• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ash should replace his sidekick pickachu

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    For a little while in Hoenn, he didn't have Pikachu and instead had Aipom as his main sidekick, didn't he? That might just have been a few episodes, or one single even, though. Don't remember properly.

And Chikorita certainly tried to be Ash's main partner but didn't quite get there. Pikachu and Ash are iconic and as long as there is anime featuring Ash, Pikachu will keep nerfing through the regions.

Years
  • Pikachu will likely never go anywhere unless Ash himself gets axed. I find him adorable so I don't mind if he stays on.. luckily Ash changes his Pokemon every generation anyway so we often get many breaths of fresh air.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I think there was an interview, in which when asked if we would ever have a trainer besides Ash, the writers answering the interview laughed, and said no. They considered the idea of getting a new trainer, but couldn't think of a reason why Ash's pikachu would desert him to be with the new trainer.

In other words, the writers think it's more likely to replace Ash, the main character of the series, before even thinking about replacing Pikachu.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Aug 30, 2013
    If they replace Pikachu I will protest and then so on strike. He is the face of pokemon and if they ever replace him I will stop watching all together.

Years
  • I don't think replacing Pikachu is a good idea.

I'd like the writers to surprise us and let him be in his Pokeball but that's not gonna happen either.

I just don't want other Pokemon than Ash's outside the Pokeball (just like Iris' Axew). It's taking forever to intoduce themselves to a new person.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
    Years
  • Dude. Tradition. Don't change it.

It's been Ash and Pikachu for sixteen seasons of Pokemon. That's sixteen years.
    Ash and Pikachu has a ring to it. A ring that's been echoing for sixteen years.

My opinion: No. Absolutely not.

But, just a question: Would you rather it be Ash and Pikachu, or Ash and Stunfisk? Your choice, man.

*~Maelstrom~*

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Whilst I would love for Ash to replace Pikachu, it's not something that I can ever see happening. Pikachu and Ash are just... they're the whole show, haha. Ash without Pikachu is like Muse without Matt Bellamy, it just wouldn't work. I'm personally not a fan of Pikachu (though I do admire his cuteness) simply because it's such an over-rated Pokémon when there are so many more interesting ones that could be used and featured, but even I wouldn't want to see him leave haha. It'd be more traumatic than the time Ash left Gliscor!

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Well let's be honest, Pikachu's the mascot of Pokemon.
    So getting rid of him is 99.9% unlikely.
    Though I'd love to see an another fresh face and an another new mascot.

Last edited:

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
    Years
  • I would not like to see this happen. Watched the Anime my entire life, from Kanto to Unova. Pikachu has been there all the way, and is as much of the Anime as Ash is. You don't see Team Rocket replacing Meowth anytime soon?

Sure, he's a talking Meowth, that's something special. But it's more than that. They have a bond with him, and it ruins the whole game of *cat and mouse* that Meowth *Cat* have with Pikachu *Mouse*. Replacing Pikachu would more or less be like replacing Meowth as an antagonist, it won't/shouldn't be done.

Besides, if you really want to see a new face, I think I heard somewhere that they are doing a spin-off Anime about Red's adventures. It's a new Trainer, and I don't think a Pikachu is his first partner *though a Pikachu is on his team*. So you'd definitely get your new face, and Pikachu wouldn't necessarily be a direct influence on the show.

But leave Ash's Pikachu where he is.

Gir500

~Gir~
    Years
  • Pokemon Co. did make a side anime that only had like 22 episodes, it was a fantastic failure, because it didn't have Ash or Pikachu in it at all, and it didn't even last one season, so no, if either of Ash or Pikachu leaves the anime, it would only be to tell the fans of pokemon that the company has gone bankrupt.

also Pikachu has been getting less and less of the attention since the first season ended, in the last 3 seasons especially he's becoming more of a footnote on the anime, since they haven't had a pikachu centric episode in quite a while

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
    Years
  • Ash is basically Pikachu's father figure. Having him separate would be terrible for the little guy. Also, Pikachu is the face of Pokemon, so really, having him gone would cause more changes than you think.

In fact, I'd rather see some old Pokemon come back. I want to see his Charizard fly in again. That thing was the best.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    I like how Pikachu say ''Pika..CHU!'' . If Pokemon really wanted to replace Pikachu with another Pokemon, I can say that most of us wont watch the anime anymore.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love Pikachu, but it's been with Ash from the very beginning. It needs a rest, I think. I know that they've replaced Pikachu before for an episode or two, but this time around, I'd like to see them do it for an entire season as some sort of an experiment. This should give us an idea of how the anime truly feels without having this Pokémon around, and make us decide if we really like it or not. If most of us do like it, then they could keep this change for a few extra seasons. If we don't, then they always have the option to bring Pikachu back. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    What good will this do ?
    In BW , We saw Pikachu getting his ass-kicked by Level 5 Snivy .
    In XY , We might see Charizard getting his ass-kicked by Level 5 Froakie .
    Can You accept that ???

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2015
    Dude. Tradition. Don't change it.

It's been Ash and Pikachu for sixteen seasons of Pokemon. That's sixteen years.
    Ash and Pikachu has a ring to it. A ring that's been echoing for sixteen years.

My opinion: No. Absolutely not.

But, just a question: Would you rather it be Ash and Pikachu, or Ash and Stunfisk? Your choice, man.

*~Maelstrom~*

fair point and i agree it is a tradition and something that if it were to happen they should make sure it is the right choice. But since there so keen on going on a different direction with pokemon certainly with the game then maybe for at least one season of the x and y to give pikachu at least a lesser role.i phrased the question wrong a bit i think i dont want pikachu gone for good or even out of each episode,what i would like to see is pikachu take a step back and see ash's relationship with other pokemon develop a bit more for example in the first series of pokemon i didnt get to see squirtle as much as i would have liked to.pikachu is the face of pokemon and i think that he could remain the face of pokemon while still giving other pokemon the chance for a bigger role rather than one or two episodes and a few battles. i have really liked some of ash's pokemon and don't get me wrong i dont hate pikachu i would just like to see a slight change and if it doesn't work then they can fit it into the story give pikachu his role back 100% then at least they can say we tried people didn't like it or it didn't work out.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    fair point and i agree it is a tradition and something that if it were to happen they should make sure it is the right choice. But since there so keen on going on a different direction with pokemon certainly with the game then maybe for at least one season of the x and y to give pikachu at least a lesser role.i phrased the question wrong a bit i think i dont want pikachu gone for good or even out of each episode,what i would like to see is pikachu take a step back and see ash's relationship with other pokemon develop a bit more for example in the first series of pokemon i didnt get to see squirtle as much as i would have liked to.pikachu is the face of pokemon and i think that he could remain the face of pokemon while still giving other pokemon the chance for a bigger role rather than one or two episodes and a few battles. i have really liked some of ash's pokemon and don't get me wrong i dont hate pikachu i would just like to see a slight change and if it doesn't work then they can fit it into the story give pikachu his role back 100% then at least they can say we tried people didn't like it or it didn't work out.

My Suggestion , Ash should use Pikachu in first few battle until he catch one or two pokemon!
    Then Pikachu take the backseat while Other Pokemon get a chance to shine .
    Pikachu will only battle When Ash face's a serious challenge .

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    The main problem is that Pikachu doesn't seem to have its own personality & Attitude he had during original series.
    Now he simply mimic whatever personality or attitude Ash show's !!!

Back