• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

• Male

Votes: 126 91.3%
  • Female

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Way back when in "Pikachu's Goodbye," wasn't Pikachu flirting with a blatantly female Pikachu with a flower on its head? Yet more evidence toward it being male if I remember correctly...

But yeah, Pikachu's obviously male.

Actually, this isn't true. If it's the anime you're talking about, then that Pikachu he was flirting with didn't have a flower on it's head. Instead, it was just smaller than all the other Pikachu. Like a baby Pikachu. :3 I think you're talking about the manga, Electric Tale of Pikachu, which isn't really connected to the anime in the first place. ^^u

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Well, for the majority of the English Dub, Pikachu had his Japanese voice. Also, Edward Elric was dubbed by a female in Japanese, and there are myriads of other shows in which male characters are voiced by females and vice versa. It isn't all over, but it's a notable amount.

I know. Women generally voice young boys since they don't sound a gruff as older men.

Xashlei

Contest Nerd
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2009
    I think Pikachu is a male. My sis used to tell me it was a girl because we had stickers of Pikachu wearing ribbons or dresses, but I'm pretty sure those weren't official. Also I don't think they'd made Buneary lesbian...

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    It is a male! LOL! XD Plus bunarys a girl and I think bunary fancies Pikachu! ^_~

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Ash's Pikachu is a male, this has been known for way long back. There have been cases where Pikachu seems to like hanging around female trainers, as well as Buneary's crush on Pikachu. I also recall in the show Pikachu being referred to as "he" quite a few times as well.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Japanese voice in English?
    Yes, I watched video. I think you're right.
    Yeah, some Pokemon keep the exact same voice that they did in Japanese, others are dubbed over by English voice actors for the Pokemon that have different names in Japanese and English. Off the top of my head, Pachirisu and Buizel also keep their Japanese voices. But I still think Pikachu is a boy ~

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    I'm assuming the male, female Pikachu difference doesn't count. Because it should! I'm pretty sure they put that in DPPT to show people that.

Ash is voiced by a woman >.>

I think Pikachu is male, though...after all, they're not going to have buneary being a lesbian, are they?

There's that factor too! Unless someone here pulls an Edgeworth, I think there's no proof that Pikachu's female.

cerulean15

♫Mysterious Melody♪
    Years
    Even before Buneary came in, I always looked at Pikachu as being a male Pokemon. I don't know why... his personality just matches a guy's a guess. XD Plus whenever they went in those hot bath things, wouldn't Pikachu go with Misty/May/Dawn/whoever instead of going to the guy's side with Ash?

Well sometimes Pikachu would go to the guy's side with Ash. It usually would split most of the time, but Pikachu does have a very affectionate side towards Misty/May (not sure on Dawn since I dont watch Diamond and Pearl that much). But since I first started watching Pokemon the moment it appeared I always thought of it as him. Plus remember watching an episode from the second season when it was re-airing on boomerang. It was the one where Butch and Cassidy made Pokemon go evil...Ash called Pikachu a boy in that one when referring to him to Officer Jenny after Pikachu and Togepi attacked the group and then left.

But like most have said, only the dubs show more hints, yet the Japanese do too. Look at the many Pokemon Contest for Dawn, the other Pokemon be wearing cheerleading outfits why Pikachu still hasn't been caught dead in one. Why Piplup? I don't kno...T_T but thats off topic

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    It has always been my general belief that Pikachu is a boy... I think it was referred to as "he" like someone else has said above. But, I guess it could be left up to interpretation.

Back