• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Barry vs. Silver: Who's your preferred rival?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Two people who couldn't be any more different, yet both equally formidable opponents in their respective games. Where Barry is at times childish, impatient, and rash, Silver is equally as serious, uncaring, and sometimes even cruel. No doubt comparing these two is like apples to oranges. However, as different as they may be, they still carry the characteristics of all Pokémon rivals. They are both determined and they each have a desire to be the very best like no one ever was.

Both of them are pretty easy to take care of in the games (at least in my opinion anyway), so it really comes down to their personality, point of view, and training and battling style that makes up their rivalry characteristics and differentiates the two from each other.

In your opinion though, who would you say is your preferred rival? Or rather, the better made up rival of the two? Seeing as how different they both are, I'd say it's up to personal taste in how one likes their rival to be; whether that be someone who is more serious, more focused and darker or someone who is more free spirited, jokes around every now and then, yet still able to hold their own in a fight.
    Barry vs. Silver: Who's your preferred rival?
    Barry vs. Silver: Who's your preferred rival?

Years
    I like Barry better cos he's hilarious, something we don't see with rivals often.

I also love his voice in the anime.

Years
    Silver. Silver is everything the rival should be in my opinion. I like rivals that are tough and not all care-free and goofy like Barry.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I definitely prefer Silver as a rival over Barry. I didn't like Barry's quick-paced and childish attitude. Much like Toshiro, Silver for me was what all rivals should be. His serious, determined mindframe and cool personality make defeating him all the more worthwhile. I can remember when I used to play Pokemon Gold, I thought his name was actually '???', not knowing that you could rename him to whatever you choose. XD;

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like Barry better because of how he's always in a rush. Silver is too much of a jerk (at least pre-post-game)

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I dont like Barry, I found him kind of annoying. Silver, while harsh was more of an actual rival and a better rival than Barry.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Might as well answer my own question.

The way I see it, both Barry and Silver have some good qualities as a rival, some similar and some, well, not so similar. If it came down to it though, then I'd choose to have a rival like Silver. While Barry would be the more fun choice, I don't see him as the type of rival who's going to make me challenge myself to become a better trainer. He's a little too rash in making decisions and his impatience gets the better of him.

With Silver, he's more the type to carefully scope out the situation and come up with a feasible strategy that'll give him the edge in a battle. At the end of the day, that's the kind of rival I want to face. Sure, he comes with a cocky and rude attitude, but I think it's that sort of attitude, that gives me the drive to work harder and come out on top against him.

Nothing better than a sense of great satisfaction. With Barry, I never got that.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
    Years
    Silvers team stunk until the very end. I'll never forget how hard I laughed when he sent out his Meganium to defeat me. Such an unfitting pokemon for him XD. And a single Feraligatr could dominate his entire team given the right moveset. Ice Fang took out half his team, crunch the other half. And Surf cleaned up everything else. I couldn't feel accomplished like Aerilyn said, because it was always easy.
    Barry's team, on the other hand, was always challenging for me. He was a better rival.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Definitely Silver. Silver was a real rival, something we have been lacking since Generation III. First May/Brendan, then Barry, then Cheren/Bianca? Seriously?!? What happened to the d-bag rivals that you had to fight against in Kanto and Johto? Why have rivals been replaced with friends?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Barry. Firstly his team was more of a challenge than Silver. Barry also had a likable personality all the way through the game. He was one of the series kind rivals. Although he had the same goal as other rivals. (Get stronger + beat everyone) he went a different way about it. Silver, who did turn out to be nice in the end (didn't he? or am i confused?) didn't treat his Pokemon well and talked trash to everyone. + HE BLEW YOUR COVER IN THE RADIO TOWER.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Silver, no question. Barry is annoying and needs to take his Ritalin and calm down. And stop running into people. I can't stand people IRL with that sort of hyper, overexcited attitude. And quite frankly, I'm fed up with the whole "rival is your pal" thing in general.

Silver, meanwhile, is the epitome of what a good rival should be. Ruthless, determined, and certainly not your buddy. He might not have the Pokemon, but he certainly has the attitude. And he actually shows some character development as the game goes on.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2012
    I like the friendlier joking attitude from Barry, don't think I could stand having an actual rival ._.

Grew up with Gary Oak in the anime so the whole annoying jerk thing's never worn off for me xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I didn't really like Barry at all. He got on my nerves, I didn't think he was funny, and he's just generally my least favorite rival. Silver has always been my favorite rival, and he's got great character development. Though I don't like his redesign in HGSS. He looks a little too feminine for my tastes, but what can you do, you know? lol

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    While I absolutely adore Barry, I have to say that Silver's relations and interactions with Team Rocket and Giovanni made him a deeper character who was more interesting to follow and keep note of. Barry was funny and amusing, but his actions remained the same for the most part throughout the entirety of the games. Silver, however, grows and develops a different outlook because of the fiasco that befalls Johto, and takes that newfound outlook after the main storyline is completed and applies it to his actions.
    So I have to go with Silver on this one (sorry Barry!).

Years
    I'd have to say Barry, as much as I like Silver. I just feel that Barry was a fresh new take on a rival, while Silver was just a more morose version of Gary (not that that's bad, just not super original)
    I do like that Silver's father was Giovanni, (he is, right?) but I also liked Barry's personality and his interactions with the protagonist more.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    Barry was pretty funny, and I enjoyed his energy through the game, but the fact that he never really changed did hinder him a bit for me. With Silver, one of the part I enjoyed the most was being able to watch him develop through every encounter I had with him.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I didn't mind Barry but I do like Silver better because I saw more of his personality, and like everyone else has said, he developed more and didn't say the same and predictable each time. I don't dislike Barry, but I like Silver better.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    This is a hard one... Both of them were cool rivals. My choice would be Barry. He's carefree and awesome. Barry's like another version of Gary for me. It's hard for me to comprehend what he does sometimes, but he's a funny guy. Silver has a much more serious disposition than all of the other rivals. I guess just feel the need to have a comedic rival rather than one that has a cliché, serious temperament.

Last edited:

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
    As much as I love Silver...Barry, omg. He was absolutely hilarious and he was Captain ADD and god i just loved him okay. It was so weird having a rival that was actually nice to you. well yes brendan/may/wally but I never thought they got the proper amount of backstory. (Plus, in Emerald at least, when you fight Brendan/May for the last time, their starter isn't even fully evolved wtf.)

It's also nice seeing a rival be nice to their pokemon, imo. I do like Silver, I just like Barry more omg sweetheart <3

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Definitely Silver. Silver was a real rival, something we have been lacking since Generation III. First May/Brendan, then Barry, then Cheren/Bianca? Seriously?!? What happened to the d-bag rivals that you had to fight against in Kanto and Johto? Why have rivals been replaced with friends?

Same here. I always felt that Silver felt like a rival, as well as Blue. Past 3rd gen though, and rival seems to be a synonym of a friend.

The only think that I like about Barry more was that he amused me more, but that in the end made him a bigger joke than before.

Back