• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash Vs. Paul - The Rivalry

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    Hey! After many months I have completed my Ash/Paul rivalry AMV and would like to share it with the forum.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - I wanted to post it in the creative works forum, but there was no section for AMV's or video work - on art and graphics. I felt the Anime forum was more appropriate, but if the mods feel that it should be moved, then it shall.

To compromise, allow me to change this from just an AMV thread to a discussion on the rivalry as a whole. How did you find it? What were the strengths and weaknesses, what was an improvement for the writers and where could they be better?

Personally, I find the rivalry was extremely well done and the reason I was drawn back into anime. A foil for ash at the very core - not just another jerk, but two people that absolutely couldn't stand each other's presence for most of the series was an excellent addition to the series. However, Ash could've gotten at least one additional win against Paul during the series to make Ash more of a threat, but that would also undermine the intensity of the climax.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I loved this rivalry, it was one of the awesome things apart of D/P. The interactons/battles were so cool. You could also really feel for Ash's side in the rivalry. Plus Paul wasn't some newbie punk, he was in just as many regions as Ash was in, so it made it more understandable for Ash to loose at times. I hate the fact that Trip is a newbie, looks like it doesn't seem to be going any where too. Kind of hope Trip gets replaced but meh.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I kind of liked the rivalry between Ash and Paul. While I hated Paul's way of treating Pokemon, it's also a good reason why he was Ash's rival. The Ash vs. Paul battles were a lot more heated up, IMO.

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    i liked the rivalry between Ash and Paul
    but i also hated the way Paul treated his pokemon. And the battle between Paul ans Ash are the best
    btw your AMV is awesome :)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The rivalry between Ash and Paul has been my absolute favorite since Gary decided to take a different path. It really added something to the story and was more than just a "Haha, you suck. I'm better than you!" It involved their style of training, it involved how different their views were on Pokémon, and then it also revolved around Infernape's abuse from Paul as a Chimchar and how eager he was at proving Paul was wrong for thinking he was weak. It really built up to the climax of it all, and it gave viewers something to look forward to at the Sinnoh Conference. What I loved the most about their rivalry was that it brought out the best in Ash. It really pushed Ash to become better, using different tactics such as his Counter Shield. We never saw a lot of that in Ash before, and personally, I thought it was his high point since the original series.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I loved this rivalry, it was one of the awesome things apart of D/P. The interactons/battles were so cool. You could also really feel for Ash's side in the rivalry. Plus Paul wasn't some newbie punk, he was in just as many regions as Ash was in, so it made it more understandable for Ash to loose at times. I hate the fact that Trip is a newbie, looks like it doesn't seem to be going any where too. Kind of hope Trip gets replaced but meh.
    Ash and Paul rivalry was good but not heated up or all that great to begin with,Trip is a much better rival for Ash then Paul ever really was since he is a newbie.

Paul rivalry with Ash was nothing awesome about it or the DP series which sucks big time.

Aeriyn.You are entitle to your opinions but do not state them as facts, there wasn't hardly any buit up to it,the battle between Ash and Paul wasn't heated at all it was a good battle but it could have been more epice like the battle Ash and Gary had at the Johto League,there was no climax at all when Ash battle Paul it was a boring bland battle,atleast Ash and Gary battle were more epic and heated up like crazy.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Ash and Paul rivalry was good but not heated up or all that great to begin with,Trip is a much better rival for Ash then Paul ever really was since he is a newbie.

Paul rivalry with Ash was nothing awesome about it or the DP series which sucks big time.

Aeriyn.You are entitle to your opinions but do not state them as facts, there wasn't hardly any buit up to it,the battle between Ash and Paul wasn't heated at all it was a good battle but it could have been more epice like the battle Ash and Gary had at the Johto League,there was no climax at all when Ash battle Paul it was a boring bland battle,atleast Ash and Gary battle were more epic and heated up like crazy.
    Not heated at all to began with? So Ash wasn't frustrated at the way Paul was going about the training and treatment of pokemon? And Trip adds more to a rivalry because he is a newbie or is there something else I am missing?

We get the point you are a Johto fanboy but there is no reason to say Sinnoh sucks in about ever thread related to Sinnoh that you post in. And Trip rivalry at this point is so much better?

I think Aerilyn knows he is entitled to his own opinions by now... The only thing in his post that was remotely anything stating as fact was this "We never saw a lot of that in Ash before". The rest is just his "opinion". Epic is in the eye of the beholder, Ash League Battle with Paul may not be as Epic is Gary was but then again we waited 2 sagas(3 if you count Orange Islands) for a full battle between the two.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Not heated at all to began with? So Ash wasn't frustrated at the way Paul was going about the training and treatment of pokemon? And Trip adds more to a rivalry because he is a newbie or is there something else I am missing?

We get the point you are a Johto fanboy but there is no reason to say Sinnoh sucks in about ever thread related to Sinnoh that you post in. And Trip rivalry at this point is so much better?

I think Aerilyn knows he is entitled to his own opinions by now... The only thing in his post that was remotely anything stating as fact was this "We never saw a lot of that in Ash before". The rest is just his "opinion". Epic is in the eye of the beholder, Ash League Battle with Paul may not be as Epic is Gary was but then again we waited 2 sagas(3 if you count Orange Islands) for a full battle between the two.
    Well i'm a Kanto fanboy aswell as a Johto fanboy. I guest it was a heated battle to start with and yes Ash did got frustrated at how Paul treated his pokemon i do admit to that,as for Trip i can't say to much about wether Ash rivalry with him is better or not since they have a long way to go.

Ash vs Paul was a good heated battle but it still could have been better.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I loved their rivalry, there was such a big spark between the two ever since they met. I mean, there first battle ended so dramatically, with Ash losing picking up his Pikachu and watching as Paul walked off, which is pretty much how the rest of their battles ended, has anyone ever noticed that though? Take the first 6 v 6 battle between the two, Ash lost, picked up his monferno and watched as Paul walked off into the sunset disappointed.

They never really saw eye to eye, and both didn't like each others training methods. I found it really sweet when Ash decided to take Paul's Chimchar after he abandoned it. I never really liked how Paul treated his Pokémon either, but I'm sure was he went on through Sinnoh, and meeting Cynthia he toned down a lot more and I would say he changed a little, but I'm not saying I didn't like him at all.

I loved how their rivalry ultimately ended, lasting around three episodes (though argueable two due to other happenings in the episodes) the battle was really epic, and I loved how it ended, the whole white background, hearts racing.

The scene where Ash went after Paul before he left was really great too, It showed Paul's last moment in the anime (Well, actually who knows, maybe he could come back), Ash shouting his fairwell to his rival, how it's set out at sunset, was a great touch too, mainly because of their other full battle a long time ago, Paul just seemingly walked off disappointed in Ash, but this time said they said their farewell, shaping up to Paul respecting Ash finally. The whole impact of it was truly amazing.

You should also take into account something Cynthia said after their battle. Though they may not have ever seen eye to eye, all their time feuding and battling with each other created a bond between them that can never be broken. Both have learnt a lot from each other and have both become far stronger as a result.
    And also, pretty much the quote that symbolised their rivalry:
    "When one life meets another life, something will be born."

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I loved their rivalry, there was such a big spark between the two ever since they met. I mean, there first battle ended so dramatically, with Ash losing picking up his Pikachu and watching as Paul walked off, which is pretty much how the rest of their battles ended, has anyone ever noticed that though? Take the first 6 v 6 battle between the two, Ash lost, picked up his monferno and watched as Paul walked off into the sunset disappointed.

They never really saw eye to eye, and both didn't like each others training methods. I found it really sweet when Ash decided to take Paul's Chimchar after he abandoned it. I never really liked how Paul treated his Pokémon either, but I'm sure was he went on through Sinnoh, and meeting Cynthia he toned down a lot more and I would say he changed a little, but I'm not saying I didn't like him at all.

I loved how their rivalry ultimately ended, lasting around three episodes (though argueable two due to other happenings in the episodes) the battle was really epic, and I loved how it ended, the whole white background, hearts racing.

The scene where Ash went after Paul before he left was really great too, It showed Paul's last moment in the anime (Well, actually who knows, maybe he could come back), Ash shouting his fairwell to his rival, how it's set out at sunset, was a great touch too, mainly because of their other full battle a long time ago, Paul just seemingly walked off disappointed in Ash, but this time said they said their farewell, shaping up to Paul respecting Ash finally. The whole impact of it was truly amazing.

You should also take into account something Cynthia said after their battle. Though they may not have ever seen eye to eye, all their time feuding and battling with each other created a bond between them that can never be broken. Both have learnt a lot from each other and have both become far stronger as a result.
    And also, pretty much the quote that symbolised their rivalry:
    "When one life meets another life, something will be born."
    I'm glad Paul is never coming back,but Ash vs Paul in the finale battle was good but not epic.

While they will never see eye to eye,they will remember the times they had battling each other,But Paul will never return anyways which is a good thing.

Back