• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W Graphics

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
Years
  • Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the graphics. the random 3D parts of your journey-- especially the Sky Bridge and the Nimbasa Gym... AMAZING. I had so much fun on the little track ride in Nibmasa's gym. Walking along the Sky Bridge has been the peak of my adventure, so far (as far as the enviornment features go). I love the battle animations, although I HATE, I HATE, I HATE how pixelated and crappy the hind view of your Pokemon looks, when in battle. I also hate that the Pokemon follow and the use of the Pokewalker weren't continued onto B&W. I really loved those features, and I thought they'd be a prolonged piece of Pokemon forever! I'm impressed with about 85% of the new pokes. They're very good. Better than I imagined. I really wanted to be able to use my Pokewalker forever ): Soul Silver is the best Pokemon game in my opinion, but the girl and the boy in Unova are my favorite player designs, so far!

I'm sure some of you "indie," classic gamers love the pixelation of the backsprites, but personally... I hate it more than anything and it actually makes the game a bit less awesome ): Maybe I'm being a whiner, but I miss the old, crisp graphics on the backsprites. Please put them back in, in the next game!

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I'm sure some of you "indie," classic gamers love the pixelation of the backsprites,

Funny you should mention that. I kinda do like the pixelated look on the front sprites, though I will agree the backsprites should've been higher resolution. They are TOO pixelated. Still, the fact that we have full-body back sprites is nice now, I would have liked to have seen that ages ago, and the animations never fail to make the game feel a lot more fun. PS: Pokemon Black and White are the first games to actually have good sprites for Lucario.

Outside the battle, I'm not sure if I like the graphics or not; The sprites look much better than Gen IV's sprites, but I feel like the scenery has sort of lost it's "Pokémon" feel. I guess I can't complain though, it still looks awesome.

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • That's only on the Rom. Try playing it on the DS, and it looks fine.

I love Sky Arrow Bridge. I could run about on it all day :D

When you're viewing a pokemon's backsprite, it's much more pixelated than a front sprite. Just sayin'. It's quit noticeable, but text pretty much covers up your pokemon and it goes off screen whenever you attack so it's no big deal. :]

I think the graphics are pretty astonishing this gen. I love the small details in the floor tiles in certain places (especially in Pinwheel Forest).

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
    Years
  • I bought the game mostly for the beautiful graphics. I love the bridges, buildings, and especially the towers. I could train in Dragonspiral Tower for hours and not be bored. :3

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
    Years
  • Funny you should mention that. I kinda do like the pixelated look on the front sprites, though I will agree the backsprites should've been higher resolution. They are TOO pixelated. Still, the fact that we have full-body back sprites is nice now, I would have liked to have seen that ages ago, and the animations never fail to make the game feel a lot more fun. PS: Pokemon Black and White are the first games to actually have good sprites for Lucario.

Outside the battle, I'm not sure if I like the graphics or not; The sprites look much better than Gen IV's sprites, but I feel like the scenery has sort of lost it's "Pokémon" feel. I guess I can't complain though, it still looks awesome.

I can dig that. I understand where you're coming from! But, Pokemon is evolving and "improving"/updating, just like everything else in the world is.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm quite impressed on how the battle scenario was made in the game. I mean, triple battling? That's something. Also the animated sprites, to be quite honest, are a lot better than the 4th generation games.

Years
  • I think they really pushed the DS graphics, which isn't too much of a surprise. Anytime the next device comes out (the 3DS in this case) the previous generation output is maximized. They've mastered the DS hardware.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The backsprites are scaled up so that they manage they can fill the screen to a reasonable degree in the battle sequences - leaving them at a regular size would make your side of the field seem sparse, while drawing backsprites natively at such a large size would take forever.

(And there's also the matter that Pokémon Musical sequences use the back and front sprites together to improve the impression of movement, and that wouldn't work if the back sprites weren't the same size as the front ones)

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    That's only on the Rom. Try playing it on the DS, and it looks fine.

I love Sky Arrow Bridge. I could run about on it all day :D

It doesn't look fine on my Lite or my DSi. They are way too pixelated and it really bothers me. The NPCs in the Pokecenters look bad, too. I love everything else, though, especially the bridges, but that might be because I'm strangely obsessed with bridges, lol.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
  • Maybe it's because I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but the graphics look like D/P/PT Graphics to me. The graphics in battle have really improved though.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I dunno. Sometimes when I move, I get some strange graphic issues like NPCs with holed eyes so they look like zombies. It's kinda bothersome.

Also seems pixellish sometimes, and blurry. I love the battles, though.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The graphics in the fifth generation improve upon the later fourth generation games. I especially like the battle graphics, aside from the backsprite resolution - I do understand that VRAM can run out, though. As for the overworld - much nicer than HGSS, and definitely better than Platinum. (Castelia City... I will never forget. Or all the bridges.)

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • I don't like the way they did White Forest and Black City, or how pixilated your Pokemon are in battle but other than that, amazing!

Asphyxia

carpe noctem. ▲
    Years
    • IL
    • Seen Dec 2, 2014
    Graphics are really nice, they are vibrant and detailed.
    Love the animations to each pokemon. :D

Kendosis

Gym Leader
    Years
  • I only like the battle graphics but hate everything else, the taller characters look awkward too.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • The environment like the Routes, etc. looks impressive but actually not much of an advance compared to 4th Gen. The 3D still looks a bit 'emulated' and the taller characters look very skinny... (Big head, too slim body).

The battles are great with the animations of the Pokémon, they let them be alive somehow. I think they really overtopped themselves.

The idea with the seasons is great and that the areas change that noticeable is also great but still it's not blowing my mind away :D But I guess that's because they have to keep that cute charm, players are familiar with and only can do bigger changes from game to game. This time it was definately the character design which they want to improve.

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
  • I sometimes think the 2D sprites don't scale very well...

but overall I think the direction of some of the 3D scenes is very good and I love the new battle animations. I like the fact that when pokemon with eyes are sent to sleep their eyes actually close. It's a real improvement and way past due.

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
  • I sometimes think the 2D sprites don't scale very well...

but overall I think the direction of some of the 3D scenes is very good and I love the new battle animations. I like the fact that when pokemon with eyes are sent to sleep their eyes actually close. It's a real improvement and way past due.

I was astounded by this. The ingame graphics shocked me also. Overall, its a great game.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I love Castelia city :D I feel like I'm in a Final Fantasy game there to be honest ^^ And Sky Arrow Bridge blew my mind ^^

Ive noticed the pixelated backsprite too :( Its a small price to pay for the rest of the good graphics though n__n

I love how all the gyms are different on the outside as well as the inside n.n Nimbassa and Driftveil gyms are pretty memorable to me n.n

Back