• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attacks in the show vs Attacks in the game

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
Years
  • How come in the anime they're so much more powerful. Attacks like Bullet seed, Water gun and ember seem to be crazy powerful in the show. and when ever piplup uses Whirlpool it looks like a huge force not to mess with.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • In the show they have more freedom with moves too. Like, Ash can turn around and say, "Pikachu, Quick Attack into a Thunderbolt!" or whatever he does nowadays. We, on our games, must wait for Quick Attack to finish. Then recieve damage from the foe. Then Thunderbolt.

In the anime they also create new moves by combining existing moves. If they allowed that in the game, it would be... devastating! >.<

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    Yesterday i was watching D/P series when ash was fighting roark.

Roarks onix used screech and pikachu fainted.. wtf?

Ayselipera

The games need to be balanced. If every move in the game was just as strong as in the anime then there would be less of a challenge. By giving each move a set power you can create a more competitive and diverse game. I personally think it would be a little silly and not as fun if you could easily wipe out other Pokemon with moves like water gun and ember.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In the games, I consider it like a Pokemon has to master the use and control of weaker powered attacks before they can learn to use and properly control the more powerful ones. It's like as you grow up you start to get more privileges as you prove yourself to be able to handle them; Pokemon get the privilege to use more powerful attacks as they become more experienced at using them.

As for the anime, all common sense is thrown out the window, such as the infamous "AIM 4 TEH HORN" and the less famous but equally irritating (IMO) "Pikachu use your tail as a spring!" that I recall being used during the battle with Drake (the Orange League guy).

And Bullet Seed needs to be powerful in the anime; how else would Ash's token Grass-type ever hope to burst Team Rocket's balloons!?!

But it all comes down to the games being turn-based and the anime more real-time, at least in comparison.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • The games need to be balanced. If every move in the game was just as strong as in the anime then there would be less of a challenge. By giving each move a set power you can create a more competitive and diverse game. I personally think it would be a little silly and not as fun if you could easily wipe out other Pokemon with moves like water gun and ember.

The anime shouldn't make attacks looks so strong. Water gun seems to be on Par with Thunderbolt and flamthrower in the show. But in the game thunderbolt and Flamethrower have over double the base power of water gun

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I think it just appeals to some people who havent played the games.

Then theyll play the games and use Whirlpool and theyll be like WTF?

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
  • The games need to be balanced. If every move in the game was just as strong as in the anime then there would be less of a challenge. By giving each move a set power you can create a more competitive and diverse game. I personally think it would be a little silly and not as fun if you could easily wipe out other Pokemon with moves like water gun and ember.

This is it spot on. Consider the TV as being part of the 'rule of cool' - it doesn't matter what the rules are, if it is cool enough then it will get broken. In the game though the balance dictates things, making things happen just because it would be cool does not work, we would end up with a 'broken' game open to abuse (even more than it is now).

The TV show is about the audience, the game is about the participants

Kai Yamato

Lone Soldier
    Years
  • Really? Personally I think Draco Meteor was meh. I was expecting meteors summoned from the sky just like the traditional Meteor spell in FF games.

Now, Hydro Cannon is just terrible. I mean what the heck is that? A giant blue ball of... something. Glowing water, maybe? I was expecting a powerful blue water beam just like in the games.

So, not all attacks in the anime look good. :/

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
  • Really? Personally I think Draco Meteor was meh. I was expecting meteors summoned from the sky just like the traditional Meteor spell in FF games.

Now, Hydro Cannon is just terrible. I mean what the heck is that? A giant blue ball of... something. Glowing water, maybe? I was expecting a powerful blue water beam just like in the games.

indeed, and things are silly in the game, for example a tiny little natu being able to fly you the length of a region.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2010
    How come in the anime they're so much more powerful. Attacks like Bullet seed, Water gun and ember seem to be crazy powerful in the show. and when ever piplup uses Whirlpool it looks like a huge force not to mess with.
    The only attack in the show that I like is Seismic Toss, just like the one used by Charizard.
    Others are just meh...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

I thought Draco Meteor Meteoric Swarm (sounds more mysterious) looked awesome in the anime. A black vortex forming in front of you, then raining down fiery rocks on the foe...

But I agree about Hydro Cannon being a failure in the anime. In the games, it's basically a more flashy version of Hydro Pump. A glowing water ball makes it even worse, and you'd think that a highly pressurized stream of water could deal way more massive damage than a simple water ball ever could...

I grew up watching the anime before learning that the games devised the original Pokemon concept, so I always thought whenever I get a Squirtle I'd teach it Water Gun. Kind of disappointing when you learn it's on par with Ember and Thundershock rather than Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, as well as being outclassed by the Water move Surf in the games (yet Surf rarely appears on the TV show as the tsunami-like attack it is depicted as gamewise)

And another thing: why does Magma Storm suck in the anime as well? According to the picture I saw of Heatran, in the anime Magma Storm is just a bigger version of Fire Spin (which is essentially a rotating Flamethrower, which is not much of a difference in itself IMO). I know it's a variant of Fire Spin, but more than the size should be different, at least. The game screenshot I saw led me to believe that spiraling columns of fire should be descending on the foe from the sky, thus trapping the enemy in a damaging flaming vortex. Now that is a major step up from a Pokemon simply shooting out a stream of fire from the mouth... Furthermore, the game variant of Magma Storm sets up the precedent for what Legendary Pokemon should be capable of...

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • Attacks in the show are much more powerful so that it would appeal to the younger audience. However, it still bugs me that water gun is almost as strong as hydro pump.

Back