• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Krabby?

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
Years
  • Does anyone remember in the first season during the Indigo League when Ash's Krabby was battling against trainer Mandy's Exeggutor?
    Dumbest battle ever, I swear.
    For those that don't remember it:

Mandy sends out Exeggutor and Ash sends out Krabby. Misty maintains that this is a bad idea, but Ash is confident. Exeggutor sends out a Psywave which Krabby dodges by jumping into the water. Exeggutor forms a whirlpool in the water with a Psychic attack, and Krabby is caught up in it. Ash tries to withdraw Krabby, but the flow of the water makes it impossible. Exeggutor sends out an Egg Bomb attack, and the splashes come back onto him. The announcer raves about how strong Exeggutor must be, being a part grass-type Pokémon and not being weakened by the water. Krabby works his way out of the rushing water and uses a Vicegrip attack on Exeggutor, latching onto one of his leaves. Mandy tries to get his Pokémon to use his Hypnosis attack, but Exeggutor is running around in pain. Krabby unleashes a Leer and then a Stomp, defeating Exeggutor. Brock and Misty express their surprise, and Krabby starts to glow, evolving into Kingler.

Sourced from Serebii.net

A tiny unexperienced Krabby versus a trained Exeggutor, there is of course the type difference, but seriously, it's a ridiculous battle!

haha yeahhh I ranted a bit... But that battle really does get to me... ^______^;;

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Does anyone remember in the first season during the Indigo League when Ash's Krabby was battling against trainer Mandy's Exeggutor?

Mandy sends out Exeggutor and Ash sends out Krabby. Misty maintains that this is a bad idea, but Ash is confident. Exeggutor sends out a Psywave which Krabby dodges by jumping into the water. Exeggutor forms a whirlpool in the water with a Psychic attack, and Krabby is caught up in it. Ash tries to withdraw Krabby, but the flow of the water makes it impossible. Exeggutor sends out an Egg Bomb attack, and the splashes come back onto him. The announcer raves about how strong Exeggutor must be, being a part grass-type Pokémon and not being weakened by the water. Krabby works his way out of the rushing water and uses a Vicegrip attack on Exeggutor, latching onto one of his leaves. Mandy tries to get his Pokémon to use his Hypnosis attack, but Exeggutor is running around in pain. Krabby unleashes a Leer and then a Stomp, defeating Exeggutor. Brock and Misty express their surprise, and Krabby starts to glow, evolving into Kingler.

Sourced from Serebii.net

A tiny unexperienced Krabby versus a trained Exeggutor, there is of course the type difference, but seriously, it's a ridiculous battle!

haha yeahhh I ranted a bit... But that battle really does get to me... ^______^;;

Umm, yeah, you DO realize that Krabby might have been training when he was at Oak's, right? I mean, Professor Oak even mentioned their entire activities in the day (many of these activities involve, yes, Training.), so it's no wonder how Krabby was able to hold his own against exeggutor. Also, since when does size matter? I mean, Pikachu was much smaller than Onix and yet it was still powerful enough to actually down one.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Does anyone remember in the first season during the Indigo League when Ash's Krabby was battling against trainer Mandy's Exeggutor?

Sourced from Serebii.net

This announcer is stupid! Grass types are STRONG against Water.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
  • Umm, yeah, you DO realize that Krabby might have been training when he was at Oak's, right? I mean, Professor Oak even mentioned their entire activities in the day (many of these activities involve, yes, Training.), so it's no wonder how Krabby was able to hold his own against exeggutor. Also, since when does size matter? I mean, Pikachu was much smaller than Onix and yet it was still powerful enough to actually down one.

Yeah, but that if you actually remember, that was because the Onix got doused in water making it not only weaker, but prone to electric attacks. Whereas with Krabby and Exeggutor, not only is it an unfavorable matchup, but the Exeggutor would have had hands on battling experience, where Krabby would have just (as you said) trained.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Funny, I've just watched this episode today. I thought the battle was really stupid as well. The Pokemon at Oak's lab don't really train, just kinda do what they want. Which seems really weird the Pokemon that Ash kept with him and trained didn't evolve, but the one he didn't keep evolved straight away?

I've been rewatching the 1st series and it's really annoying, throught *lots* of episodes (not just 1 or 2) they say how Electric doesn't affect ROCK. But it can affect ground types (A Marowak was knocked out by Thunderbolt) I was really annoyed. I thought it was just a mistake or something, but if Marowak was killed...I dunno. They must've changed it sometime in Orange Islands or Johto so it dosn't affect ground.

Tasteful Loathing

Danger, danger!
    Years
  • Well, Ash's Krabby does evolve into Kingler in an episode i forget wich though

His Krabby evolves after it defeats Exeggutor. So in the same episode.
    But yeah, the battle itself was absurd.
    There's a difference between proving that 'if you have faith in your Pokémon, you can do anything!' and 'despite aiming to be a Pokémon master, I wouldn't of passed at a Pokémon school!' D:

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Can't YOU not read? He marvel's about being a grass-type being able to withstand Water, which practically means he thinks Grass-Types are weak against Water.

@Jorah: It's just goes to show how bad Ash is at training.

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
  • Can't YOU not read? He marvel's about being a grass-type being able to withstand Water, which practically means he thinks Grass-Types are weak against Water.
    He was informing the audience that Grass types are stronger against Water types. ._.

THIS is why you watch the actual episode rather than getting information off a less-than-detailed synopsis.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Well, I'm 11, and I don't have Sky. You think I got to see that episode? DO YOU? Seriously, I've only seen the first few episodes of the Kanto region and Advanced Battle.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
  • Funny, I've just watched this episode today. I thought the battle was really stupid as well. The Pokemon at Oak's lab don't really train, just kinda do what they want. Which seems really weird the Pokemon that Ash kept with him and trained didn't evolve, but the one he didn't keep evolved straight away?

I've been rewatching the 1st series and it's really annoying, throught *lots* of episodes (not just 1 or 2) they say how Electric doesn't affect ROCK. But it can affect ground types (A Marowak was knocked out by Thunderbolt) I was really annoyed. I thought it was just a mistake or something, but if Marowak was killed...I dunno. They must've changed it sometime in Orange Islands or Johto so it dosn't affect ground.

As a matter of fact, throughout almost the entire first season (and almost the entirety of Ash's journey), Ash makes some preeeeeeeetty stupid choices. I.e. sending out the wrong types to fight against each other, and not only in this episode; but in a LOT of episodes. Kinda makes you think how long it's going to take before Ash becomes a Pokemon "master".

I doubt he'd ever be able to make it.

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
  • As a matter of fact, throughout almost the entire first season (and almost the entirety of Ash's journey), Ash makes some preeeeeeeetty stupid choices. I.e. sending out the wrong types to fight against each other, and not only in this episode; but in a LOT of episodes. Kinda makes you think how long it's going to take before Ash becomes a Pokemon "master".

I doubt he'd ever be able to make it.
    Well, he was a beginning trainer, so it's pretty understandable that he made a lot of mistakes during the first portion of the original series.

Also, he's been making decent choices from AG on, so I don't see what's the problem. o_O Most of the mistakes he's made recently are when he battles Pokemon he's never seen before.
    Well, I'm 11, and I don't have Sky. You think I got to see that episode? DO YOU? Seriously, I've only seen the first few episodes of the Kanto region and Advanced Battle.
    Exactly.

Don't complain about a minor triviality in an episode before you've seen it. Which you didn't.

Years
  • Who's to say Krabby has never really battled? It did exist before Ash caught it. I'm sure it had to battle against other wild pokemon trying to attack it, and I don't believe Ash actually battled it when he caught it, so we never got a chance to see its power until Ash finally decided to use it.

I don't see the problem with Ash using Krabby in the battle. It seems like one of the better options. He was battling on a water field, after all. And it's not like he was planning on having Krabby beat all 3 pokemon; he had two more left. The type difference never even came into play. It used normal attacks, and the other pokemon used psychic attacks.

I never saw anything "ridiculous" about it. The other guy was overconfident, Krabby was underestimated, and it managed to defeat the other two pokemon after evolving. It wasn't nearly as ridiculous as some other battles (such as Brock or Blaine), in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yeah, but that if you actually remember, that was because the Onix got doused in water making it not only weaker, but prone to electric attacks. Whereas with Krabby and Exeggutor, not only is it an unfavorable matchup, but the Exeggutor would have had hands on battling experience, where Krabby would have just (as you said) trained.

Actually, Pikachu was able to deal significant damage to Onix even WITHOUT resorting to the sprinklers (I mean, Onix was writhing and roaring in pain when Pikachu was electrocuting it in the rematch, even BEFORE the fire that Pikachu started activated the sprinklers.), plus, in the Gym match against Roark, Onix was almost being fried by Pikachu's electric attack, and, had Onix not used Screech, it would have beaten it.

Also, Hands-on experience? what make's you think that Exeggutor had anymore "Hands on" experience? I mean, for all we know, that could have been it's first league match, just like Ash's Krabby/Kingler. Also, even if it has "hands on" experience, that doesn't mean that it's chances at losing are slim. For example, Aipom was able to take down Roark's Geodude and Gardenia's Roserade without breaking a sweat, and those pokemon would have to have a LOT more experience than Aipom currently has (and I do mean a LOT since Aipom was fairly new to the team [Obviously not AS new as Turtwig and Staravia, but it was new at the time, nonetheless.].). by that same token, Aipom should NOT have been able to take down Geodude and ESPECIALLY Roserade that easily.

@Jorah: I thought Professor Oak (and the Official Pokedex book special edition) said that the pokemon get exercise and train and relax and all of that stuff (and anyways, excercise = training.). Maybe I should rewatch that episode (Luckily I have all season 1 box sets, so I don't have to break the G.B.B.M.B. [it only states that I don't BUY pokemon products, not that I can't watch or use products that i bought before initiating it.].).

@FLUFFY KITTEN HUGS: yeah, I agree. and, yeah, he didn't actually battle it, all he did was cause Krabby to cut up a twig and then throw a pokeball at it.

Anyways, that's all for now.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
  • Be realistic guys.

It's a crab v an eggtree.

The crab always wins.

I lol'd

@ weedle_mchairybug: you wrote too much, can't be bothered replying haha
    @ FLUFFY KITTEN HUGS: did you not see the size of his Krabby? it couldn't fight off a Caterpie or even a Magikarp, even if it tried.

Basically it was another "against the odds" type of episode where the underdog managed to reign victorious despite the fact that it was considerably underpowered.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    did you not see the size of his Krabby? it couldn't fight off a Caterpie or even a Magikarp, even if it tried.

Basically it was another "against the odds" type of episode where the underdog managed to reign victorious despite the fact that it was considerably underpowered.

How was that any different than most of Pikachu's wins (and Cyndaquil's win against Steelix, and Aipom's win against Gardenia's Roserade)? Just because a pokemon is a runt doesn't mean they can't beat any pokemon, not anymore than an evolved form being invincible or nigh-invincible.

Also, how was my post too much for you to read? I mean, it was the same length as your first post on the thread.

Tasteful Loathing

Danger, danger!
    Years
  • @ weedle_mchairybug: He hasn't watched far enough to see neither Cyndaquil or Aipom's win; we're rewatching the entire series from scratch, and have only cleared up to the third season.

Most of Ash's wins have certainly seemed illogical, but I suppose the point they're trying to strike is 'if you believe in your Pokemon, anything is possible!'
    That faith beats pure power.

Pardon me answering for him.

Years
  • @ FLUFFY KITTEN HUGS: did you not see the size of his Krabby? it couldn't fight off a Caterpie or even a Magikarp, even if it tried.
    Size =/= Power. And since it was strong enough to defeat an Exeggutor, and after evolving: Seadra and Golbat, I think you're incorrect. :\ You have nothing to base that assumption on, other than speculation that Krabby was weak, which was never able to be proven true or false prior to that battle.

I don't see Krabby as the underdog. It was only a first round match, on a water field. If anything, it had the advantage over Exeggutor. O_o I see it more as a case of Krabby's power being underestimated.

You have no way of knowing that Krabby is "weaker" than the Exeggutor was, it's just something you're assuming.

Back