• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Baby Pokemon: wasted space or needed addition?

Ayselipera

I've noticed that a lot of Pokemon fans have different opinions on baby Pokemon. Most don't see the point while others embrace them due to either the want for another evolutionary stage or just because they're cute. So it got me wondering, what are the members here stance on baby Pokemon? Here is a list of baby Pokemon as a reminder.

• What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not?

• Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokemon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition?

• Are there any particular baby Pokemon you especially like or dislike?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    > What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not?
    > I don't particularly like them. They're a generally pain to get, only useful for Pokedex completion, and not at all something I would ever use in battle. :/
    They're usually pretty ugly, too.

> Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokemon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition?
    > I think they are unnecessary.

> Are there any particular baby Pokemon you especially like or dislike?
    > I hate Happiny, Bonsly, Mime Jr, and Mantyke the most.

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I don't have a problem with them, and it's fun to hatch for them, but I do think they should have been used more efficiently.

They could have dual-evolution paths, for example a Tauros|Miltank baby that can evolve into either, or Scyther|Pinsir, or even Solrock|Lunatone.

Years
    They could have dual-evolution paths, for example a Tauros|Miltank baby that can evolve into either.

I like this alot. ^

As for my own opinion. Im not particularly fond of baby pokemon in general. I dont see alot of them as overly necessary. Especially when they get added in as another evolutionary stage for pokemon that dont really need them when like the above said there could be one for a dual-evo path for Miltank/Tauros (it would be the same concept as Tyrogue -> Hitmonlee/Chan/Top)

On the other hand, I quite like Magby and Elekid though.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    They could have dual-evolution paths, for example a Tauros|Miltank baby that can evolve into either, or Scyther|Pinsir, or even Solrock|Lunatone.
    I like that idea as well. I also think that they should be more easily obtainable in the wild. I mean, what the heck are the Daycare people doing to magically make eggs of the hatch into a subspecies you can't catch? What do they actually do with that Sea Incense to create Azurill? Are they geneticists or something?

Logic, that's key.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What I think of baby Pokemon: They're cute, they're cuddly, but tough to train.

Do you think they're a good addition to Pokemon?: Most of the time, yes because some baby Pokemon can learn moves that their evolved forms can't (like Tyrogue with Fake Out and Pichu and Riolu with Nasty Plot).

Favorite baby Pokemon: Riolu, Tyrogue and Elekid.

Chrono

\:D/
    Years
    I love baby pokemon! :D I honestly don't think they're a waste of space, it's really fun to train them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    They're only useful to get moves that their parent forms can't. Otherwise, they're pretty near useless in battle because of their lower stats.

And Igglybuff and Cleffa are not as cute as their next stage form, at least IMO.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
    I think baby Pokemon are essentially wasted space. However, they can be useful to get some moves that their evolutions would otherwise be unable to get. This has sometimes made the evolution in question "better," (I'm looking at you, Wynaut).

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    What do you think about baby Pokémon? Do you like them? Why or why not?

I personally love them.....they add some variety to the game, further showing how evolution is basically pokémon maturing (like how Munchlax can't breed, but Snorlax can, etc.), and they're cute. They're also
    often either really weak, which adds to the challenge of using them, or remarkably strong, like Munchlax, Happiny or Mantyke, who have awesome stats, and some even have good movepools, like Mime Jr. (admittedly, all these are Gen IV babies, but so what?).

Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokémon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition?

I do think they're a wonderful addition, and I like most of them. Particularly unique ones like Tyrogue, which linked two separate species by being able to evolve into both, Happiny, which needs to evolve holding an item and being happy, or Magby/Elekid, which have to hit lv.30, higher than most normal pokémon evolve (at least before Gen V).

Are there any particular baby Pokémon you especially like or dislike?

Well, I like most of them. Particularly Pichu, Mantyke and Munchlax (fell in love with the latter after the movie "Destiny Deoxys"). Smoochum is also worth a mention as I hate it's evo, but like the aforementioned baby.

However, I dislike Igglybuff and Cleffa's designs....they're trying too hard to be cute....and I deem Chingling to be pointless...then again, I don't actually like Igglybuff's family, and whilst liking psychic-types, I hardly use them, hence the Chingling dislike....

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years

Like. That's the point Pokefans around the world have been trying to speculate, but GF is none the worse for hearing us. The Tauros/Miltank would be the most epic of all.

What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not? No. It's hard to obtain them, only through breeding or, if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Backlot.

Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokemon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition? Unnecessary, except maybe for Togepi, Riolu, and Elekid?Magby Tandem. They all play a vital role to their evolutionary line.

Are there any particular baby Pokemon you especially like or dislike? Those mentioned above, I half-heartedly like. Others not listed, I hate.

Ayselipera

I agree, another baby Pokemon like Tyrogue would be a lot more fun an useful. Not to mention it would further the link between already compared Pokemon like Tauros and Miltank. I just don't agree with your Scyther/Pinsir example. I'd rather see a baby evolution between Pinsir/Heracross.

I also think that they should be more easily obtainable in the wild. I mean, what the heck are the Daycare people doing to magically make eggs of the hatch into a subspecies you can't catch? What do they actually do with that Sea Incense to create Azurill? Are they geneticists or something?

Speaking strictly for the game I saw the items needed to breed baby Pokemon as just another annoyance. It could have been to make breeding them a bit harder so egg moves wouldn't be so abundant. Although it's not hard to figure out which Pokemon needs which item after a quick Google search so I'm a little lost on that one.

However, I dislike Igglybuff and Cleffa's designs....they're trying too hard to be cute....and I deem Chingling to be pointless...then again, I don't actually like Igglybuff's family, and whilst liking psychic-types, I hardly use them, hence the Chingling dislike....

I do tend to use psychic types more regularly then others and yet I find Chingling pointless too. Chimecho was an already forgettable Pokemon in my opinion, but maybe that's why Chingling was thrown in. A way to revive it possibly?

What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not? No. It's hard to obtain them, only through breeding or, if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Backlot.

In generation IV baby Pokemon were made a bit more accessible. For example Chingling and Cleffa can be found in Mt. Coronet while Budew can be found very early on in the game, a little ways past Jubilife City if I'm not mistaken.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Speaking strictly for the game I saw the items needed to breed baby Pokemon as just another annoyance. It could have been to make breeding them a bit harder so egg moves wouldn't be so abundant. Although it's not hard to figure out which Pokemon needs which item after a quick Google search so I'm a little lost on that one.
    What I was saying is, logically, what would be the point of having to have a Sea Incense to create an Azurill, or suchlike. I think that babies should be more readily obtainable in the wild like Budew is, if they have to be a part of Pokemon at all. It would make more sense.

Ayselipera

What I was saying is, logically, what would be the point of having to have a Sea Incense to create an Azurill, or suchlike. I think that babies should be more readily obtainable in the wild like Budew is, if they have to be a part of Pokemon at all. It would make more sense.

That's why I said speaking strictly for the game. Just for the game I think it's another way to make baby Pokemon less accessible. Logically I really don't know. I know in nature different variables can create different outcomes during childbirth. Which could be something that they're getting at, just in a more extreme way. Overall I don't think they were going for a logical stand point as they were a barrier.

Dark: Random Guy

Professional Coin Flipper
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    I do agree that baby pokemon are entirely pointless in-game.

Competitive play? They help alot.

filling the pokedex? that's about all they do in-game.

and yes. that idea established above with the tauros/miltank thing is a really good idea. if only Nintendo had thought of that.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not?
    I like them. the majority are quite cute.

Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokemon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition?
    I wouldn't say they're a wonderful addition, but I would not say their unnecessary either. I'm probably more in the middle with this one.

Are there any particular baby Pokemon you especially like or dislike?
    Mantyke and Azuril are adorable. :P Smoochum is a mini Jynx... nuff' said.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024

I like that idea as well. I also think that they should be more easily obtainable in the wild. I mean, what the heck are the Daycare people doing to magically make eggs of the hatch into a subspecies you can't catch? What do they actually do with that Sea Incense to create Azurill? Are they geneticists or something?

Logic, that's key.
    Incense stunts the baby Pokémon's growth. That's why they're not as developed as they would be without the incense.

I don't mind baby Pokémon. I do mind, however, the incense stuff, specifically that you'll get a different baby without incense than with it. It's only done to keep things consistent amongst the games (i.e. you could breed Snorlax in Gen 2, but you didn't get a Munchlax out of it, and that's still true now), and that's just stupid.

The earlier babies are fine, but I don't like the Gen 4 ones (except Budew and Mantyke, and possibly Munchlax, which I like). Riolu doesn't count as a baby in my mind, because it was introduced at the same time as the rest of its family.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010

Logic, that's key.

The day care doesn't, it's the Chansey Egg Delivery Black Ops that do it.

I don't like babies cause it's odd story wise.

I mean in red you assume that pikachu's made pikachus when they are macking it up then Elm comes along and goes ZOMG PIKACHUS GIVE BIRTH TO PICHUS.

BTW I dun like Pichu, in the land I come from he tends to be kinda mean.

But you know what was a cool baby?

Mantyke..

SOOO CUTE! <3

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Jessie

call me ATJessie
    Years
    1. What do you think about baby Pokemon? Do you like them? Why or why not?
    > I don't really like them I find it a waste.

2. Do you think they're a wonderful addition to Pokemon as a whole or just another unnecessary addition?
    > Unnecessary.

3. Are there any particular baby Pokemon you especially like or dislike?
    > The only one I really like is Elekid. I HATE Igglybuff and Clefa.

Back