• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Baby Pokemon - Yay, or Nay?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • My issue with baby Pokémon is that I really like them because most of them are adorable... but they're so useless. I like to use my faves but if all my faves are baby Pokémon with no moves and terrible stats, I can't exactly use them in-game no matter how much I want. Using them amounts to doing whatever you can to ditch that stage of evolution ASAP and that sucks.

I like the idea of baby Pokémon but I wish they weren't so pointless. :(

Years
  • Maybe it's because they were introduced in the same generations as their evolutions, but I always forget that Togepi and Riolu are classified as baby Pokemon. Either way, I think baby Pokemon are an interesting idea, even though I never personally use them. I'd still like to see a prevolution for Lapras at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath, since I don't think we'll see any more baby Pokemon going forward.

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    I'm not a big of a fan of Baby Pokemon as I thought I would be when they came out...Maybe I'm being lazy? They aren't that great to train, honestly. Though, there is the thrill of raising them from Egg to 100

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • What an adorable thread!
    I was very excited when they introduced baby Pokemon - I absolutely adore them! I love the concept of evolution by happiness as well, it's perfect! I have to say that I don't, unfortunately, love Happiny. If someone wants to convince me that it's adorable then I am open to the idea though hehe.

I think that Pichu, Riolu and Togepi may be my favourite! I don't think that baby Pokemon are necessary overall (and part of me wonders why all Pokemon don't have baby versions????) but I do appreciate them nonetheless! I hope they continue to add them in the future.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • My issue with baby Pokémon is that I really like them because most of them are adorable... but they're so useless. I like to use my faves but if all my faves are baby Pokémon with no moves and terrible stats, I can't exactly use them in-game no matter how much I want. Using them amounts to doing whatever you can to ditch that stage of evolution ASAP and that sucks.

I like the idea of baby Pokémon but I wish they weren't so pointless. :(

I agree with Cherrim. They are kind of useless as babies, but they are awfully adorable. However, I managed pretty well with a baby Pichu in Pokemon X once. So, I guess maybe it depends on the moves and stats? I think that's how it is. I can see how they would be useless though because babies are still learning.

However, Togepi seems to have some pretty nice moves. They may not be the best ones of all, but they are okay. I mean, it's even better in Soul Silver/Heart Gold because it knows the move extrasensory right away too. Other than that, I can see why they'd be rather useless and what not.

However, in appearance, they are absolutely adorable and hard to resist. <3

Years
  • I don't care much for the Pokemon themselves, but I love the idea and the execution of them. In a sort of disjointed way, it kind of pushes a bit more world-building in the series.

Although Pichu is adorable and my favorite "cute" Pokemon.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • I'm not much of a fan of baby Pokemon. They feel like they're only there to be used as filler dex space. They're just weaker versions of better Pokemon. I get it, the first stage will tend to be the weakest, but these things have low stats compared to all other first stage Pokemon. Not to mention how much of a pain they are to get due to the amount of steps it takes to hatch an egg. And they're not really that cute to me. They're average on that.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • A nay.
    Baby Pokemon, while they make sense, just feel like dex fillers and a waste of time imo. I'm not even sold on their cuteness since my tastes are towards cool looking Pokemon. However, this only is how I feel about baby Pokemon introduced after their family, Pokemon like Chimecho and Mantine should have got evolutions instead of making them less viable. I'm cool with first stage Pokemon that are introduced in the same gen as their family.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    there adorable...nothing else
    but i'm still going to say yay because i like the idea that we have baby pokemons in the pokemon world.
    it makes more sense that way you know...

Years
  • I really like baby pokemon, but I start to get those when I'm already far into the game.

But my favorites are Pichu and Azurill. <3

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Cute
    Entirely optional
    Usually can evolve pretty early
    Often able to get moves their evolutions can't

I fail to see the problem, really.

Zenoah

Hop along to the cowboy beat.
    Years
  • I don't mind them. However, I'm very disappointed that we didn't get a baby form of Meowth. I figured if Pikachu had one, why not it's rival? I'm still waiting for the day they bring babies back, and I finally get my baby Meowth.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Honestly I have no problem with baby Pokemon. Yes some of them can be a major hassle to get but for the most part they aren't that difficult to get a hold of.
    My favourite one is Munchlax who, honestly, I've never had in-game because I find the whole 'have Snorlax hold this particular item' or (in the case of gen 4) 'you have [number]% chance of getting it from honey trees' thing to be a bit of a pain. I just think the little guy's a cutie. Additionally I don't really see a problem with building up happiness to evolve them. You have to do that with Eevee in order to get Espon or Umbreon and people seem a lot more forgiving of that than they are of baby Pokemon.
    It can be a little frustrating, and I get why people are turned off by the idea. It'd be nice if they could hold their own in battle a bit better, but in terms of actually getting them... A good number of them (Off the top of my head: Budew, Magby, Elekid, Munchlax if you're willing to put the time in, Mantyke, Chingling, and I think Riolu) can be found in the wild in at least one fairly recent game (say, past 2 or 3 generations) anyways.
    Basically if you like Espeon and Umbreon and are willing to put the time in to get them throughout the main story then I don't see why you'd have an issue with baby Pokemon.

Years
  • I wasn't much of a fan when they started and still not much of one now. I agree with some other previous posters who suggested that there isn't much of a difference between stage 1 non-baby pokes and baby pokes. Why a paras can be born ready to fight and a pichu can't doesn't make too much sense to me.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I really liked the big introduction of them in Gen II when the majority of them came out, but now I'm just a little "eh" on them when they get released. Honestly feels like they just take up a PokéDex slot now, but that's probably because the only new baby Pokémon I like are Riolu and Mime Jr.

But, they're mostly cute if nothing else.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    A nay.
    Baby Pokemon, while they make sense, just feel like dex fillers and a waste of time imo. I'm not even sold on their cuteness since my tastes are towards cool looking Pokemon. However, this only is how I feel about baby Pokemon introduced after their family, Pokemon like Chimecho and Mantine should have got evolutions instead of making them less viable. I'm cool with first stage Pokemon that are introduced in the same gen as their family.
    This pretty much sums up my opinion. Outside of the games and from a lore perspective, fine. Baby Pokemon do make sense. But what doesn't make sense is how you have to have Pokemon holding incenses to get their younger forms beyond Generation II, as if their younger forms are unnatural and they are supposed to be in their older forms. So that breaks the whole immersion and the lore perspective. I understand they want to maintain game mechanic continuity, but I'd rather they just do flatout retcons. They're already doing it in ORAS.

Also, the things I find cute tend to be a bit different than most people. I usually like older, more teenage-looking creatures (like middle stages) rather than first stage. That small stereotypical body with huge eyes and a big head doesn't cut it for me. I usually want to punch most baby Pokemon in the face because their head just looks like a punching bag to me. It isn't cute, it's just unappealing.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I like is Riolu, but that one was introduced in the same generation as its evolution, so it's kind of a necessary thing unlike those that are added later.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
  • I love baby Pokemon. I think they have a right to be there as much as any other Pokemon, and I find them absolutely adorable. Magby, Elekid and Smoochum would have to be my favorites.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i like baby pokemon. they would totally make that one comical squeaky toy sound when you squish 'em, i just know it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    It's just an unnecessary gimmick as well as an annoying obstacle to get to your favorite Pokemon. I just dislike happiness evolutions.

Back