• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asperger's Syndrome

Autistic Lucario

Life is too short not to enjoy
    Years
    I have it. Asperger's isn't necessarily a bad thing. In some cases, it can be wonderful. If it wasn't for Asperger's, this site probably wouldn't exist right now.

I too have addictive habits. Listening to a certain kind of music, for example. I can compose music but my real talent is my writing.

I've also made a few people laugh with my motivational posters :). It's good practice for humor that otherwise wouldn't make sense to me.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    I was diagnosed with it as a child, and tbh I absolutely hate it. It just seems so limiting - it always makes me feel like I can't accomplish anything in life. My childhood was just filled with thought of failure, and it used to just make me feel like a failure.

Emphasis on "used to". I've been teaching myself to work my way around Asperger's, and the crew I hang out with can really help there as well. Tbh, I've oinly told a few people I have asperger's over the past few months, and they told me they never would've guessed I ahd it. So hopefully...what I'm doing is working.

(Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that Hitler had Asperger's. But it might just be another form of Autism he has...)

Last edited:
    Years
    (Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that Hitler had Asperger's. But it might just be another form of Autism he has...)

I've come across that too. Plenty of other figures in History- Isaac Newton, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Da Vinci, etc, were all reputed as having Aspergers/an autistic spectrum disorder, and we all know that they changed the world forever. I wouldn't let it get to you.

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I have it, and as a result ive always been a bit socialy awkward XD. I have difficulty looking people in the eye maintaining conversations and making friends for example. Despite this I still managed to get into a good college so I'm hoping it won't end up having a huge impact on my life.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    They also have lack of empathy for others

Then we'd all be sociopaths *facepalm* it's not so much lack of empathy as it is trouble expressing it (ie. you don't say something because you feel it's obvious and hence doesn't need to be expressed verbally; my teachers mention this a lot while talking to me, and it's something I still struggle with when I'm feeling particularly bad because of my natural tendency to be blunt of speech).

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Nikola Tesla had OCD, not asperger's syndrome.

I knew some people at school who had asperger's syndrome but they didn't let it get the best of themselves, in fact they pretty much never showed any quirkiness around other people.

ConPO

I am the Catalyst
    Years
    I found out I had this very recently, back in November.

I was talking to my mother, just venting really, and getting worked up about life and other things such as that, and she told me that I was displaying a lot of traits of Asperger's syndrome. I was really confused about it as I said, because I never saw any of those aspects in me.

She discussed it with other members of my family (my uncle has it) and some other people. We didn't want to get a test done or anything like that, because all that costs money. My mother is a teacher in special education who teaches socially impaired people, including a lot of people with AS. She was pretty clear when she said I had it.

We have since gone along to this club for people with Autistic spectrum disorders and it's pretty clear to me now that I DO display an awful lot of the AS traits. I am pretty held back in school which I hate, and I'm unfortunately as quirky as anything.... I never got any special ed myself because we found out so recently, but I'm glad at least now that I have some label to put on why I behave the way I do.

I wouldn't call myself self diagnosed because I DIDN'T diagnose myself and my mother who works with children with AS diagnosed me, and after going along to the club, all the instructors and other members know, and can tell I've got AS. We don't have much money to pay for a diagnosis anyway....

Nice story everyone?

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    I found out I had this very recently, back in November.

I was talking to my mother, just venting really, and getting worked up about life and other things such as that, and she told me that I was displaying a lot of traits of Asperger's syndrome. I was really confused about it as I said, because I never saw any of those aspects in me.

She discussed it with other members of my family (my uncle has it) and some other people. We didn't want to get a test done or anything like that, because all that costs money. My mother is a teacher in special education who teaches socially impaired people, including a lot of people with AS. She was pretty clear when she said I had it.

We have since gone along to this club for people with Autistic spectrum disorders and it's pretty clear to me now that I DO display an awful lot of the AS traits. I am pretty held back in school which I hate, and I'm unfortunately as quirky as anything.... I never got any special ed myself because we found out so recently, but I'm glad at least now that I have some label to put on why I behave the way I do.

I wouldn't call myself self diagnosed because I DIDN'T diagnose myself and my mother who works with children with AS diagnosed me, and after going along to the club, all the instructors and other members know, and can tell I've got AS. We don't have much money to pay for a diagnosis anyway....

Nice story everyone?
    Your mother really shouldnt have told you that, why would she even do that. She could just have kept an eye on you if you seemed depressed ect.. but now you'll go around thinking all day about it , and you might not even have noticed you had those symptoms, and they might not have affected you.

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
    They also have lack of empathy for others

Then we'd all be sociopaths *facepalm*

erm... i have autism (well, when i was younger defiantly, but now i'm less noticeable than the people in my school who have asperger's)

i have a complete lack of empathy. doesn't make me go off on a shotgun rampage. cause humans have logic too. i look at friends who have; say; broken their leg and i think "ok" and that's it XD.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I'll put it this way:

I do not believe that any form of autism is as common as the commercials and media says it is. Of course my definition of autism is the known definition of "Severe Autism" or at least the upper bounds of "Moderate Autism".

Simply put, I feel like unless it obviously affects your ability to properly feed/dress/present yourself as a reasonable and civilized person, that it is NOT autism. It's the natural variance of personality in the person. I really don't believe that things such as ADD/ADHD exists either, because it isn't generally so severe that it inhibits normally required functions.

Yes, people with these "disorders" can have difficulties with things that others do not, but that doesn't make them any less normal in my eyes in the first place anyways. That being said, I think only upper moderate to severely affected people should be allowed to use it as an excuse.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, I just think that medical science is wrong on this, and will feel that way until they fully understand how our minds REALLY work on all levels.

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
    I'll put it this way:

I do not believe that any form of autism is as common as the commercials and media says it is. Of course my definition of autism is the known definition of "Severe Autism" or at least the upper bounds of "Moderate Autism".

Simply put, I feel like unless it obviously affects your ability to properly feed/dress/present yourself as a reasonable and civilized person, that it is NOT autism. It's the natural variance of personality in the person. I really don't believe that things such as ADD/ADHD exists either, because it isn't generally so severe that it inhibits normally required functions.

Yes, people with these "disorders" can have difficulties with things that others do not, but that doesn't make them any less normal in my eyes in the first place anyways. That being said, I think only upper moderate to severely affected people should be allowed to use it as an excuse.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, I just think that medical science is wrong on this, and will feel that way until they fully understand how our minds REALLY
    work on all levels.

so its within normal behavior that if i make eye contact, it feels like its burning my eyes? and that when i was in lesson, i couldn't help but stare at a flashing light on an alarm? i also have terrible problems with routine. if i am getting ready in the morning and i hit my held on a shelf, i will do exactly the same thing the next morning XD.

but the hardest thing i deal with, (and i don't know how many people here experience it) is when in some, very stressful social situation (or an English exam, never understood why though), i shut down. i literally become unable to function losing short term memory, occasionally meaning blindness (where i can see but i don't know what i'm seeing) and eventually, an uncontrollable desire to walk home forces me to go home no matter the situation. after these i have little to no memory of it, except that it hurt really badly.

in summary, i was definitely what you describe as "severe autism" when i was younger. but i'm not now. so does that mean i have (not sure what word to put here) "been cured" of it?

if any of this is offensive to anyone, i don't mean it to be :P

Last edited:

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I get tired of the millions of tweens and teens that self-diagnose themselves with autism or aspergers just by reading the Wikipedia article any saying "wow, that sounds like me! I must have that!". I actually have it, and was diagnosed by an actual doctor.

I have no "pride" in such a label. People abuse it and use it as an excuse for all of their actions. And then other state "I have autism, so I have above average intellegence and you're all stupid Neurotypicals WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!!!! BAAAWWW!!!!!111one"

Most people who react like that were either self-diagnosed or they actually have it with a side of unwarrented self-importance.

Even some adults like the infamous Chris-chan seem to play this "Autism: Get away with anything" card.

I know that many people with autism/aspergers don't do that kind of thing, including myself, but It irks me greatly.

Juleigh

I don't know?
    Years
    This is going to sound really cheesy, but I think everyone is beautiful and everyone has their own unique and precious mind and way of thinking and perceiving things. People explain what they can and can't do, what they're good at and "bad" at, but I truly believe that it all evens out, as each person has qualities and abilities that make them who they are, as we are all equal.

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
    I get tired of the millions of tweens and teens that self-diagnose themselves

was this aimed at me? (not sure lol hard to tell on the internet) cause i was diagnosed with autism at 7.

but yeah i agree its annoying when people self diagnose.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    was this aimed at me? (not sure lol hard to tell on the internet) cause i was diagnosed with autism at 7.

but yeah i agree its annoying when people self diagnose.

My rant wasn't aimed at anyone specific. I was just venting.

Seven, Huh? I wasn't diagnosed until I was 14. Before that I was misdiagnosed with ADD and Mild Cerebral Palsy. Most of my doctors were not familiar with Aspergers, as the syndrome was too new for the old fuddy-duddies to know about.

Needless to say I had therapy that helped fix any coordination problems I had and am now able to look people in the eye and converse with strangers. Granted, most coversations are one-sided rants by moi.

Right now, my big obssession is my Super Famicom(The Japanese version of SNES), freshly imported with 18 games and numerous accessories. But, unlike when I was younger, I AM able to listen to others and interpret their feelings and know when they don't want to talk.

Years
    • Age 30
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    I have it also, although my case is not as serious. I'm 17 and I was diagnosed with it when I was 10. Through my middle school years (6-8th grade), I hardly talked to anyone. I found it easier to talk to people online then in real life. I would always be doing something irritating in class, for example, tapping my foot, getting up every couple minutes, twirling my hair (and sometimes pulling it out :( ), and of course chewing on gum. I hated those days, cause I knew no one at all. My mom finally found a doctor and she gave me medication for it. It helped a lot. I'm now finally able to socialize better. :)

Back