• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    What about Jesse and James? they were teens at the beginning but they seem like adults these days.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Like much of serial fiction, Pokemon exists in a relatively ageless environment. Sure, it seems completely improabable that four Pokemon leagues accomapnied by 4 different journeys along with 2 side journeys (Orange and Battle Frontier) could happen in less than a year, but that's how it works. The same can be said of Simpsons, James Bond, any number of comic book characters, and many more, all of whom have been around a lot longer than Pokemon.

So yes, believe it or not, Ash is still about the same age at the start of the series. His personality has developed, sure, but the writers are very careful to avoid the age question because that would bring up many continuity issues, hence why they avoid mentioning specific amounts of time in many cases.

You'll also notice that people not much older than him, like many of the COTD, the Elite 4, variosu breeders or those in other Pokemon professions, have chosen their careers in Pokemon. It's pretty much implied that traveling around is for the younger people, and when they're old enough, they'll pick a profession and stay in one place.

Years
  • I always thought he should logically 16.
    That means he's just as tall as a 10 year old.
    Gawd, they never age, huh? Unlike Red, who get manlier when he hits 16. :3
    Didn't they say a person can be a Pokemon trainer once they're 10 years old?
    Doesn't that mean his b-day was when he got Pikachu?
    Does that also mean he shares his b-day with three other people?
    xD Well, he has to be more than 11.
    Ya know, that Pikachu short for the 3rd movie? The one with Entei? They had an anniversary for Ash and Pikachu's first day together. So logically, it was a year after they met, and logically, Ash aged at least a year.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    For me I would think he is like 15 or 16 for the most...it makes sense seeing as how the anime goes by kind of...

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
  • Well, in the third pikachu movie, he turned 11, because he states "Pikachu, do you know what day it is? It's the first anniversery of when we first met" aka his birthday.
    I'd say that he's eleven then. An anniversery hasn't been mentioned since (I think...?), so I guess he's still eleven, maybe twelve.
    I think it's better that we don't know his age, actually.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    well seeing as he got a voice change, to sound more older, I say 15 or 16...yep and I'm sticking with it...lolz :P

EDIT: but I agree, maybe it is better if we never know...

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • In Diamond Pearl: Battle Dimension, he is ten or eleven years old. However, he should be about sixteen years old.
    I bet this altering of time was caused by Dialga...

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Well, I'm going to take the factor of Ash's Lapras into the topic here. First of all, Ash greeted with Lapras in the beginning of the Orange Islands, specifically Tangelo Island.

Now we take the facts into hand: Lapras was caught by Ash when the rest of Lapras's herd left her through migration. It was stated that Lapras would only reunite with her herd after six months time. By the time that Lapras had reunited with her herd, Ash was at the end of his Orange Island Adventure, near Pummelo Island. With this conclusion, we can infer that each league adventure takes around six months to complete or travel through. Possibly a tad bit more, since the Orange Islands were a minor adventure.

So we take Ash's adventures into hand.

Kanto
    Johto
    Orange Islands
    Hoenn
    Sinnoh

Which ends up being 6 months x 5 adventures ( 6 x 5 = 30 ). By the time Ash will complete the Sinnoh region, I predict that he'd be about 30 months into his journey, and possibly a bit more. 30 months is about 2 and a half years. Since he started off at the age of 10, we add 2 and a half years to it. This makes him about 12 1/2 years old, so 12 or 13 should be a reasonable estimate.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well, I'm going to take the factor of Ash's Lapras into the topic here. First of all, Ash greeted with Lapras in the beginning of the Orange Islands, specifically Tangelo Island.

Now we take the facts into hand: Lapras was caught by Ash when the rest of Lapras's herd left her through migration. It was stated that Lapras would only reunite with her herd after six months time. By the time that Lapras had reunited with her herd, Ash was at the end of his Orange Island Adventure, near Pummelo Island. With this conclusion, we can infer that each league adventure takes around six months to complete or travel through. Possibly a tad bit more, since the Orange Islands were a minor adventure.

So we take Ash's adventures into hand.

Kanto
    Johto
    Orange Islands
    Hoenn
    Sinnoh

Which ends up being 6 months x 5 adventures ( 6 x 5 = 30 ). By the time Ash will complete the Sinnoh region, I predict that he'd be about 30 months into his journey, and possibly a bit more. 30 months is about 2 and a half years. Since he started off at the age of 10, we add 2 and a half years to it. This makes him about 12 1/2 years old, so 12 or 13 should be a reasonable estimate.

Then he should have taken about less half a year in Kanto. What we know for certain is that the Pikachu short in Movie 3 is a checkpoint that POSITIVELY gives that Ash is 11.

If Kanto was less than 6 months, and since Jotho and Kanto are about equal, then that's somewhere of about 1 5/14 years of the journey there.

I think there was some time where Ash and May had traveled for a year. So that is a definite Checkpoint that it's 2 5/14 now.

They traveled again through Kanto, a bit less than six months with leftovers of Advanced Battle should be 3 years.

Then he goes to Sinnoh, the episode of flashbacks was skipped, but there it was stated that there was already 1 year of travel.

Thus, 4 years in total for Ash.

Ash is about 14 years old at the moment and suffering from puberty delay disorder.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • He spent a year in Kanto.

He then moved to Orange Islands for probably no more then three or four months.

After that, he was in Johto for about a year. Maybe a year and a half at most.

He then moved to Hoenn for another year.

And the Battle Frontier was a year as well.

So, assuming he's already been in Sinnoh for three or four months, he's around sixteen. Which, aside form his height, is pretty believable.

If Kanto was less than 6 months, and since Jotho and Kanto are about equal, then that's somewhere of about 1 5/14 years of the journey there.

Umm... I'm pretty sure that I heard them say it had been a year once they returned to Viridina City before the Indigo League. Also, if from that point forward he participated in the annual pokemon tournament... he'd be around sixteen.

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    Here is my breakdown of trainer's ages as of now:

Brock: 16-18
    May: 13-15
    Dawn: 13-15
    Misty: 13-15

Going from that, I could accurately guess that Ash would be...roughly...14-16 going by real time.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Umm... I'm pretty sure that I heard them say it had been a year once they returned to Viridina City before the Indigo League. Also, if from that point forward he participated in the annual pokemon tournament... he'd be around sixteen.

That only adds 6 months to the equation if it was true. So it'd be about 14 1/2 to close to 15.

That supports too much he is suffering from PDD.

Back