• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Auto-HM

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • What would you think if Game Freak implemented a feature where if you have a Pokemon with an HM move in your party and the corresponding badge to use it, you just walk up to a tree, rock, or water and immediately the Pokemon does what the HM does? For example, you walk up to a tree, press A and then it cuts without having to ask you "Would you like to cut it?" and etc etc for other HMs. Okay so that's more like semiautomatic-HM haha. Would you like this feature? Why or why not?

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    What would you think if Game Freak implemented a feature where if you have a Pokemon with an HM move in your party and the corresponding badge to use it, you just walk up to a tree, rock, or water and immediately the Pokemon does what the HM does? For example, you walk up to a tree, press A and then it cuts without having to ask you "Would you like to cut it?" and etc etc for other HMs. Okay so that's more like semiautomatic-HM haha. Would you like this feature? Why or why not?
    I don't see why not. It's not like cutting a tree or whatever by accident has any consequences.

Years
  • Well, it wouldn't work with Fly of course, but this would be nice. Better than having it automatically use the HM whenever possible and having you accidentally start surfing.

I guess though you might accidentally use it to smash rocks that you didn't mean to because of the change for a Pokemon to pop out. That's the only drawback that comes to mind.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I would like it if the HM wasn't added to the Pokémon's main moveset, but rather as some side moveset for HM's, or something like that, or there could be the option to either add the HM to the moveset, or just teach it to the Pokémon for progression, without it being added anywhere. It just wouldn't fit well if you could use HM's without teaching it to a Pokémon, because that kinda ruins the whole idea. Like as Scarf said, that wouldn't work out with Fly, nor would it work out with Surf or Waterfall or most of them really.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I have always kinda wanted this myself. At least for surf, since that is a highly used HM.

Can anyone think of any specific reason why the current method should be kept? Scarf's Rock Smash thing is the only valid idea I can come up with :\

mineox100

Hey.
    Years
  • I like this idea, but someone could accidentally press A and use Waterfall/Dive/Surf at the wrong time, possibly even making them redo the route!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's not hard to go back down the waterfall, resurface from diving, or jump back on land after surfing though, unless you're referring to things like currents in RSE, but even still, you'd already be on the water in most of that route with the currents so...

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Ooooh, yes! That would definitely take a lot of hassle off of using HMs, especially if it also does away with the summoning bit, where you call out the said Pokémon, its sprite comes out dramatically, & boom, the HM is used.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    To be honest I think the effect with the Pokemon's sprite popping up is kind of cool, but I'll admit it gets boring if I have to go through it in an area where I need to use an HM every ten steps or so like any Victory Road. Other than that I think it's a fine idea. I don't think finding Pokemon or accidentally using the move is an issue because you still need to press A to activate the HM. This could speed things up, espIcially with the increase of field events and exploration in recent games. After all, many games are like this already. You'd probably get frustrated if you were playing Zelda and every time Link picked up a jar the game would ask "Would you like to smash this?"

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I wish it was more like Strength. Like once you've activated it once, you can use it again and again (until you leave the "room") just by walking into the boulders. Like with Cut it would do the whole animation thing initially, but then after that you could just walk up to a cut-able tree, press A, and it would just Cut it. Same for Rock Smash. And Surf kind of, like once you've done it, and you hop back onto land, you can just walk to the water's edge and you'd automatically jump back into the water.

It would save a little time for sure.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • It's not hard to go back down the waterfall, resurface from diving, or jump back on land after surfing though, unless you're referring to things like currents in RSE, but even still, you'd already be on the water in most of that route with the currents so...

Mmm true, but what would happen in the case of strength? If someone accidentally clicks A and moves a boulder of a boulder puzzle and blocks the way in the middle of a cave, they'd have to enter the closest room or other section, or exit the route altogether.

But for the mostpart, I'd think it'd be extremely convenient. Plus, none of those tacky battle cries.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • To be honest I think the effect with the Pokemon's sprite popping up is kind of cool, but I'll admit it gets boring if I have to go through it in an area where I need to use an HM every ten steps or so like any Victory Road.
    Yes, yes, yes. The first time I saw it, it was kinda cool. Now it's just another 5 seconds of my life that I'm never going to get back. Yes, me complaining about this is the epitome of a #firstworldproblem but I don't care, dammit! If that gets scrapped from Gen VI (which it obviously won't), I'd be a very happy man.

But, more on topic, I would also be very happy if Syd's proposal were to be integrated for all the non-fly HMs. Like my criticism above, it's just another 5 seconds of text that, for the most part, people are just going to hammer away at the A button until it's completed. Cutting out the middleman that is the text box seems like a step-forward, no matter how small it is. It gets a thumbs up from me.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I wouldn't like it very much. It's a little unnecessary. HMs work fine the way they are now. I like being prompted before I use an HM.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • Its the same like when metroid games ask you if you want to save when you step on the save pad. Instead of just saving... They actually did that for the last one, and it felt like common sense. You told the game you wanna save by stepping on the save pad duh.

But the bigger issue about HMs is that most of them aren't that useful, or are water type.
    Hence they waste moveslots in your party.
    They should be erasable like any move, without having to go to the move deleter. There is no bad consequences. You can reteach them at any time if you deleted them in the middle of some cave.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • This would be a good idea but a bad one also
    Itll be a good idea if you were in unova in route 17 & 18 where you surf on and off
    But itll be a bad idea say you were in the ice cave in johto doing the strength puzzle
    They could apply this idea via turning it off and on via options but thats another 5-10 seconds of my time
    So overall i do not think this is a good idea

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • Heeck yeah its kinda annoying would u like to use cut. yes i would if i did not want to use it i would have not pressed A infront of the tree. lol

Years
  • This could be a good idea, but obviously implementing such a change would have its drawbacks/anger some people. Perhaps there could be an option in which you switch off certain prompts, not just HMs.

Back