• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Backwards Compatible?

CC

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    I hope that I can transfer! I've been carrying a Blaziken since Ruby and I don't want to lose her! She is amazing~

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Well if it's as simple as creating a application then why haven't they done it yet, considering the release date is not that far away? If something as significant as if the game is going to backwards compatible or not is still be decided this close to release gets me wondering. I'm also concerned as to why there the new region is so huge? If there's a need to split the pokedex into three different sections, then there must be many pokemon from other generations available in this region. I wonder why there's a need for this. Something just dosen't seem right. Also it's on Google. I can't post links yet lol. Just Google Pokemon X and Y backwards compatibility. Apparently it's being "worked on", meaning right now it's not backwards compatible. Well if there working on it then that should be proof enough that at least they want the games to be backwards compatible, does it not? Still it just dosen't seem right, like they are having more difficulties then we could imagine.

Moreover, while I would be happy with a fresh start I would be upset. I'm 20 years old and still find pokemon games great RPG fun. I haven't played them in a while but have many great memories playing them. I lost a lot of time playing them with high school and college. A fresh start would allow me to actually play the game without having to worry about all the time I lost not playing or all the Pokemon games I didn't have because $30 is a lot when you are a little kid lol. If it's a fresh start then I may buy every pokemon game that comes out on this start, and go to every event. When I was a little kid I just didn't have the money to do so and now that wouldn't be a problem.

Lets just face the facts, what little kid has enough money and could really catch them all? Buying all those games and traveling to all those different locations to get event pokemon is just not possible, at least it wasn't for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Well if it's as simple as creating a application then why haven't they done it yet, considering the release date is not that far away? If something as significant as if the game is going to backwards compatible or not is still be decided this close to release gets me wondering. I'm also concerned as to why there the new region is so huge? If there's a need to split the pokedex into three different sections, then there must be many pokemon from other generations available in this region. I wonder why there's a need for this. Something just dosen't seem right. Also it's on Google. I can't post links yet lol. Just Google Pokemon X and Y backwards compatibility. Apparently it's being "worked on", meaning right now it's not backwards compatible. Well if there working on it then that should be proof enough that at least they want the games to be backwards compatible, does it not? Still it just dosen't seem right, like they are having more difficulties then we could imagine.

Moreover, while I would be happy with a fresh start I would be upset. I'm 20 years old and still find pokemon games great RPG fun. I haven't played them in a while but have many great memories playing them. I lost a lot of time playing them with high school and college. A fresh start would allow me to actually play the game without having to worry about all the time I lost not playing or all the Pokemon games I didn't have because $30 is a lot when you are a little kid lol. If it's a fresh start then I may buy every pokemon game that comes out on this start, and go to every event. When I was a little kid I just didn't have the money to do so and now that wouldn't be a problem.

Lets just face the facts, what little kid has enough money and could really catch them all? Buying all those games and traveling to all those different locations to get event pokemon is just not possible, at least it wasn't for me.

Even though the Pokedex is split into 3 regions doesn't mean there will be a lot of Pokemon in the game. We could see the same 150-200 Pokemon in the Pre-E4 gameplay like we usually do. The three section can be like 50 Pokemon each. Gen 3 separated their Pokedex as a quick search option by terrain before so this really isn't that new. I don't think this will have any effect on whether or not things will be transferable either.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    For those going "Why wouldn't our theoretical app work for the Gen 4 games too?" We're not sure if the 3DS can even interact with those game cards the same way it can interact with Black2 and White2. I mean, B2/W2 can receive data from the Pokemon Dream Radar, and the Dream Radar can presumably read data from B2/W2 (it does this to check if there's room to send more Pokemon/items or if a set of Pokemon/items hasn't been claimed yet). In fact, we're not even sure if the 3DS apps can interact with Black/White, as we don't have apps that do anything with those two.

Even then, B2/W2 could be set up in such a way that ONLY data in the area where Dream Radar data is stored can be accessed by a 3DS app, which would be why they're having difficulty with backwards compatibility (which I haven't heard ANYTHING mentioned at all about before the OP's post, btw. A source would be nice.)

Rest assured, because 3DS games can be updated, if X and Y don't launch with backwards compatibility, it can be added on in the future.

Actually the dream Radar can read the Gen 4 games too, you get a special stage in which you capture the mascot of the game you put in.

Also this was meantioned at E3 when someone asked the question if we'll be able to transfer them.
    Here's what Pokebeach has on it "Q - Can you import Pokemon from previous games?
    A - We are thinking of something. The DS and 3DS can't communicate, but we are working on it."

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It would be great to have a feature with the Wii U, maybe have some kind of Park to put your pokemons in and see them interact in different environment.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It would be great to have a feature with the Wii U, maybe have some kind of Park to put your pokemons in and see them interact in different environment.

Only problem would be they'd lock that to Gen 6 only and only allow the game that deposited the Pokemon to withdraw it as well. If it were meant just for fun, that would be one thing. If meant to possibly fix the transfer problem and backwards compatibility I don't see anything happening.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Hmm.....this issue regarding backwards compatibility of Pokemon X and Y worries me as well - mainly because I plan to train a fully-evolved Pokemon of each species (and certain ones with different forms like Rotom, Unown, Wormadam, and Gastrodon) to Level 100 (beginning with Emerald and FireRed, eventually working to at least Black/Black 2, and having Black 2 as their migration limit would be quite the downer...

I'm game to potentially train more Pokemon anew in XY, but it would be nice if Pokemon requiring all of that effort to train to Level 100 (not even speaking of stuff like Contest preparations and RNG abuse) are transferable.. I've been anticipating that another "Gen 2 to Gen 3 incompatibility issue" could occur again in the future with the introduction of a new generation of games/new Nintendo system, but I'm hoping that XY's backwards compatibility issue can be rectified with an application or something.. I'm glad that the developers are striving to attend to the issue, though.

As for a potential transfer method, I would think that something like Poke Transfer of BW/B2W2 would be used (sans any time restrictions, like DPPt had *shudders*)...I would prefer it if we could just pick up our Pokemon at a designated spot or something without having to toil through searching/a minigame each time we transfer. If any game should have had Pal Park (the HGSS Pal Park variant without time restrictions), it should've been Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, since those were still playable on the Nintendo DS "Phat" and DS Lite, system models that are both compatible with Game Boy Advance (Generation III) handheld main series Pokemon games.

In any case, I'm glad that some sort of backwards compatibility has been maintained for 2 straight Pokemon generations, that's an impressive feat, in my opinion.

OMG; first post in the XY subforum! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Only problem would be they'd lock that to Gen 6 only and only allow the game that deposited the Pokemon to withdraw it as well. If it were meant just for fun, that would be one thing. If meant to possibly fix the transfer problem and backwards compatibility I don't see anything happening.

Well it would be for fun or maybe they could add something you could get from it, a reward or maybe somekind of new training method or breeding.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2013
    It'll suck if we can't transfer Pokemon, but oh well. I'm sure that GameFreak will ind a way through the Pal Park system or some kind of eshop app.

Years
    Hmm.....this issue regarding backwards compatibility of Pokemon X and Y worries me as well - mainly because I plan to train a fully-evolved Pokemon of each species (and certain ones with different forms like Rotom, Unown, Wormadam, and Gastrodon) to Level 100 (beginning with Emerald and FireRed, eventually working to at least Black/Black 2, and having Black 2 as their migration limit would be quite the downer...

I'm game to potentially train more Pokemon anew in XY, but it would be nice if Pokemon requiring all of that effort to train to Level 100 (not even speaking of stuff like Contest preparations and RNG abuse) are transferable.. I've been anticipating that another "Gen 2 to Gen 3 incompatibility issue" could occur again in the future with the introduction of a new generation of games/new Nintendo system, but I'm hoping that XY's backwards compatibility issue can be rectified with an application or something.. I'm glad that the developers are striving to attend to the issue, though.

As for a potential transfer method, I would think that something like Poke Transfer of BW/B2W2 would be used (sans any time restrictions, like DPPt had *shudders*)...I would prefer it if we could just pick up our Pokemon at a designated spot or something without having to toil through searching/a minigame each time we transfer. If any game should have had Pal Park (the HGSS Pal Park variant without time restrictions), it should've been Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, since those were still playable on the Nintendo DS "Phat" and DS Lite, system models that are both compatible with Game Boy Advance (Generation III) handheld main series Pokemon games.

In any case, I'm glad that some sort of backwards compatibility has been maintained for 2 straight Pokemon generations, that's an impressive feat, in my opinion.

OMG; first post in the XY subforum! ^_^
    Yes this is indeed worrying. Irc the reason Gen II couldn't be sent to Gen III was due to similiar backwards compability issues (that and all the new feature's Gen III had).

Same here, it's nice to see that we could've at least have had our Gen III pokemon for three generation (III, IV, V). Hopefully we can use them for a VI. Thankfully 3DS software can be updated.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I remember treading some where that the new region was very huge, large than any other region and that this was the reason the pokedex was split into three sections. If this is the case and this region is large than any previous region than there must be many pokemon from previous generations. It just concerns me that there may be many pokemon from previous regions and if the reason for this is because it's not going to be backwards compatible. It worries me that there's a new form of Mewtwo. At least I'm lead to believe that you need to capture Mewtwo and then evolve him some how. At least the trailer had Mewtwo evolving into this new form. This leads me to believe that you will be able to capture Mewtwo in this game. Now that I think about this. This greatly worries me. Mewtwo was obtainable in Heart Gold and Soul Silver yes? So why is Game Freak making the same legendary Pokemon obtainable in a game 3 years later? This worries me.

I really don't know if something as significant as backwards compatibility will be determined after they release the game. It would make how I play the game completely different as I may have to catch Pokemon that I had in previous generations or not. I think it will either be released backwards compatible or not and this aspect of the game will not get changed once released. It just dosen't like a good idea to change something so significant after release. Like I mentioned something this significant such as backwards compatibility hasn't been decided upon yet not to far away from release worries me. Moreover, I think the only solution is some sort of stand alone application, updating X or Y I don't think will help anyways.

I don't think palpark would work and it would be some stand alone 3ds application. I see this as being the only way you could transfer. I thought in generation III the programming was completely different as far as IV values among other things and didn't allow for transfer from II to III. This time (as far as we know) there's no change in programming like this. I believe it's more of a hardware limitation of the 3DS and the only way they can get around it is a application.

I believe they may be having some issues as far as inserting a NDS cart while the 3DS is on taking it out and inserting X or Y. I think this is a issue because normally game cartridges don't respond well to this. If it was a CD then this may be possible though, which they are not. Perhaps this is the issue they are running into. There is no way to get around this issue at all as far as I know.

This is interesting. I can't think of any solution on how to make it backwards compatible since a 3DS application wouldn't work because it would require taking out a DS cartridge while it's on and inserting pokemon x or y. Can you think of any other solution???

Last edited:

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
    • Age 26
    • she/her
    • Sinnoh
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I hope there's a way to get previous gen Pokémon over to Gen VI. It's kind of hard to "Catch 'em all!" when you have to keep restarting, like when Gen III came out and you couldn't transfer your Gen I/II Pokémon over. :|

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Well I have thought of a few more points to discuss.

Financially it just dosen't make much since for Game Freak to not make the games backwards compatible. However there may not be a need to if the new games are going to have huge regions and have many games from older generations.

These games are targeted towards young kids who are mostly new players. Now how is a 8 year old kids supposed to collect them all? Let's call this kid Billy. Billy begs his parents for Pokemon X or Pokemon Y as $40 is a lot of money for a 8 year old kid. His parents by one of the games for him. Because the games are backwards compatible (which I'm starting to think is impossible) Billy will have to go through a ton of work to "catch them all". If the games are backwards compatible then there will most likely be a point into having them be so and you like catching them all. Why invest time and energy in something otherwise? Billy goes online to see how much a Pokemon Sapphire cartridge would cost him. Only to find that a brand new version of this game, which is older than him , would cost him over $300.00, not to mention all the other games he would need to buy as well. Eventually it just dosen't make sense any more to buy antique games to fully enjoy new games. If our 8 year old Billy ever comes up with $300 dollars to buy this game his mouth would drop and render the game unplayable due to it's low quality graphics etc. compared to today's games and left to question how anybody played them. It's like requiring people to buy old NES games and a old NES to fully enjoy game cube games. It eventually becomes unreasonable and impossible to catch them all without a fresh start.

I would also like to add that your right in the sense that owning all the old GBA games become pointless with the last couple of games. Not only good you not transfer to the new games because the new DSs didn't have a GBA slot and you had to first trade to Diamond/Pearl, there was no reason to own all of them. If I'm not mistaken, if you owned Emerald, a copy of either Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Both Stadium games you were good. However in order to get all the items you had to have all the old GBA cartridges in Diamond and Pearl because they gave you unique items. However now there's really no point in having all the old GBA games.

Pal Park/3DS application will not work

Pal Park -> There's not 2 game slots in the 3DS
    3DS application -> Would require players to insert a DS cartridge into their 3DS, pop it out while the 3DS is still on, and pop in Pokemon X or Pokemon Y

Last edited:
    Years
    Since we will be using Global Link once again, I think in the future, using a gen 5 games, upload your pokemon into the GL server, connect and synchronize your gen 6 games with the GL account and download your uploaded pokemon into the game.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
    you have to be a fool to think they won't let you transfer. it would be impossible to complete the pokedex. stop fretting that your pokemon will be leaving you. WAKE UP.

Rayquaza 97

Draco Meteor.
    Years
    Gamefreak wouldn't not implement backwards compatibility as it would encourage kids who wanted to complete the Pokedex to use things like Action replay, Pokegen etc. However, I don't think that AR works with 3ds, so unless they manage to get AR to work on the 3ds before october, we could stop seeing people with fully IV'd and EV'd shiny legendarys! :) (illegitimate of course!)

Years
    Well I have thought of a few more points to discuss.

Financially it just dosen't make much since for Game Freak to not make the games backwards compatible. However there may not be a need to if the new games are going to have huge regions and have many games from older generations.

These games are targeted towards young kids who are mostly new players. Now how is a 8 year old kids supposed to collect them all? Let's call this kid Billy. Billy begs his parents for Pokemon X or Pokemon Y as $40 is a lot of money for a 8 year old kid. His parents by one of the games for him. Because the games are backwards compatible (which I'm starting to think is impossible) Billy will have to go through a ton of work to "catch them all". If the games are backwards compatible then there will most likely be a point into having them be so and you like catching them all. Why invest time and energy in something otherwise? Billy goes online to see how much a Pokemon Sapphire cartridge would cost him. Only to find that a brand new version of this game, which is older than him , would cost him over $300.00, not to mention all the other games he would need to buy as well. Eventually it just dosen't make sense any more to buy antique games to fully enjoy new games. If our 8 year old Billy ever comes up with $300 dollars to buy this game his mouth would drop and render the game unplayable due to it's low quality graphics etc. compared to today's games and left to question how anybody played them. It's like requiring people to buy old NES games and a old NES to fully enjoy game cube games. It eventually becomes unreasonable and impossible to catch them all without a fresh start.

I would also like to add that your right in the sense that owning all the old GBA games become pointless with the last couple of games. Not only good you not transfer to the new games because the new DSs didn't have a GBA slot and you had to first trade to Diamond/Pearl, there was no reason to own all of them. If I'm not mistaken, if you owned Emerald, a copy of either Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Both Stadium games you were good. However in order to get all the items you had to have all the old GBA cartridges in Diamond and Pearl because they gave you unique items. However now there's really no point in having all the old GBA games.

Pal Park/3DS application will not work

Pal Park -> There's not 2 game slots in the 3DS
    3DS application -> Would require players to insert a DS cartridge into their 3DS, pop it out while the 3DS is still on, and pop in Pokemon X or Pokemon Y

Well the application I'm (and I beleive others are) thinking of is one is which you download your pokemon to the application where it's stored. Once you're done you could exit from the transfer from 5 game to App. Put in Gen 6 game and transfer them out. And so on. Hopefully there won't be a mini game this time as it sounds like enough of a hassle.

Edit: Though if there is no backwards compability then the chances of Gen 3 remakes (of Hoenn and maybe even another set for Kanto, and also Sinnoh for future gen...and so does Johto...) go up. For me that'll be bitter sweet as I wanted to have my old Hoenn Pokemon return to Hoenn in the remakes :(

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Well I hope they find a way where you can transfer all your favourite pokemon to pokemon X and Y otherwise there will be a lot of complaints until they sought this out

Back