back