• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Bad" Reasoning

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    We've talked about why we do play video games, for the sole entertainment from them and so on, but, what do you think are some "bad" reasons that you've heard why people choose to play, or not play video games?

What would you say to those gamers in attempt to change their attitude?

For example, I myself think that 'graphics' is a pretty lame reason. I mean, personally, I think gamers should not only play video games for the graphics, y'know? I'd prefer the actualy gameplay and the storyline over graphics anyway.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
    In my humble opinions...

Probably my BIGGEST peeve is how great games are misjudged because of a "bad plot". I think story plot can be just as overrated as graphics. I can't think of many games that have an "epic and engaging plot". A good amount of titles from the 90s probably yes, but recently? Not many, and none off the top of my head, except maybe some ATLUS games (although once again that is an opinion). Why? Because nearly everything has been done. Myths have been milked to death. Games have been redone and redone again and again, and again (some of them over ten times O_o). Tropes are prominent and games are forced into quick development because of financial crises.

A lot of stories are average or plain in my opinion, but the game can still be great regardless of the plot. There is plenty of great games that have little to no plot- Sims3 (what plot?), Torchlight 2 (very basic), Harvest Moon (the character interactions make it work). All great games. POKEMON had very little plot in all of their games. A tidbit here and there, but interesting enough to keep you moving. Pokemon is still an amazing game though! Battle and collecting at it's best. :)

I also think a strong character cast (colorful characters) combined with good game play (Fire Emblem is a perfect example here) can also make a game good, regardless of the complexity of a story. Team Fortress 2 is another great example of a GREAT cast of characters and game play, and it needs no story. The men in the game seem like real (al beit crazy) people. The game is a blast (literally).

A game should ALWAYS be a game, not a novel. There is a branch for games like those, they are called Visual Novels. A game SHOULD have some kind of story, especially for RPGs, but it shouldn't be such a strong reason to play a game.

I love a good story as much as the next gamer, but I think some folks worry too much about a "good plot". I personally value good story settings over an "epic and engaging" plot. I think it's nearly impossible to get all perfect scores in every area. Like I once heard from a clever game reviewer, there is no "perfect game", but there is many excellent games which are great in their own way.

Once again
    these are just personal opinions and I'm not trying to state them as facts. I'm merely replying to the thread. ^ ^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Graphics. Yeah. I'd personally rather play a game with a great artstyle but isn't strong in the graphics department over a game that pushes the graphical limits but its artstyle is completely bland. Heck, it's a reason why I prefer 2D games.

I also don't get people who play video games for story line personally, unless it's a point and click adventure or a visual novel. I mean, the reason why Sonic Adventure is even popular regardless of how awful and broken the gameplay and level design are is because of nostalgia of people liking the (rather awful, might I add) story when they were younger. Look at the metacritic for the PC port of these games and see how they hold up. Hell you got people liking Sonic 2006 and it's not just a few for the same reasons. Colors and Generations didn't need any stupid story, in fact it's minimalistic, because the games are actually good.

:)I think a strong character cast (colorful characters( combined with good game play (Fire Emblem is a perfect example here) can also make a game good, regardless of the complexity of a story.
    You're talking about Awakening right? Because in what way does Awakening have a simple story or a strong character cast? It's your typical cliche complicated anime story with your typical anime tropes cast of characters. It fits the bill of your complains nicely.

Awakening is like the opposite of being misjudged for it's bad story. It's being complimented for the fanservice and otaku bait story (and a marriage system done wrong and a stupid Social Link-esque feature) that I feel don't belong to a Fire Emblem game. Actually, that's a nice answer. Otaku fanservice being a reason to play a game.

(I'd also ask how the gameplay is good in Awakening but I feel I already badmouthed the game enough around here lol)

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Graphics and Stroy, sure they could bring a engaging experience to the game itself, but the real star is the gameplay. If you have a game that has superb storytelling but repetitive gameplay (ex: The Forced Unleashed), then you got yourself a sub-par game. If you have a game with a basic storyline written by an elementary student but has an addictive gameplay with lots of replay value, then you got yourself a timeless classic.

Goldenhand

Hatched Egg
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    One of the worst reasons I've heard to not play a game is for it being 'for kids'. This being a Pokemon forum, it should be clear what I'm talking about. A lot of people look at a Pokemon game and go "Only kids play that, it's a joke" and just dismiss it. While the Pokemon games are played by a lot of kids, there is also a large number of people who aren't kids who enjoy the Pokemon games. Just look as this forum. And Pokemon also has one of the most complex competitive metagames out there.

A reason I dislike for playing games is when people buy games just because it has Call of Duty(or any other series) in its name. I've played COD and enjoyed it, but I've been talking to friends who have already decided that they're going to buy the next COD, even when absolutely nothing is known about the game.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I can easily remember the worst reason someone has given me to play a WOW. I had a friend who was absolutely obsessed with WOW, once he told me his eyes started to hurt from playing too much so he took the day off school to play more WOW so he could adjust to it. I don't know if this fits into your bad reasoning thread but I think that's a pretty horrible reason to play a video game.

The other reasons I've heard are the non-realistic complaints from FPS fans. If everything isn't all dull and homogenous for them then they don't want to play it because it doesn't look "real".

In my humble opinions...

Probably my BIGGEST peeve is how great games are misjudged because of a "bad plot". I think story plot can be just as overrated as graphics. I can't think of many games that have an "epic and engaging plot". A good amount of titles from the 90s probably yes, but recently? Not many, and none off the top of my head, except maybe some ATLUS games (although once again that is an opinion).

Nino No Kuni? I mean the plot is as good as it's going to get for a game aiming to replicate the feeling Studio Ghibli films give off. I totally agree with your argument, I know a lot of people who refuse to play FFX-2 because the plot is bad even though that was the first FF to allow you to skip cut scenes.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
    I could come up with a handful of reasons. And they'd all be from me. D:

Granted, most of the terrible reasons to play or not to play are due to burnout in general, I don't think anything would help with that. Of course I'm not gonna say what they are. :x

Back