• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Auto Shutdown (Virus Version)

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    As soon as my Desktop finishes loading, It shows the Auto-Shutdown screen and restarts...
    From what I can tell you still have time before the computer shuts down. (21 seconds in the screenshot)

What you need to do is press
    +
    to open the run command box, once that opens type "shutdown -a" without the quotes and click OK; That should've closed the countdown window and stopped the shutdown.

This however will only work until you restart your computer, but I do have a temporary fix if you're reluctant to reformat that should work for every time.

Download this file, extract it's contents into it's own folder and run "install.bat".

It will do everything for you so that the next time your computer starts up it won't shutdown.

EDIT:
    Oh, reading your first post again it looks like you don't have 21 seconds. xD
    Sorry I couldn't help you. :/

Last edited:

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    I do have a temporary fix if you're reluctant to reformat that should work for every time.

Download this file, extract it's contents into it's own folder and run "install.bat".

It will do everything for you so that the next time your computer starts up it won't shutdown.

EDIT:
    Oh, reading your first post again it looks like you don't have 21 seconds. xD
    Sorry I couldn't help you. :/

That might still work if you got access to the disk and place it in the autorun folder of the start menu.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Oooh yeah, you could place the files on a memory stick go into repair mode and copy them across.

Thing is though have you already formatted, pokerus?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    If this is the blaster worm, Windows has an automatic tool built in to the command line to remove it. Blastcln.exe is built in to Windows XP, and Vista shouldn't even be affected by the worm at all. Start up safe mode in command line and just type blastcln.exe -v, either you'll find it or you won't.

If you plan to reinstall Windows, get your files off your computer (you can do this in safe mode) and do a quick format of your hard drive when it prompts you to assign partitions (you don't need to do a low level format, it's overkill in this situation).

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    If this is the blaster worm, Windows has an automatic tool built in to the command line to remove it. Blastcln.exe is built in to Windows XP, and Vista shouldn't even be affected by the worm at all. Start up safe mode in command line and just type blastcln.exe -v, either you'll find it or you won't.

If you plan to reinstall Windows, get your files off your computer (you can do this in safe mode) and do a quick format of your hard drive when it prompts you to assign partitions (you don't need to do a low level format, it's overkill in this situation).

He can't do it in safe mode. It shuts down automatically no matter which mode he's in, apparently. Instead, I'd recommend removing the hard drive, hooking it up as a slave drive in another, replaceable, computer, and then cleaning it up from there. Or, even better, have someone make you a boot disk to clean the problem up for you.

Edit: I have a friend who used to fix this kind of thing for a living. Here's what he said: (It's in a chat, so please be patient)

theorified (7:22:45 PM): its not a virus.
    Glitchfinder (7:22:50 PM): what is it?
    theorified (7:22:51 PM): it's a corrupted windows file.
    Glitchfinder (7:22:54 PM): which one?
    theorified (7:22:55 PM): Run sfc.exe
    theorified (7:22:57 PM): from cm
    theorified (7:22:59 PM): *cmd
    Glitchfinder (7:22:59 PM): they can't
    Glitchfinder (7:23:07 PM): it can't get that far.
    theorified (7:23:09 PM): use BartPE.
    Glitchfinder (7:23:18 PM): which is...?
    theorified (7:23:23 PM): A Windows XP boot disk.
    theorified (7:23:36 PM): Boot from that, and run the original install's sfc
    I looked it up, and BartPE is here:

https://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Instructions are on the site.

Last edited:

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    I haven't reformatted yet, and Im not planning to reformat.

Those files meant great for me... Don't want them to be deleted... (Damn virus)

Well, how about I use a LiveCD (Those Cd Programs that you can run when you boot your PC from the Start and it has a scanner, fixer and reg.editor. :) )

Well... Any more suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    I got one, remove your harddrive and put it in anther computer, and from there, scan your harddrive for viruses, then delete them, at put it back in your computer..

twocows

Years

Well, how about I use a LiveCD (Those Cd Programs that you can run when you boot your PC from the Start and it has a scanner, fixer and reg.editor. :) )

Do what the previous poster said and use a boot disk to run System File Checker (sfc.exe). If you don't have a floppy drive to do this with, you can use a flash drive and boot from that if your BIOS supports it.

Zet

Years

you do know there are programs to recover formatted data?

twocows

Years
    Not applicable here. This only applies if you're not going to write over the data, which will happen once he reinstalls his OS.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    Yeah, I haven't tried that yet... Good thing I haven't bought the live cd yet...

Well, I have a USB, so should i equip it with an antivirus? XD

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years

Only data where the harddrive sectors have not been overwritten by something else yet, e.g. Windows, programs, etc.

If your old files were lying in one of those sectors, tough luck.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    Honestly. You'd think info gleaned from a professional would be considered helpful. If you have a boot disc, use it to make a new disc with BartPE and use that to start up and run the system file checker with the command prompt.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    @Thrace - That's like saying to reformat my PC. :)
    You don't need to format your hard drive to install service packs. It seems like the problem is an exploit so it'll just keep coming back even if you remove it with an anti virus.

Back