• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's New Voice O.o

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • At first it really bothered me, (and I still make fun of him when he does the titiles) but now I'm pretty used to it. I think that since they had to change his voice, this new one does a pretty good job. I also like all the others (except Max *hiss*)

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    Originally Posted by Dark Lucario
    I really wish they'd kept Veronica... Ash sounds like a f*g now...

Well that was pleasent... rude much? Veronica wasnt that great...

Ouch. i agree, that isn't very kind >.<
    Don't make such personal attacks against people ^^"

Anyways, despite what i said before about not liking Ash's new voice... i really have started to get used to it. The new episodes every weeknight, well, i'm starting to like it! I actually think Ash sounds really cute~ and it's improving alot. There is more emotion if you can hear it. Now it sounds like the same old Ash but a little more mature. <3

Change is hard to get used to, but if we aren't so judgemental then i think it's a really great thing.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Ash fangirl
    Years
  • I disagree.

I've seen all the Battle Frontier episodes they've showed this far, and in my opinion, Sarah (Ash's new VA) has not improved as much as I've expected.

There was only one episode where her emotion problem seemed like it was better, and that was with the episode "Talking A Good Game".

Unfortunately, that didn't last long, cause with the next episode "Second Time's The Charm", Sarah's Ash voice was exactly the same as it had always been - with very little emotion.

And I don't know about you guys, but I'm hating this. The fact that the main character, Ash, doesn't have any emotion is just killing me. It's even worse because Ash happens to be my favorite character.

I've said this many times before (in the New VA Discussion thread on Bulbagarden), but I still think Sarah Natochenny isn't the right person to voice Ash. I'd much rather have someone experienced voicing the main character of Pokemon, someone like Veronica Taylor. She knew exactly what made Ash "come to life", and I loved her Ash voice. The way she portrayed Ash was great.

Anyway, on another note, I'd like to say that while Sarah is very good at doing the voices for important female characters (Frontier Brains, Gym Leaders, etc), and female characters of the day, she is NOT good at doing Ash's voice.

Last edited:

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
  • I like how people complain about Sarah's version of Ash when Veronica's didn't display a whole lot of believable emotion, either. I hardly felt anything when either were supposed to be sounding rough with their yellings. Ms. Taylor also doesn't win any points for actually making Ash sound like a boy at first to hightening his voice, thus losing the boyish tone.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Ash fangirl
    Years
  • Veronica's Ash has always been boyish, in my opinion.

Her Ash voice never sounded like a girl. Heck, I remember back in the old, season one days of the show, I still thought Ash's voice was done by a guy. Yeah, her Ash voice was THAT good, that I actually thought Ash was done by male voice actor. Talk about talent! That is so awesome! ^_^

In comparison, Sarah's Ash sounds way too girly, in my opinon. I mean, every time her Ash says something, the voice is so bad that it makes me cringe. Also, with her Ash voice you can actually TELL that a female is doing Ash's voice.

With Veronica's Ash voice, you couldn't tell. In fact, I've told some of my friends that Veronica Taylor (a woman) does Ash's voice, and they couldn't believe it when I told them.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I im getting used to the new voice of Ash, But why did they have to change
    the voices of James,Meowth,Brock,May,Max,and Prof. Oak.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    Straight to the point.

I'm used to Ash's new VA. That hardly changes the fact that Ash now sounds like he's being forced through puberty, or possibly has a terminal form of bronchitis.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The new voice is tolerable. Not horrible, but could be way better.

Of course, it's probably because I'm biased. See, if I was going to pick someone other than Veronica Taylor to do Ash's voice (like if my life depended on it), I'd go with Barbara Goodson. She wouldn't sound like Veronica, but she'd still do a great job.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I really don't mind the new voice for Ash, because Ash is already bad as it is (no offense). It makes no difference really, though he does feel like someone different, but I'll grow into it. :\

BlackLabel-Atreyu

Shikamaru - The Lazy Genius
    Years
  • I say we'll all get used to it.
    But for now, it just really sucks :P
    Plus there really is no passion in the acting, it's just flat.
    It made me mad one time, haha, I mean even if he were going through puberty(which he oughta be like at least 16 by now) he'd still have some passion in his voice no matter how it was changing!

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 29, 2007
    My first impression of Ash's new voice is that it seemed like he caught a "frog in is throat" and kind of altered his voice. I agree that it makes him sound older and I also agree that I miss Veronica do Ash's voice but I could get used to his new voice. He still rocks anyway!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Years
  • Well I read through all this, and I don't think I found an example of Ash's new voice, so if anyone knows where I can find it, can someone please post a link of an example of Ash's new voice? Maybe a youtube link?

Edit: Ok I found a link on youtube to the first episode of Battle Frontier episodes and it's got Ash's new voice. If anyone else wants to see it, I'll post a link, that is if I am allowed, is it against the rules to post it? I just want to be sure before I do.

Back