• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Baby Pokemon - Yay, or Nay?

Years
  • I LOVE baby Pokemon! One of my favorite Pokemon is a baby Pokemon (Mime Jr). They're so adorable that all I want to do is collect them all.

Seriously though, I'm glad someone else keeps forgetting Riolu is a baby Pokemon. Not sure what it is about the little kung fu.... dog..... thing but I've just never categorized it as a baby Pokemon.

As for stats, not all of them are useless. Munchlax has base 135 HP, 85 Atk, and 85 Sp. Def. Some baby Pokemon (Riolu, Munchlax, Elekid, Magby, etc.) have pretty good specific stats (for Pokemon that are baby/first stage) but others (Azumarill, Tyrogue, etc.) just have terrible stats.... Just terrible.

Years
  • I mean it adds those few different things to add before you can say you have caught them all, but I think most people are going to evolve them anyways. My honest opinion is that I think they added them as one extra thing to do, but also because they wanted to add another evolution, but decided that instead of making them more powerful, they decided to make a less powerful version and called it baby because it wouldn't make sense if it was the first in the chain all along. They are cute and fun to have around, but unnecessary. Nothing against them, and it doesn't bother me that they are in there, but I don't usually use them unless I am trying to evolve them.

Years
  • I like baby Pokemon when their evolved form is a full adult Pokemon. But having baby Pokemon like Cleffa and Igglybuff is unnecessary

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Their not that bad I guess. I really hate trying to breed them, but overall I'd say their ok. My favorite baby Pokemon are Munchlax, Pichu, Cleffa, and Wynaut. Why? I don't know Wynaut. lol

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • My thoughts on Baby Pokemon is that random babys should not be added.

OK Togepi was a great idea when Gen. II arrived because it started a new line, and Tyrogue was legit since he introduced a new fighting fellow for Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, as well as an unique way to evolve a Pokemon.

But seriously, why the heck give babies to Pokemon that were available very late in RBY games (and mid-game in GSC)? Yes I talk of Smoochum, Elekid and Magby. And make them evolve at lv. 30? What a hassle, who even want to take them as teamates? And who want to breed those poor things when their evolved form is already available?

On the other hand we had some Pichu, Iglypuff, Cleffa, Bonsly, Munchlax, Azurill, and other stuff that was implemented AFTER the original "evolved" form and that, moreover, evolve with happiness. Oh and they have weaker movepool with totally useless status attacks. What is the friggin' point? Do we want to take a weaker form of already weak Pokemon (which certain evolve with a moon stone that is found post-game in GSC) and train them 'til they're happy? GOD NO! It means nothing!

After being angry, I can say to this debate that most baby Pokemon were designed solely in the aim of being "cute" and please to more female newcomers.

Thanks.

Years
  • I don't feel they were especially necessary and make collecting everything for the 'dex a slight bit annoying but some are pretty cute. The Pichu Brothers from the anime specials made me love Pichu and Smoochum is also very cute despite the horrendous beast it evolves into.

Togepi was a good idea on its own, yeah, but I'm still torn on whether or not they were a good addition for reasons other posters have stated. I guess I'm about 50:50 but leaning more towards the unnecessary side given how useless they are, especially those that were introduced in the fourth generation. Just too many by then.

Years
  • How do you feel about the baby pokemon?
    They are cute and think they are a great addition to pokemon.

Do you like them?
    Yes i do.

Were they nessesary, or not?
    They are a little bit harder to catch but not impossible. Makes the "gonna catch them all" a bit more interesting.

Are there any baby pokemon you feel that "aren't" baby pokemon at all?
    I always forget that Munchlax, Budew & Chingling are baby pokemon.

Back