• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Krabby?

Years
  • The Krabby vs Exeggutor battle is just like the battle in Pokémon: The First Movie when the Pirate battles Ash and at the end of the battle the Pirate sends out a Golem which is a Ground/Rock Pokémon so how was it possible for Pikachu to KO it using an Electric attack.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
  • Size =/= Power. And since it was strong enough to defeat an Exeggutor, and after evolving: Seadra and Golbat, I think you're incorrect. :\ You have nothing to base that assumption on, other than speculation that Krabby was weak, which was never able to be proven true or false prior to that battle.

I don't see Krabby as the underdog. It was only a first round match, on a water field. If anything, it had the advantage over Exeggutor. O_o I see it more as a case of Krabby's power being underestimated.

You have no way of knowing that Krabby is "weaker" than the Exeggutor was, it's just something you're assuming.

Oh, you know, except the fact that Ash used a stick to capture it. I'd expect that would be evidence enough.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I think this is like how Pikachu killed Rhydon in Blaine's Gym hah.

Anyways, I think Krabby had a stage advantage too. While Ex wasn't harmed by the stage, it wasn't exactly super mobile like a water type would be.

Besides, I'm sure my krabby could beat that guy';s Ex any day xP; he might have been skilled, but his arrogance and pride will be his undoing.

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
  • Oh, you know, except the fact that Ash used a stick to capture it. I'd expect that would be evidence enough.
    And despite the fact that Crab chopped the stick into pieces right after. >_>;

The stick was more of a distraction, if anything.

ChuBoy

Pikachu Fanatic!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008
    Yeah, but that if you actually remember, that was because the Onix got doused in water making it not only weaker, but prone to electric attacks. Whereas with Krabby and Exeggutor, not only is it an unfavorable matchup, but the Exeggutor would have had hands on battling experience, where Krabby would have just (as you said) trained.

like weedle_mchairybug said, but also you may have forgotten that the anime is different from the games. Weaker type attacks don't have abosutely no affect (except normal attacks on ghost types) like they do in the games. In the first match, Pikachu was on a lower level than Brock's Onix and its electric attacks were not strong enough to do any noticable damage, but after it trained the strength of its attacks were strong enough to cause Onix to grunt in pain.

And like everyone else said, Krabby had the stage advantage of Exeggutor and was able to move more freely. It's not just size and type that wins battles, but level and strategy plays a role as well.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    like weedle_mchairybug said, but also you may have forgotten that the anime is different from the games. Weaker type attacks don't have abosutely no affect (except normal attacks on ghost types) like they do in the games. In the first match, Pikachu was on a lower level than Brock's Onix and its electric attacks were not strong enough to do any noticable damage, but after it trained the strength of its attacks were strong enough to cause Onix to grunt in pain.

That was a long time ago, though. They've changed it since then. In the battle aganst Roark I can't remember Ash even attempting to use an electric attack against Onix, he only did to break the rocks on the field. They probably mentioned it wouldn't affect Onix, but I can't remember.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That was a long time ago, though. They've changed it since then. In the battle aganst Roark I can't remember Ash even attempting to use an electric attack against Onix, he only did to break the rocks on the field. They probably mentioned it wouldn't affect Onix, but I can't remember.

Umm, actually, he did use one on Onix. I know he used an electric type attack (Maybe thunder wave.), and Onix was affected by it drastically. and just before Onix used Screech, Pikachu was charging towards it (Most likely it was using Volt Tackle), and you could see Sparks imminating around Onix's body and it groaning in pain. if an electric type status effect could affect Onix enough to paralyze it, I'd say that a Volt tackle might do tremendous damage (The only reason why Pikachu lost was because of Screech blowing it away.)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Umm, actually, he did use one on Onix. I know he used an electric type attack (Maybe thunder wave.), and Onix was affected by it drastically. and just before Onix used Screech, Pikachu was charging towards it (Most likely it was using Volt Tackle), and you could see Sparks imminating around Onix's body and it groaning in pain. if an electric type status effect could affect Onix enough to paralyze it, I'd say that a Volt tackle might do tremendous damage (The only reason why Pikachu lost was because of Screech blowing it away.)

That was Static, which is an ability and it affects everything regardless of type (I think) as long as it's a physical attack. I think it's only one of the poison abilites that doesn't affect something...anyway, Pikachu was using Quick Attack going into Screech and Onix had electricity coming out of it because of Static

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
  • Speaking of type match-ups, I love it how everyone complains about how Satoshi's Pikachu was able to zap Takeshi's Ishitsubute and the Golonya from Mewtwo's Counterattack while nobody gives a rat's *** about what happened in the 5th chapter of Pocket Monsters Special when Red's Pikachu was able to send Takeshi's Iwark flying into a million pieces with an electric attack. People actually taking in consideration of the set physics in a manga where westerners hold on a pedestal while not doing the same with the anime? Coincidence?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Speaking of type match-ups, I love it how everyone complains about how Satoshi's Pikachu was able to zap Takeshi's Ishitsubute and the Golonya from Mewtwo's Counterattack while nobody gives a rat's *** about what happened in the 5th chapter of Pocket Monsters Special when Red's Pikachu was able to send Takeshi's Iwark flying into a million pieces with an electric attack. People actually taking in consideration of the set physics in a manga where westerners hold on a pedestal while not doing the same with the anime? Coincidence?

Probably because not everyone reads manga...?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Speaking of type match-ups, I love it how everyone complains about how Satoshi's Pikachu was able to zap Takeshi's Ishitsubute and the Golonya from Mewtwo's Counterattack while nobody gives a rat's *** about what happened in the 5th chapter of Pocket Monsters Special when Red's Pikachu was able to send Takeshi's Iwark flying into a million pieces with an electric attack. People actually taking in consideration of the set physics in a manga where westerners hold on a pedestal while not doing the same with the anime? Coincidence?

Yeah, I know, I'm annoyed by their inconsistent (and Hypocritical, IMO) reactions to this. Heck, If you really think about it, even the GAMES have this problem as well. In Regice's Pokedex entry, they mentioned that it's impregnible even to Magma, which implies that it is immune to fire attacks, but when you hit it with, oh, I don't know, any fire type attack, it is still able to go down quite quickly. Funny how people complain about THAT inconsistency in the Anime, and yet not in the games. I never really understood that logic.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Well, he was a beginning trainer, so it's pretty understandable that he made a lot of mistakes during the first portion of the original series.

Also, he's been making decent choices from AG on, so I don't see what's the problem. o_O Most of the mistakes he's made recently are when he battles Pokemon he's never seen before.
    Exactly.

Don't complain about a minor triviality in an episode before you've seen it. Which you didn't.
    Yes, but you told me to read it to see what the announcer was saying. So we're both technically wrong.

ChuBoy

Pikachu Fanatic!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008

yeah, but we're talking about a match that happened a long time ago, so it wouldn't make since to compare that match to changes that weren't made yet.

Back