• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA Ask Jan Anything!

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Are you sure you lost your berries and didn't eat them?

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    I like how literally three out of four of these questions are about my berries.

why are you still trying to find your berries

Because I haven't found them!

what kind of berries have you lost

My berries!

Are you sure you lost your berries and didn't eat them?

If I did eat them then I still need to find new berries!

Mind telling us about your avatar? :3

So this was a gift from an artist friend of mine named Cloudpool (link in my sig) who is the artist of PMD: Stars Above. They've been drawing people's sonas for practice and what not lately. So they drew my pokesona, Shaylava (quilava/shaymin), but with the flower in pink, yellow, and blue since I'm pansexual and that's the pan flag pattern.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Shaylava, cute idea. Do you also have a non-pokemon fursona?

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    Shaylava, cute idea. Do you also have a non-pokemon fursona?

I do! She's an otter! Her original artwork was gifted to be by the artist, Ellamred.

Ask Jan Anything!

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    When did you get into art? Like how old were you? Also, any tips for beginner artists?

I've been drawing since I was really little but I didn't actually start taking it seriously until I was 18 or 19, as a freshman in college. So I kinda got in it pretty late in the game compared to some of the other artists in my community.

Practice practice practice. You only learn and get better at stuff if you practice. But make sure you're practicing the right stuff. Use references and study the fundamentals. It's not always fun but I didn't get better at drawing humans until I started regularly practicing their anatomy, and while my skills aren't the best, they're better than what they were because I've been taking the time to study things like anatomy. There's tons of resources online and don't be afraid to reach out to other artists for advice as well. That's where I first got my start on learning the basics.

So in short, study, use references, and practice what you learn!

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    whos the first person your knew had berries

I think it was my dad! He gave me blackberries when I was very little.

Favorite berry?

Probably blackberries but elderberries are pretty dang good too, especially in jam form.

perhaps a silly question, but what got you so involved into politics?

Not silly at all! This ended up being a semi long answer but the short version is I got involved with political programs in middle and high school that I really enjoyed. They taught me a lot about the process and also how people think and it was all just very interesting to see how people reacted to different decisions made the government.

That said it's a bit of a love hate relationship sometimes. ^^;

Spoiler:

Years
    what are some lessons that:

a) you've personally learned after the outcome of the 2016 election and:
    b) you feel the US as a whole should learn after the 2016 election

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    what are some lessons that:

a) you've personally learned after the outcome of the 2016 election and:
    b) you feel the US as a whole should learn after the 2016 election

Oooh now these are some good questions.

A) I have learned a lot coming out of the 2016 election and in the years following. As much as I dislike him, I cannot deny that the Trump Administration has been a very interesting presidency to study. From the use of sociolinguistics to the economics of immigration and many other topics, there is so much I could unpack here. But to answer your question, I think the two things I realized coming right out of the gate of the 2016 election were the science behind political polling and the power of a good PR team. I'll give sorta in-depth explanations for both and put the TLDRs with them.

TLDR for Polling: Polling has grown largely more inaccurate over the years due to how people are surveyed. Numbers will almost always be off, the media bias sometimes making it worse. You can still consult polling numbers, but do so on sites with only slight bias, which you can figure out using Media Bias Fact Check.

Spoiler:

TLDR for good PR Team: A good PR team knows how to manipulate both positive and negative news to make a candidate appeal to their voters, which is exactly what we've seen happening with President Trump and is highly suspected to be the reason he's so vocal on Twitter.

Spoiler:

B) There's a lot that can be taken away from this election, as you just saw, but I think the most important thing that anyone should take away from this election is that your anger, rage, and intense feelings will be used against you. If there's one thing this administration has mastered, it's turning people against each other. Do not let them divide you. People can coexist with differing political views and have for thousands of years. Compromises can be achieved.

Also call your senators and representatives!! Just like the opt in online polling, only the most passionate people tend to call the offices of their congresspeople, so if you want them to reflect your views, then tell them. Even if you don't actually speak with the Congressman or woman themselves, they have a staff that will put your comment, concern, or complaint into a system that factors into every future decision or move of the politician. If you want them to impeach the president, then call and tell them that. If you want them to vote no on a climate change bill, tell them. Because what's happening right now is that the voices of the extremes are the loudest, which means that those in Congress act to reflect their views, which further divides the country.

But most importantly, like I said before, don't let yourselves get divided. Several political clubs on my campus tore themselves apart because the exec boards fed into the extremism, and such can be seen occurring across the country. We, as a society, are starting to lean into "if you're not totally with me then you're completely against me" mentality, which is very dangerous as it leaves no room for discussion or compromise.

People like Tucker Carlson have had people protesting at their homes or while at dinner because people disagree with their political views and people justify it by saying "they support Trump they deserve it." And that should not be okay or the way things are. Tucker Carlson wasn't even home for those protests, it was his wife and kids who were home, potentially terrified for their lives since I know I would be. You can't let political views let you forget that we are all people and that we can work together to achieve great things.

Back