• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

autism

Years
    Well that's the same for almost all birth abnormalities, because as you age the sperm production becomes less reliable and more prone to errors, though still functioning. Unlike women who produce all of their eggs long before they ever ovulate.

AND THAT CONCLUDES GENETICS 101, CLASS.

Very true. And people who have children later in life wonder why their kids are messed up. :/

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    Personally, I think that "autism", just like "attention deficit disorder" are just things psychiatrists made up to make money and stigmatize people who are different. I was told that I had a form of autism when I was in grade school, but I know now that was baloney because I never had trouble speaking or making friends. >:)

I was just really, really crazy about Pokemon.

CounterattackDreamer

Impetuous and silly
    Years
    Personally, I think that "autism", just like "attention deficit disorder" are just things psychiatrists made up to make money and stigmatize people who are different. I was told that I had a form of autism when I was in grade school, but I know now that was baloney because I never had trouble speaking or making friends. >:)

I was just really, really crazy about Pokemon.
    Actually, that's not true. Scientifically, kids with Autism have differently-wired brains from those who do not. Scientifically, they have developed in the womb in a different way than people who are "normal." The same thing applies with ADD.

For instance, most people are rather neuro-typical -- however, in the brains of some under the umbrella of ASD, their neurons in their brain either don't work properly or have a hard time passing from point A to B. This means the processing of a proper reaction as well as keeping a lid on other reactions is more difficult.

Years
    Actually, that's not true. Scientifically, kids with Autism have differently-wired brains from those who do not. Scientifically, they have developed in the womb in a different way than people who are "normal." The same thing applies with ADD.

For instance, most people are rather neuro-typical -- however, in the brains of some under the umbrella of ASD, their neurons in their brain either don't work properly or have a hard time passing from point A to B. This means the processing of a proper reaction as well as keeping a lid on other reactions is more difficult.

That may be true, but Autism and ADD are extremely over-diagnosed.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    Just be happy that it isn't as over diagnosed as it was in the 90's... EVERY Kid in my school was on some sort of medication for ADD, or was told they have autism.

The only thing was, you could tell who did and didn't actually have it... There IS a difference, you just have to look harder.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    Just be happy that it isn't as over diagnosed as it was in the 90's... EVERY Kid in my school was on some sort of medication for ADD, or was told they have autism.

The only thing was, you could tell who did and didn't actually have it... There IS a difference, you just have to look harder.

And you can bet the shrinks and drug makers made a killing off of it too, until people wisened up. ;)

It seems that since the 90's, any difference is a disease to be cured. ;P

Years

Oh God that's true. :/ Everybody had ADD in the 90's it seems. And yeah, the differences are there, and it doesn't always take a physicians eye to discern it. My mother is a Special needs teacher, specializing in Autism and its related disorders. All she has to do is look at the kid and she can tell.

Fyreflies

Blazin' trails through Kanto
    Years
    Exactly, The spectrum encompasses many autistic-related disorders, But for some reason they all get dubbed as Autistic if they fall under it. :/ Doesnt make much sense to me.

One of my friends is "autistic" and this irks me. Someone who is socially awkward and eccentric but intelligent doesn't need to be "treated" the same as someone who struggles to do even basic things.

I visited his (high) school once which specialized in working with kids who have autism or mental/behavioral disorders, and it was a little sad what kind of people were all umbrella'd together. One of their courses was a basic cooking class emphasizing not to touch hot things and how to use a microwave. They decided this all was similarly appropriate for someone capable of leading a normal but reclusive life, and someone who actually struggled with said class.

I think it's not only over-exaggerated, but the over-exaggeration and lack of fine distinctions can further stunt people who are simply sort of awkward or strange. Most kids with mild autism would, in my opinion, get by fine with nothing more than a little one-on-one for their problem areas. These schools, among other things, are probably making it worse.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    One of my friends is "autistic" and this irks me. Someone who is socially awkward and eccentric but intelligent doesn't need to be "treated" the same as someone who struggles to do even basic things.

I visited his (high) school once which specialized in working with kids who have autism or mental/behavioral disorders, and it was a little sad what kind of people were all umbrella'd together. One of their courses was a basic cooking class emphasizing not to touch hot things and how to use a microwave. They decided this all was similarly appropriate for someone capable of leading a normal but reclusive life, and someone who actually struggled with said class.

I think it's not only over-exaggerated, but the over-exaggeration and lack of fine distinctions can further stunt people who are simply sort of awkward or strange. Most kids with mild autism would, in my opinion, get by fine with nothing more than a little one-on-one for their problem areas. These schools, among other things, are probably making it worse.

Definitely. People that emphasize a child's differences rather than what they have in common with 'normal' people is making the problem much worse than it should be.

Years

Oh I agree- I see that all the time as my Mom is a teacher. The real problem is the state law and the system that determines what lands you in the special needs/Inclusion classrooms. My Mom has told of many a time where she made it very clear to upper faculty that several of her students were not even Autistic, some just had behavior issues, and some were even mentally ill, and being in a special needs class did nothing for them. But the system actually prevents many of them from getting to where they need to go.

And doctors diagnosing it left and right certainly doesn't help. :/

Years

Oh I agree- I see that all the time as my Mom is a teacher. The real problem is the state law and the system that determines what lands you in the special needs/Inclusion classrooms. My Mom has told of many a time where she made it very clear to upper faculty that several of her students were not even Autistic, some just had behavior issues, and some were even mentally ill, and being in a special needs class did nothing for them. But the system actually prevents many of them from getting to where they need to go.

And doctors diagnosing it left and right certainly doesn't help. :/

Considering that the person you're quoting lives in my state, the handling probably varies from school district to school district and possibly even case manager to case manager, since I was considered "autistic" (high-functioning autism, I was told) and didn't have to be sent away to such intellectually degrading classes. Though, at my district, those life skill classes were reserved for those who clearly needed them, and most had already been taught how either at a lower level of schooling or by their parents anyways, since personal responsibility is a cultural thing in this area. Through persistent verbal protesting on my part, I largely minimized the effect that my case manager had on the classes I took, since I largely wanted to blend in and keep that as a minor part of my high school life.

Years
    Considering that the person you're quoting lives in my state, the handling probably varies from school district to school district and possibly even case manager to case manager, since I was considered "autistic" (high-functioning autism, I was told) and didn't have to be sent away to such intellectually degrading classes. Though, at my district, those life skill classes were reserved for those who clearly needed them, and most had already been taught how either at a lower level of schooling or by their parents anyways, since personal responsibility is a cultural thing in this area. Through persistent verbal protesting on my part, I largely minimized the effect that my case manager had on the classes I took, since I largely wanted to blend in and keep that as a minor part of my high school life.

Thats true, Ohio's school systems, by and large aren't too great. :/ But that's still a state education mandate here at least, which means the scenario I described isn't unique. Regrettably.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    The definition of what people consider symptoms of autism have broadened, or it could be from an environmental cause. I'm pretty sure diagnosis, like everyone else said, has been false too.

Emonga

Autistic and proud of it
    Years
    I have heard of people trying to say that there child younger then 2, has autism. Oh really. How do you know that. I was in Kidergraden when I found out that I have autism.

Years
    What exactly are the symptoms of autism? Or, what are the symptoms that class someone under that spectrum?

That's why the diagnoses are so hard to make. It can vary from individual to individual.

Courtesy Autism.about.org-

Language-related symptoms.

• Delayed or unusual speech patterns (many autistic children, for example, memorize video scripts and repeat them word for word with the precise intonation as the TV characters)
    • High pitched or flat intonation
    • Lack of slang or "kidspeak"
    • Difficulty understanding tone of voice and body language as a way of expressing sarcasm, humor, irony, etc.
    • Lack of eye contact
    • Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes)
    A majority of autistic people are either hyper or hypo sensitive to light, sound, crowds and other external stimulation. Some have both hyper and hypo sensitivities. This often results in autistic people covering their ears, avoiding or reacting negatively to brightly lit areas, or -- on the other hand -- crashing hard into sofas and craving strong bear hugs. While it's unusual to find an autistic person who is obviously physically disabled as a result of the disorder, most autistic people do have some level of fine and gross motor difficulty. This often manifests itself in poor handwriting, difficulty with athletic coordination, etc. As a result, when autistic people get involved with sports, it's usually in individual, endurance sports such as running and swimming.

Personality Differences

While autistic people do differ from one another radically, it is fairly typical for people on the spectrum to:
    • Engage in repetitive behaviors and ritualized activities, ranging from lining up items to following a rigid routine,
    • Have one or a few passionate interests,
    • Have difficulty in making and keeping multiple friends,
    • Prefer activities that require relatively little verbal interaction.
    It also seems to be the case -- for as-yet-undetermined reasons -- that certain interests are of particular interest to many people on the autism spectrum. For example, an enormous number of young children with ASD's are fascinated by trains (and the Thomas the Tank Engine toy), while a great many older children and adults on the spectrum are interested in computers, science, technology, and animals.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

That's why the diagnoses are so hard to make. It can vary from individual to individual.

Courtesy Autism.about.org-

Language-related symptoms.

• Delayed or unusual speech patterns (many autistic children, for example, memorize video scripts and repeat them word for word with the precise intonation as the TV characters)
    • High pitched or flat intonation
    • Lack of slang or "kidspeak"
    • Difficulty understanding tone of voice and body language as a way of expressing sarcasm, humor, irony, etc.
    • Lack of eye contact
    • Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes)
    A majority of autistic people are either hyper or hypo sensitive to light, sound, crowds and other external stimulation. Some have both hyper and hypo sensitivities. This often results in autistic people covering their ears, avoiding or reacting negatively to brightly lit areas, or -- on the other hand -- crashing hard into sofas and craving strong bear hugs. While it's unusual to find an autistic person who is obviously physically disabled as a result of the disorder, most autistic people do have some level of fine and gross motor difficulty. This often manifests itself in poor handwriting, difficulty with athletic coordination, etc. As a result, when autistic people get involved with sports, it's usually in individual, endurance sports such as running and swimming.

Personality Differences

While autistic people do differ from one another radically, it is fairly typical for people on the spectrum to:
    • Engage in repetitive behaviors and ritualized activities, ranging from lining up items to following a rigid routine,
    • Have one or a few passionate interests,
    • Have difficulty in making and keeping multiple friends,
    • Prefer activities that require relatively little verbal interaction.
    It also seems to be the case -- for as-yet-undetermined reasons -- that certain interests are of particular interest to many people on the autism spectrum. For example, an enormous number of young children with ASD's are fascinated by trains (and the Thomas the Tank Engine toy), while a great many older children and adults on the spectrum are interested in computers, science, technology, and animals.
    In a way I fall under some of these, I wonder if I might be low level autistic...but then again I do have ADD...

Back