• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W Graphics

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
  • The graphics are awesome. I mean, it's the DS, man! What do you expect?
    The graphics in B/W already reached its limit. So, they're awesome on a DS console.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    They could definitely be better but I'm happy with them.

Just wondering, how could they get better? I mean, these graphics are probably some of the best yet for the DS. You can't really compare console games and stuff to a DS game because they're entirely different.

Myself, I'm totally in love with how they got everything to turn out. While everyone usually fawns over the stuff like the huge buildings in Castelia or pretty cities/landscapes or whatever, my favorite part is honestly the changes made to the battle system & sprites. Breathing, moving Pokemon are one step closer to what I would imagine them as if they were real. Plus, the background zooming around with moves and stuff is really cool imo. I love everything they did with the battle stuff. :DD

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Just wondering, how could they get better? I mean, these graphics are probably some of the best yet for the DS. You can't really compare console games and stuff to a DS game because they're entirely different.

Myself, I'm totally in love with how they got everything to turn out. While everyone usually fawns over the stuff like the huge buildings in Castelia or pretty cities/landscapes or whatever, my favorite part is honestly the changes made to the battle system & sprites. Breathing, moving Pokemon are one step closer to what I would imagine them as if they were real. Plus, the background zooming around with moves and stuff is really cool imo. I love everything they did with the battle stuff. :DD

Yeah, I agree, it's basically impossible because it reached its limit for the DS.

And yeah, the zoom in camera stuff and the huge skyscrapers are the best, yes, I mean, the best things in the whole game. I pretty impressed that Game Freak actually bothered to make a game good in terms of graphics.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Graphics

Now i was looking at the graphics from pokemon black and white and comparing them to gen 4s. Now i like the new look of pokemon in gen 5 but i kinda miss the older style of the graphics so i was thinking why cant they combined the two. I was looking at some of the dream world art and i was wondering why cant they use that type of art in the game. What are your thoughts?

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    I really like the new change of graphis this generation.
    But the pokemon were much more pixely in battle and the over world trainer sprites look werid from a certain angle.

Years
  • I really like the new change of graphis this generation.
    But the pokemon were much more pixely in battle and the over world trainer sprites look werid from a certain angle.

Yeah I was quite annoyed by the over pixely battle scenes, it'd be nice if they had graphics to match the quality of the game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The graphics of B/W are amazing. Even though I don't have the games yet, I've seen videos about it and they were more breathtaking compared to the Gen IV games.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • This time, GF took the Graphics of Pokemon to a whole new level. I've gotten used to the new graphics now, but I remember, everything was amazing when I started playing White.

Fiendly

Never let go.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    Majority of everything is fine except the battle sequences.
    I hate how they're a tad delayed as well as being too pixelated.. Not liking the depth.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Now i was looking at the graphics from pokemon black and white and comparing them to gen 4s. Now i like the new look of pokemon in gen 5 but i kinda miss the older style of the graphics so i was thinking why cant they combined the two. I was looking at some of the dream world art and i was wondering why cant they use that type of art in the game. What are your thoughts?

Already got an active thread for the graphics, so merged!

Also, amazing graphics. I love it all. Now if they could be less pixelated on Skyarrow Bridge somewhow when zooming out... (I know, very unlikely D;)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I don't really see much difference with the the actual quality of the graphics in BW, but I do love all the new camera angles they are using in this game. I love that they are do dynamic rather than that static camera we had in DPP

Years
  • I love the graphics in Black and White. They are just awesome. Every thing looks great from the places to the Pokemon and Trainers. They really did an awesome job with the graphics.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Amazing. I love every pixel. The feel of the overall environmental settings is great. I love all the new camera angles, and uh.. all the move animations and sprite animations. I'm only through like 50% of the game, and I'm hoping for more. But yeah, they've done an amazing job with the graphics in B/W.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • the graphics are absolutely amazing i played on skyarrow bridge and a few other places just because it was so awesome. then the seasons just make the game more real.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

The Dream World art looks amateurish and as if it was drawn in Flash. Besides you can't use large artwork in a DS game without scaling it down to the point where it becomes a featureless mess.

XXIII

isn't really here.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    I don't know if I'd call the graphics amazing (quite basic pixel art), but I can say that the animations are fantastic.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The animations aren't particularly amazing either - they're clearly constrained by both the DS's graphics memory and the amount of time they had to work on each Pokémon.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • the zooming in and out and manipulation of the camera creates depth in a pokemon world for the first time. battle animations are the best i've seen but the back sprites irk me more than usual in B/W

vobgro

Pokabu Pokabu Pokabu Pokabu
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2012
    Animated battle sprites are awesome, especially when pokemon actually closes their eyes when they're asleep.But their animated sprites moves normally when they're paralyze...so that could be improve.

Back