• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ask simple questions here!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Are there any specific pokestops for getting ultra balls at? Like Major buildings
    Nope, each PokéStop has the same chance of giving each item as any other PokéStop :) As for Ultra Balls, you'll start receiving them once you hit level 20 if you haven't already!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    How do you attack in gym battles? :p
    Also what level do you get Great balls and Hyper potions.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
    How do you attack in gym battles? :p
    Also what level do you get Great balls and Hyper potions.

1. Tap the screen to throw out your basic attack.

2. Hold the screen and once you've charged long enough (it doesn't take long) your Pokemon will unleash a more super move that takes more time to execute.
    2a. Don't worry, it will unleash the attack on its own even while your finger is still on the screen, so you don't need to worry about "how long do I have to hold down before letting go" or anything like that.
    2b. Your Pokemon's attacks, both basic and super, can be found at the bottom of their page, under the Evolve button. Sometimes otherwise-identical Pokemon have different movesets.

3. Swipe left or right to dodge attacks. This is extremely sketchy and can be laggy, however, so it seems nearly impossible to dodge your foe's normal attacks and only slightly easier to dodge your foe's super moves (which are more telegraphed).
    3a. Some people argue that the best way to win is forget dodging and just go offensive, while some other people claim that even a CP 10 Weedle can defeat anything with good dodging and patience.
    ((That is an exaggeration, obviously. Gym battles are timed.))

4. You unlock great balls at level 12 and hyper potions at level 15. Once unlocked, you have a small chance of getting them from any Pokéstop.

------------

Hey! I'm just bringing this back up because it never reached any kind of conclusion and we're still not sure what the deal is regarding Incense-during-walking.
    I have read online that Incense summons a Pokemon every 5 minutes when standing still, and every 1 minute when walking.

I used my first one today, while on a long walk, and only got about 5 Pokemon during the whole time, spread out over the duration.

What was I doing wrong?

Hmm, I've never heard that. I don't think you were doing anything wrong. Your experience lines up precisely with my experience.

Several different sources/articles online have stated that walking during an active Incense increases the spawn rate to one every minute instead of one every five minutes. If it was just one source I would write it off, but...

Huh. I'll be interested to see what others say, then... But I've used incense multiple times while walking and have never had such a gain from it.

It's every five minutes if you're standing still. It's every minute or every 200 meters if you're consistently moving.

Consistently huh? Does that mean you can't stand still for a moment to, I don't know, toss a Pokeball or wait for traffic?

Anyone with an idea about this is encouraged to chime in. Or should I make a whole new topic about it?

------------

Finally, I have one more question - well, maybe two.
    Razz Berries: do they last the entire encounter, or do their effects wear off after the Pokemon breaks free of a ball?
    Which is more "powerful" to capture rate, Razz Berry or Great Ball?

Last edited:

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    How are the Eeveelutions ranked now? I've heard Vaporeon is the best, but which one - Jolteon or Flareon - is the 'worst' so to speak?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Vaporeon is the best, flareon is good until you get hold of an Arcanine. Jolteon is poor but is currently the best electric type I've found so far. That is partly why water types are so overpowered atm because the electric types aren't good enough to take them down

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Finally, I have one more question - well, maybe two.
    Razz Berries: do they last the entire encounter, or do their effects wear off after the Pokemon breaks free of a ball?
    Which is more "powerful" to capture rate, Razz Berry or Great Ball?
    Razz Berries only last until you next hit the Pokémon with a ball rather than the whole encounter so as you phrased it, they wear off after the Pokémon breaks free from a ball. Had a lot of Pokémon escape from not knowing this XD As for how powerful they are, berries and Great Balls both give a 1.5x chance to capture each and Ultra Balls give a 2x chance!

As for your Incense question, I believe it's widely thought that Incense does in fact work better whilst you're moving but you have to be moving over a set speed limit in order to witness it. I'm not at all certain on whether this is true or what the limit is so I'll take a look around and edit into this post if I end up finding anything concrete.

Vaporeon is the best, flareon is good until you get hold of an Arcanine. Jolteon is poor but is currently the best electric type I've found so far. That is partly why water types are so overpowered atm because the electric types aren't good enough to take them down
    This is how I understand it haha. Vaporeon > Flareon > Jolteon is the commonly described trend but all three do have a slight niche, even if it's not a big one.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I think it's very much a case of if you have a lot of eevee's in your area then it's a guaranteed way of getting a strong fire and electric type. However flareon and jolteon have low HP so Flareon can easily be replaced by Arcanine, I still haven't found a better electric type than jolteon but my area is very rare for electric types

Years
    Question:

Do I lose a small amount of potential CP by maxing it out?

At this point, I have several Pokemon I'm working on leveling with Stardust. But, if I level one all the way to the max of its curve (currently, I know, since I'll be able to go further after I level up again)? In other words, if it is at 1580 and the max for my current level is, say, 1600--is there something behind the scenes where I would normally gain +40 for the power up but since this is it's current CP ceiling, it will only take me to 1600? Thus losing out on 20CP from that power up?

Years
    Question:

Do I lose a small amount of potential CP by maxing a Pokemon out as high as my level allows?

At this point I have several Pokemon I'm working on leveling with Stardust.

But, if I level one all the way to the max of its curve (currently, I know, since I'll be able to go further after I level up again) do I miss out on maximizing my gains? In other words, if it is at 1580 and the max for my current level is, say, 1600--is there something behind the scenes where I would normally gain +40 for the power up but since this is it's current CP ceiling, it will only take me to 1600? Thus losing out on 20CP from that power up?

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
    Razz Berries only last until you next hit the Pokémon with a ball rather than the whole encounter so as you phrased it, they wear off after the Pokémon breaks free from a ball. Had a lot of Pokémon escape from not knowing this XD As for how powerful they are, berries and Great Balls both give a 1.5x chance to capture each and Ultra Balls give a 2x chance!
    Thank you very much!
    As for your Incense question, I believe it's widely thought that Incense does in fact work better whilst you're moving but you have to be moving over a set speed limit in order to witness it. I'm not at all certain on whether this is true or what the limit is so I'll take a look around and edit into this post if I end up finding anything concrete.
    Hm, over a certain speed limit, yet below the speed limit that tells the game that you're in a vehicle and disallows egg hatching?

I still wonder if you have to be constantly on the move for it to give you the increased spawn rate.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Question:

Do I lose a small amount of potential CP by maxing a Pokemon out as high as my level allows?

At this point I have several Pokemon I'm working on leveling with Stardust.

But, if I level one all the way to the max of its curve (currently, I know, since I'll be able to go further after I level up again) do I miss out on maximizing my gains? In other words, if it is at 1580 and the max for my current level is, say, 1600--is there something behind the scenes where I would normally gain +40 for the power up but since this is it's current CP ceiling, it will only take me to 1600? Thus losing out on 20CP from that power up?
    Yep you lose out! I was powering up my Tangela a couple days ago to max and he was gaining 21ish per level, then on the last one he only gained 8. Sucks but at least it's only once? XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    Question On Pokestops

So far it says I've visited 35 pokestops but from my memory cannot memorize that many after writing them down on a piece of paper. I've remembered about 28 I went to. Just wondering if the other 7 were returns I did to some or even gyms.

Years
    So far it says I've visited 35 pokestops but from my memory cannot memorize that many after writing them down on a piece of paper. I've remembered about 28 I went to. Just wondering if the other 7 were returns I did to some or even gyms.

revisits count too, every pokestop you spin count in your medal section

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2016
    ### What Does Powering Up Do Besides Increasing Hp? ###

What does powering up/increasing the cp of a pokemon do besides increasing its HP?
    It's said that CP = stronger pokemon. But i find that a shallow explanation. So when you power up your pokemon does it also increase its attack, defence and stamina or just the HP?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    The CP equation is:

CP = floor((Base Attack + Attack IV) * (Base Defense + Defense IV)^0.5 * (Base HP + HP IV)^0.5 * (PowerUpValue^2) / 10 )​

This might not mean a lot but basically CP is determined by taking into account the HP, Attack and Defence stats for the Pokémon and all three of these increase when you power up a Pokémon. Your damage, defence and HP all increase slightly :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2016
    ### How to Calculate IV precisely? ###

Is there a more precise way to calculate the IV of the pokemon than provided at pokeassistant and thesilproad? Most of the time your calculations have at least 3-4 variations. Some of the calculations show different variations from %100 to even %70. How will i know which one is my Pokemon's real IV?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    The IV calculators which were accessing the server's data to find the exact IVs for Pokémon have been taken down now with Niantic's latest 3rd party banning spree, so the next best thing is just to use one of the standard input data sites and hope for the best. A lot of the sites have an option to enter stats once and then to enter them again after powering up once - these tend to give a lot more accurate results so go for this method if you're looking for as much accuracy as possible.

Back