• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

autism

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013

Spoiler:

comparing these symptoms to some of the traits of the autistic children i work with, i remembered one of the autistic boys in my group has a conspicuous lazy eye and i wonder if it has any relation to his autism...>o>

so i looked up some physical symptoms:
    1. Abnormal Walking Behavior: An autistic child may may walk only on her toes, or more slowly and with short steps. She also may bump into objects because she does not have appropriate awareness of her environment.
    2. Hypersensitivity: Many autistic children are hypersensitive to sensory stimulation, and may become very upset when touched, or when encountering bright lights or loud sounds.
    3. Repetitive Behavior: Another physical symptom of autism is repetitive behavior such as rocking, hand flapping or twirling. The child may rhythmically bang his head or grind his teeth.
    4. Chronic Gastrointestinal Ailments: According to the Autism Research Institute (ARI), many autistic children have chronic diarrhea, constipation, gastritis or colitis. The organization says evidence indicates many autistic children have lactose or gluten allergies or sensitivities, which may be causing the gastrointestinal problems.
    5. Low Sulfate Levels: GI endoscopy results in autistic children with gastrointestinal problems show that over 90 percent have very low sulfate levels, according to the ARI, which can cause significant problems in natural detoxification processes.
    6. Co-Existing Disorders: The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) finds that autistic children have a higher risk for co-existing disorders such as tuberous sclerosis and Tourette syndrome. Additionally, up to 30 percent of autistic children develop epilepsy.

courtesy of ehow
    i didn't find anything that mentioned the lazy eye, but my findings did answer some other distinguishing mannerisms i've been curious about, most notably the information about different walking manners. i work with an autistic boy and autistic girl that have always walked on their toes.

Years
    ignorant rubbish..

Actually.... it could theoretically be stopped if it were simply a genetic issue, although it would entail using horrible, horrible Eugenics policies.

But we aren't totally sure if It is only based on genes, or if environmental features play a part as well.

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    The only thing that needs to be said is this:

Minecraft.
    Honestly, what will Minecraft do with fixing something like this? It's like you're telling people that if you have something about yourself then you have to play Minecraft for example. It really is generalization and discrimination towards people who have Autism.

My views in Autism Spectrum Disorder is simply that the person is just a little slow when it comes to learning and the social environment.

Coming from someone that actually has this disorder, I can say that I am a bit slow when it comes to being social. I do sometimes say awkward things around people when I don't mean to. I was a little slow when it came to learning at the speed of everyone else, needing a Speech Pathologist when I was young.

But it can also affect your learning and social skills in a positive manner. I was always shooting ahead of everyone in class and was being able to study at a higher level than everyone else.

tl;dr Autism can affect people in many different ways, positive and negative. I personally like to see Autism as somewhat of a blessing in disguise.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Honestly, what will Minecraft do with fixing something like this? It's like you're telling people that if you have something about yourself then you have to play Minecraft for example. It really is generalization and discrimination towards people who have Autism.

It is pretty autism, dude.

Years

My views in Autism Spectrum Disorder is simply that the person is just a little slow when it comes to learning and the social environment.

Coming from someone that actually has this disorder, I can say that I am a bit slow when it comes to being social. I do sometimes say awkward things around people when I don't mean to. I was a little slow when it came to learning at the speed of everyone else, needing a Speech Pathologist when I was young.

But it can also affect your learning and social skills in a positive manner. I was always shooting ahead of everyone in class and was being able to study at a higher level than everyone else.

tl;dr Autism can affect people in many different ways, positive and negative. I personally like to see Autism as somewhat of a blessing in disguise.

I can attest to all of that. My cousin is on the spectrum, so his social skills are a little lacking, but the kid has every scientific name of almost every animal memorized and can rattle them off at will. I talk about a blue whale, and he'll correct me with Balaenoptera musculus. He's a walking Zoologist.

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    i heard before the autism rate was a lot lower, when you think about 1/100 thats like "DAMN" so you have a 1% chance for an autistic child. Autism doesnt mean that the person is 'dumb', it is that they have trouble with social interaction, my highschool has a freshman autistic kid taking Geometry, a class for average juniors

Emonga

Autistic and proud of it
    Years
    i heard before the autism rate was a lot lower, when you think about 1/100 thats like "DAMN" so you have a 1% chance for an autistic child. Autism doesnt mean that the person is 'dumb', it is that they have trouble with social interaction, my highschool has a freshman autistic kid taking Geometry, a class for average juniors

Some of the smartest people in history are thought to of had autism.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years

There is evidence to support that Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, etc, all had some sort of Autism spectrum disorder. Worked out for them.

*COUGH* I've got an IQ of 152, I believe some cases of autism may actually help boost the gain of knowledge. I never focused on social interaction, and more on my studies... when I wasn't exploding from sort of hyperactive burst of energy...

Years
    *COUGH* I've got an IQ of 152, I believe some cases of autism may actually help boost the gain of knowledge. I never focused on social interaction, and more on my studies... when I wasn't exploding from sort of hyperactive burst of energy...

You can get into MENSA. 0___0

I don't doubt it. The brain is a powerful tool, it can compensate for its weaknesses by increasing other functions. It's why deaf people have eagle-eyesight, and blind people can hear a pin drop from another room. It's amazing.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years

There is evidence to support that Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, etc, all had some sort of Autism spectrum disorder. Worked out for them.

And don't forget the creator of Pokemon, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he's Autistic.

But Leonardo Da Vinci? I think it's kind of weird to try and diagnose a long dead person...... :S

Years
    And don't forget the creator of Pokemon, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he's Autistic.

But Leonardo Da Vinci? I think it's kind of weird to try and diagnose a long dead person...... :S

Newton's been dead for around 300 years or so as well. >_< And Da Vinci exhibited the classic social ineptitude while simultaneously being a genius inventor, same as the others.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years

Newton's been dead for around 300 years or so as well. >_< And Da Vinci exhibited the classic social ineptitude while simultaneously being a genius inventor, same as the others.

Oh yeah, that guy too. :P

And maybe people in Da Vinci's time were just not fun to be around? :D

RainbowWing

Returned from the ashes
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2018
    I have Aspergers Syndrome, and I think that anyone who has any autistic spectrum is very creative and feels like they're in another world. I was really inspired by Satoshi Tarji (creator of pokemon :D) that he had aspergers syndrome. I don't know anyone on these forums who have dreams about pokemon, because I do. I even made a pokemon fantasy story that i thought of 5 years ago called Flying Girl Rainbow Wing, that i was thinking of putting on the fanstory forums. Even though i don't mind Criticism and Bad comments, but when if it's about this story, than i make a big deal about it becuase this story was from my heart.

I believe people who aren't seriously diagnosed with one of the autism spectrum will become really intelligent and be awesome. :)

Emonga

Autistic and proud of it
    Years
    I have Aspergers Syndrome, and I think that anyone who has any autistic spectrum is very creative and feels like they're in another world. I was really inspired by Satoshi Tarji (creator of pokemon :D) that he had aspergers syndrome. I don't know anyone on these forums who have dreams about pokemon, because I do. I even made a pokemon fantasy story that i thought of 5 years ago called Flying Girl Rainbow Wing, that i was thinking of putting on the fanstory forums. Even though i don't mind Criticism and Bad comments, but when if it's about this story, than i make a big deal about it becuase this story was from my heart.

I believe people who aren't seriously diagnosed with one of the autism spectrum will become really intelligent and be awesome. :)

That's awesome. I so know what you mean.

Years

I agree. :) Some of humanities' greatest minds may have had Aspergers/Autism. It just proves that our minds are far more amazing and complex than we thought.

Back