• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attack animations!

Years
  • When you use moves in-game, every one of them has their own animation that's used when it makes contact with the foe, or yourself if it's a self-targeting move. Some of them have rather basic animations, like Normal-type moves, but when we look at special moves mostly, they can have some pretty sick showings.

Do any in particular look especially cool to you when used? Which ones really stand out to you? Discuss.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I love Solar Beam and Thunderbolt from Gen III games, Outrage Flare Blitz is B2W2, Aura Sphere and Close Combat in Gen V, Energy Ball and Ice Beam in Gen VI, Bubble Beam, Body Slam from Gen I, Giga Drain from Gen II. Flamethrower and Hydro Pump in OrAs.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I paid the most attention to the attack animations during Emerald, and I recalled that I liked the animations for Ice Beam, Blizzard, Defense Curl, Thunder and Silver Wind. Never really focused on the animations on the later games, unfortunately!

Years
  • Most of my fave animations for attacks come from 5th and 6th Gen for some reason. Notable ones for me include Flash Cannon (both 4th and 5th Gen), Surf in 3rd-5th Gen (which actually had a proper wave while 6th Gen didn't), Water Pulse in B2/W2, Aura Sphere in HG/SS, Psyshock in 6th Gen, Air Slash in 4th/5th Gen, and Dragon Rush, Draco Meteor, Retaliate and Calm Mind in 6th Gen. Then there's also Psybeam and Aurora Beam which I loved the animations of in 4th and 5th Gen, which I really loved the rainbow colours of.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Thunderbolt's animation is cool because it's not average thunder attack, Gen5/6 impress me with Flamethrower animation it just beautiful by animation flowing through it, Gen 6 Ice beam impress me again with the icing on top instead just hit and freeze, it shows with actual ice when the attack is cast or enemy is hit because the past gens the ice beam just a beam (I'm talking to you Gen1/2) while Gen3/4/5 was way impressive, but Gen3 just mimic gen2 with bit more flow.

Years
  • Outrage in B2W2 is one of my favorite animations EVER. Close Combat in Generation VI is pretty cool as well, and I like most Thunder animations too. In general, B2W2 had a LOT of attacks that got really cool scenes to them, like Flare Blitz, DynamicPunch, Superpower, and even Giga Impact. And i'll also give mention to Hydro Cannon and Blast Burn in Generations IV and VI as well.

Reactions: Sun

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I really like the animation for Aurora Beam, especially the Generation V version. It's not a great move, but it's beautiful to look at.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I LOVED Dark Pulse in Gen V and Ice Beam, Tho they changed how Dark Pulse sounds :/
    but still one of my fave attacks. Energy Ball was pretty as well!

I mostly like Dark type or Ice type attacks. Or pokemon :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Roar of Time from generation four.

Its effects seemed to have been very... out there, at least in my eyes, and as it's the signature move of Dialga--a legendary Pokémon--I believe Roar of Time
    s animation suits itself pretty well.

Aside from that I'm also a fan of Flamethrower from generation six, as well as Giga Drain from gen five.

Years
  • Gen 6 Ice beam impress me again with the icing on top instead just hit and freeze, it shows with actual ice when the attack is cast or enemy is hit because the past gens the ice beam just a beam (I'm talking to you Gen1/2) while Gen3/4/5 was way impressive, but Gen3 just mimic gen2 with bit more flow.

I can see where you are coming from here. I felt like most Ice Beam animations lacked something and 6th Gen made me finally work out what it was missing, which was those snowflakes that appeared when the attack is used. I also love Freeze-Dry in that it encases the target in a huge chunk of ice for a bit. 6th Gen Blizzard also looked cool because it was like a strong wind of snow and ice being blown towards the target. Icicle Crash also looks way more epic compared to its 5th Gen version, blowing ice up in to the air and then having the icicles come crashing down on the target.

Both of Kyurem's alternate formes' signature moves, Ice Burn and Freeze Shock have awesome animations as well. Seriously, Ice-type really has been given the epic treatment with move animations lately.

Outrage in B2W2 is one of my favorite animations EVER. Close Combat in Generation VI is pretty cool as well, and I like most Thunder animations too. In general, B2W2 had a LOT of attacks that got really cool scenes to them, like Flare Blitz, DynamicPunch, Superpower, and even Giga Impact. And i'll also give mention to Hydro Cannon and Blast Burn in Generations IV and VI as well.

I forgot about Outrage there, and I do agree with you on B2/W2's version with the flames and everything. I loved most of Thunder's animations as well, except for 4th Gen that is (I didn't like how fat the bolt looked on that one) but they all have that awesome scene of summoning a thundercloud with that bolt dropping down. I was also a fan of Overheat's animation in 5th and 6th Gen, particularly the former when you have steam coming out after the attack is used.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Thunder has always looked cool as heck to me in every generation. I thought it was a really cool touch in Gen 6 the way the camera pans up and shows the stormclouds. Really adds to the realism and makes it feel like a super powerful move.

Also, Spacial Rend is another favorite of mine. It's a cool attack to begin with, charging at an opponent so fast that it tears through space, but the animation really captures that quite well with the screen shattering effect ^^

I miss the Minimize animation from Gen 1, where the Pokemon actually becomes like, so small you can barely see it on your Gameboy screen, and stays like that for the whole battle :D I'm actually surprised they didn't bring that back, since it made sense because the effects of minimize persist until the Pokemon gets switched out (Stomp does double damage against a minimized Pokemon)

CharBrothers

Martin Mystery
    Years
  • I really liked Thunderbolt in Gen III. Although, that move has lower PP than the others. It is beautiful to look at. (Specially if you're opponent is Water-type) ;)

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Thunder always has an awesome animation, even in the first, where cool animations were really rare. Many dragon type moves have great animations too, like Dragon Claw in Gen III and VI, Roar of Time in Gen IV and Twister in Gens IV, V, VI. The latter's animation implies a much stronger move than a boring power 40 dragon move.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Both of Kyurem's alternate formes' signature moves, Ice Burn and Freeze Shock have awesome animations as well. Seriously, Ice-type really has been given the epic treatment with move animations lately.

I do agree, Ice animation needs to be cooler (pun) instead lack luster, simple, crappy and boring kinda way and Blizzard impress me again on gen6 with some serious moves.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I kind of forgot of some animations so I don't have a big list :/
    I like the Water-Pulse move from B2/W2 ! Kind of shows an underwater environment which is very beautiful!
    I looove the animation for Retaliate in X and Y (I don't think in ORAS is different though), OMG I just can't tell what I feel when I see this attack, it's so badass!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I kind of forgot of some animations so I don't have a big list :/
    I like the Water-Pulse move from B2/W2 ! Kind of shows an underwater environment which is very beautiful!
    I looove the animation for Retaliate in X and Y (I don't think in ORAS is different though), OMG I just can't tell what I feel when I see this attack, it's so badass!

Ohh yes! How could I forget about Retaliate? That's one of those moves I use all the time in-game simply because it's so cool to watch!

Years
  • I don't really pay too much attention to the animations anymore but Gen 6 has some really pretty animations. Was nice to see them put so much effort into them and make them look really nice.

You do have to admit we're on this together. The animations had tons more effort to make them look so glorious, no surprise given this was the first fully 3D game so it was natural to see the improvements to attacks visually as well.

Back