• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Auslogic Disk Defrag

Years
  • This program really ticked me off, today. I decided I was going to defrag my system, since I had deleted files and uninstalled a lot of programs. It worked fine for me before, but today it really messed up. You know, since it is a defrag program, you would think that it would do just that. Wrong. It fragmented my hard drive worse than what it was before, and it even made my Program Files (x86) directory unreadable! Never using this piece of garbage again for a while. I guess one good thing came out of this, though. I needed to re-install Windows anyway, and it gave me a reason to (Still running the Win7 Beta as of this writing).

Also, take into account that I have used this program in the past and have had success with it. I am not blindly using it for the first time and bashing it.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I seriously doubt it was the program that did the damage.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Defraggler works great now; it gets better every release. One thing I've always liked is that I can sort by file size and defrag anything less than a certain file size, which not only cuts down on time A LOT, but also prevents large files that are only split in two or something from being unnecessarily defragged.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Pretty much anyone who is using a Windows OS made after Windows 2000 isn't using FAT32. And sometimes the disk does need to be defragged (but very, very rarely).

It doesn't need to be, and it isn't going to improve performance whatsoever so it's not worth even installing a defragger.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It doesn't need to be, and it isn't going to improve performance whatsoever so it's not worth even installing a defragger.
    That's not correct. It's a myth, and I have no idea where it started. Probably some BS Microsoft advertising that said NTFS doesn't get fragmented, when it does. Or maybe the background defragger throws people off. It does some defragmenting, but if you open up any defrag program after you've been using your computer for a while (including the bundled one), you'll be able to easily see that your files are heavily fragmented, which does degrade performance (less so on modern hard drives, but still noticeably).

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    maybe 7 isnt supported.
    boo, i use the windows one.
    no, tune up utilities has one.

Back