• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W Greatest pokemon game... ever?

KieronGames

May be more active
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    According to many reviews, they have said:
    "Pokemon Black and White, the best Pokemon games ever."
    What's your opinion them?
    And what do you think of them?

Edit:
    I meant to say:
    B/W Greatest Pokemon Game, ever?

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well from what I've experienced from the Japanese version and going on how excited I am for the release tomorrow! :D I'd say yes, they're just completely different to the other games but in a good way, I really love them and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
  • well for now it will be the greatest game until the next game comes out... then that will be the greatest game ever!

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • Well, I recieved my copy of the game today, and although I can't make a complete judgment so far, I'm finding the game highly immersive; there's so much going on at any given time that it doesn't become bland.

Plus, i was suprised that the translated text manages to inform new players about things in the game, and at the same time isn't patronising to old players.

I like that.

GreenLanturn

Interior Crocodile Fraligatr
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    Well i got my game yesterday (BJS is the best) and so far id say its great. Not sure if its the best yet but its cetianly good.

NatureKeeper

Although Black and White introduced many features, the best would have to be ol' HeartGold and SoulSilver versions for multiple reasons. I will not rant about nostalgia, but HGSS does have good memories or easter eggs for those who did not play GSC (me). Hearing a remixed version of Gold, Silver and Crystal music using the GB player was one thing that was amazing about it. And also, the graphics were superior to many other games, remember Ho-Oh and Lugia's breathtaking summons. And if HGSS were to be released using the BW engine, it would own Black and White by levels. So no, not Black and White, never. They are good as, umm, idk Platinum?

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I haven't played them yet. I'm waiting until I get my copy of Black tomorrow. I'm really excited though. I've heard nothing but positive comments. At first, I wasn't too sure about them. The Pokémon designs sure aren't my favourite but they've just made so many improvements and changes without taking the "Pokémon" feel away. I've enjoyed every game so far, including R/S/E which a lot of people weren't too keen on. I definitely have high hopes for them. I'll confirm my answer once I've played them.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald are the best games I have played so far. The Sinnoh games were not bad, but they just can't be compared to Hoenn. However, from what I've seen, I believe Black and White are likely to replace RSE as the tops of my list. The new features are awesome, the characters are likable, including the "evil" team, and, the best part, Dawn is not in the games. Having pre-ordered them, I'll get them tomorrow, and I'll be able to determine if they are actually the best so far.

Years
  • I should be receiving the game in the post tomorrow so I can't make a judgement yet. But from reading what people have said about it and looking at a few things on the Serebii site, I am pretty excited!

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the dream world abilities pokemon can get, I haven't read up on the Dream World at all, I just know that pokemon can get different abilities somehow from it. I've purposefully not read through too much info about the game because I want to experience it myself without any spoilers in advance.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Currently, Pokemon Emerald Version holds the title of "Greatest Pokemon Game ever", due to the enhanced features and near replayability it has provided me. Platinum and HeartGold are set to possibly assume that title. As anticipated as I am for BW and as much as I'd like them to be one of the top-selling videogames of 2011, in no way can they be "Greatest Pokemon Game Ever" yet, not with all the perceived flaws it has.

The exclusion of Apricorn Ball availability and the inclusion of every single other Poke Ball implies favoritism, in a sense... Relegation of the Glass Flutes to "valuable items" is just wrong... The replacement of Super Contests with screensaver-ish Musicals is horrible, not to mention the removal of Contest Conditions, the Pokeathlon, and the abundance of Ribbons... Furthermore, compared to HGSS's innovations of the Running Shoes, overworld sprites, and menu accessibility, BW could be considered a step back in some respects. Also, Trainers shouldn't have to go online just be able to find an adequate supply of some dang-darn Berries. BW just seems like it could have expnaded upon several past-Gen concepts but just lets them to wallow on the wayside, only enhancing a few remnants of the past and breaking pretty much lots of everything else.

I highly expect either the third version to BW or the RS remakes to fix the numerous flaws present in BW. Should that be the case, either of them will, in my eyes, attain the title of "Greatest Pokemon Game Ever" upon release.

Last edited:

Rawrinism

Shandera'd
    Years
  • Well, according to spoilers, It seems great. Although I have no idea what you can do left after you beat the storyline. :(
    I'll be getting it on Sunday and I can't wait. Although it possibly can be great.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Platinum holds the title of the greatest Pokemon game in my eyes. It offers an engaging plot, an expansive region, the greatest regional PokeDex yet with an incredible amount of variety, memorable characters, unlimited replay value, and just so much more. It's the absolute pinnacle of the Pokemon series. Emerald isn't too far behind from Platinum--and it's mainly the lack of the additions the 4th Generation introduced that hold it back, so it's not exactly too fair a comparison.

HGSS, on the other hand, featured a few cool features like the Pokeathelon and the ability for Pokemon to follow you everywhere, but there were far too many flaws with the game--such as its level curve, lack of plot, uninteresting and boring locales, and monotonous characters--that it couldn't possibly be considered the best Pokemon game, at least in my opinion.

Black and White, for what it brings to the table, it takes significantly more away. A new region, 156 Pokemon, and much-improved graphics were given at the expense of re-playability and features: Black and White don't feature a Battle Frontier, an Underground, a PokeRadar, the ability to grow berries, following Pokemon, Pokeathelon/Contests, or rematches.

It's hard to regard Black and White as the best Pokemon games ever considering this--it all depends on whether you think what was lost, was worth for what we got. I personally don't, and I'm waiting for the third version to really do the fifth generation and Unova proud.

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • eh id say from my playthroughs that they are very respectable and innovative in the new gameplay elements and everything, but greatest, no, that title goes to RGB

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I hope it's good, but I won't be able to get it soon... Amazon's shipping sucks and I'm not getting it until like, Monday and I can't get to GameStop by myself...

From what it looks and sounds like, it seems pretty good.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I won't be getting it for a while but all of the reviews have been saying that is amazing so I am even more psyched for its release! When I finally do get it I am going to come back to this thread and let you know :]

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Pokemon Black and White is the best Pokemon game I've ever played~ But unfortunately I lost my DS so I won't be able to play it for a while~ :<

Years
  • Well, I think this is worthy of my opinion.

I've played Pokemon ever since the days of Red, Blue and Yellow. I was a 5 year old, and I still love those games to bits.

However, I think the title for best Pokemon game would have to go to either Emerald, or Platinum. Black and White falls close, but those two games had me reeling in for the plot, and the Pokemon. I still consider Black and White to great, but Platinum was very enjoyable for me, as well as Emerald and HG/SS.

I'd say Black and White would have to be 7/10 for me, I was disappointed with most of the new Pokemon to be honest. Most of them remind me of Gen 1...and that isn't a good thing.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    This is by far the only Pokemon game I have been overly excited for, but it is not 'THE' very best. I feel as if Pokemon Sapphire is the best, Memory and play wise. I mean, I still have to beat Pokemon Sapphire by March 6th, which is only 2 Days away where I live, but I feel confident that I can do it, just because I love Sapphire that much. Anyways, I am excited for Black and White, but they just don't sit as the best for me.

Back