• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Avatar Game Script (AGS) - kinda like RMXP but diffrent

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
  • Hey everyone

My programing skills mixed with raw graphics power supplyed from DXGAME (www.dxgame.com) has allowed me to create a Game Programing language its fully free there is no documentation yet there is a sample game included for you to test out.

so what is it?
    AGS Uses the ease and flexability of the Basic programing language and implements it in a way which it can access dxgames graphic library this is just like rmxp except using this will get u skills in using a real programing language its not for total n00bies i would recomend having a little computer knolage before using it but then again its not hard

you can make your own games in AGS u can make anything from Arcade to RPG Arcade is the easyest type to make there is a sample :)

So why is AGS special?
    Ags uses Directx 8.1 and utalizes its full power making games reach framerates of 200+ on modern computers

Compileing Features
    Games you make with AGS can be compiled to EXE files =D so you can distribute your games over the internet in the form of an exe
    Currently Compiling is unprotected however i have plans to add some nice encryption to this :)

attached are some photos

Please note the space shooter game took about 10 mins to make :P thats how easy AGS is

I plan on getting up a full set of documentation soon with the upcoming BETA relese
    also this is only in Alpha Stage so yeah but still its quite powerfull

Download it here
    www.wasp.net.au/~raz/Avatar Game Script/Setup.exe

Cheers,
    Ryan - Rm2kdev

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2007
    Looks nice, I will download and try it now:)
    But it is pretty wierd coming from someone who has rm2k3 in his name, huh? :P

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Thank you Extreme Coder :) i hope you are sucessfull in writing you little demo :)

Soon i will have the Mapeditor Finnished and the Particle Editor Fixedup as it isnt very powwerful atm Smile its missing Physics features like Gravity and Friction and Life ect Smile after that i plan on improving the IDE to allow for multiple Soruce File Smile so games arnt restrited to one document

Once the mapeditor is done :) making rpg's will be a simple task ^_^ i personally have used the mapeditor and made a small RPG in this script, so once i relese it i will include the mapeditor and a RPG Sampler :)

DaVince

Game Creator
    Years
  • Okay, one name thing: don't call it AGS, please. Adventure Game Studio is already known too well under that name.

This looks pretty basic (OMG PUN), but very functional. I'll give it a try. :)

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Okay ill concider a name change in the next relese :)
    LOL nice joke XD *nods* XD
    I hope u like it

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    This looks interesting. I'll wait for the completion of the map editor before giving an evaluation.

Good luck.

DaVince

Game Creator
    Years
  • Okay ill concider a name change in the next relese :)
    Or shorten it as avags. :)

Well, this program looks pretty cool. I like the fact how you can "live-script", or, just edit the script and then click run without having to save. It would be useful if you just added some native script saving/loading as a text file for now, though.

Also, the problem isn't too stable yet and it can't handle a lot of new code I tried to enter. For example, I tried displaying the screen width with [DX.text.render 2,60,300,100,"Screen:" & int(DX.screenHeight)] and it just ignored it!

Then, some instabilities. After customizing the script and having pressed 'run' a few times, the run button stops working and you have to restart the program. Also, when clicking 'compile' and then 'cancel', it gives an error saying cancel was pressed and the app closes.

Other than these things, the app looks very promising, but still needs a lot of work (well duh, it's still being made anyway). The particle editor is GREAT. Good effort! :)

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Im glad you like the live script system :)

The script isnt buggy it is just that DX isnot Direct X :) its DXGame so screenheight isnt a member of the DXGame library :P

Yes i am aware of this glitch i have to make it auto reinstance the library
    and as for the Cancel compile :) it has been fixed and will be updated in the next update

im glad u like it ^_^ this will eventually be much better as with anything i guess the more time spent working on it the better the finnished product will be =D

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2007
    Maybe this could be the Pokemon game maker for the PokeCommunity:)
    Good luck, i am awaiting a new release.
    Suggestion though:
    I think it would've been better if you used a language like Lua, or SeaMonkey(a variant of JavaScript) for the code in the game. As I think they would function better than Basic, but whatever suits you:D

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Yes i chose basic beacause it would be easyer for people who havnt programed before to program with however just because its using the Basic Language doenst mean it functions as slow as Basic does :P because for the Compiled Games i have written my own Interpreter so it functions much faster than standard basic however LUA could be a variant language like
    having AGS Lite (basic) and AGS Hardcore (lua) for beginers and intermediate programers

The update shouldnt be to much longer just fixing all the bugs that people have told me about trying to find bugs that i can see and working on the IDE a bit :)

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
    Years
  • Who said Visual Basic is slow.
    Any program language is slow if you dont know how to use it properly
    although i wouldnt say that it provides real programming experience as basic or VS isnt industy stand which is what would be worth learning if your intent is a game developer.
    But never the less a great engine. Documentaion will be nessacary for newer users to make simple WORKING code

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • >.< thanks blacksprite but u make a point No visual basic program is slow.

Also i FULLY DISAGREE :P with your statement that basic is not a real programin language it is! its a step towards c++ once you lern Basic u understand the concepts of For's Loop's Subroutines Pointers which makes programing in c++ sooo mcuh more easyer

i know c++ game developers who suck at it because they started directly with c++

on the other hand
    I know vb programers who have moved to c++ and now understand the concepts about game development and have made way better ones so even tho basic may not be the "industry standard" it is the perfect step before c++

:) im glad u like the engine and yes documentation is currently being written i beleve i will write 5 example games from various topics

Rpg, arcade, Rts, Platform and something else as examples to lern from then i will begin on documentating the system

The Dash

Hurr.
    Years
  • Wow this looks really nice :o Having particle effects is a really nice touch to it, something that I fail to see in any other game editor. I will mirror it on a faster server once it has finished downloading :)
    However, unless there is a help documentation theres really nothing I or really..anyone can do with it.

Edit: https://dasheo.com/downloads/AvatarGameScriptSetup.zip

Last edited:

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • Wow! thank you for the mirror :)
    Im glad that you like it and yes i do understand that no one can really begin to make anything with this until there is some documentation :P lol however this is only the alpha relese it was mainly just to show u guys that there is someone out there working on something good :P and that eventually you will all be able to use it ^_^ to make nice graphically working games without the restrictions game engines like Rm2k through to XP and Game maker impose :)

Years
  • OpenGL lays down the pwnage on DirectX.

I can't disagree with that. :)

Edit: I started directly with c++.
    I think c++ is so easy that there is no use to learn VB first. (I guess it's better to learn c++ without learning VB first)
    Here's my hypothesis: VB programmers tend to mix up languages, and use VB syntax sometimes when programming in c++.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 29, 2007
    Meh it's just the whole thing about OpenGL having all the advatnages over DirectX aswell as cross platform compatibility and people STILL use DirectX. Sometimes it confuses me. But I'm probably missing something as I'm just a python programmer.

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • When i first started programing 6 years ago i started with c++ and got totally confused with all the weird words like
    "array"
    "enume"
    "classes"
    "pointers"
    so i lernt vb and i programed that for 4 years then i moved onto c++ personally if i didnt lern vb6 first i would still be a Beginer c++ programer i found that basic taught me all the technical words in an environment that was simple and easy to use

Also ive allmost fixed all the bugs that have been told to me in the first Alpha :) so the second relese should be out by say Wednesday next week?

Years
  • First of all, it's enumeration, not enume.
    I have no problem understanding all I read.. but that might be because I'm really interested, and I want to make games for a living.

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
    Years
  • fyi grantax but Enume is an abreviation for enumeration -,- that many programers use

secondly im not questioning the fact that u may understand C++ as your first language but many other people dont, as i didnt when i fisrt started programing

and thirdly good luck :) with your game programing career

Back