• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Barry

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Barry, or whatever you chose to name is, as he is a rival you can name, is the Rival in D/P/PT games. He is a hyperactive and impatient young boy, who is Dawn/Lucas's (the Player's) childhood friend. He is somewhere in between a competitive and friendly rival, if you ask me.

What is your opinion on Barry? What did you name him?

Years
  • Barry is my favourite rival in Pokémon (and probably one of my favourite characters in general). He has the perfect balance of being competitive and a friend, which is exactly what the rival needs to be, in my opinion.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I generally name my rivals their default name because I'm boring

But yeah, I actually liked Barry. He's not sexist like Brendan or a douche like Blue (They sure like rivals starting with the letter B), and his in-game team is nice and challenging to battle against sometimes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I named him Jun. Kinda funny how that turned out to be his default Japanese name; I swear I had no idea...

He's not my favorite rival, but he's up there. His personality hits that sweet spot of "serious about winning without being needlessly rude." I remember people used to think he was quite annoying back in the day, so it's nice to see the general opinion seems to have changed. He's a bit goofy, but it doesn't take away from his drive to succeed.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Barry has honestly been one of, if not my favourite rival in all of Pokemon gaming so far.

I've long since accepted that we're not going to get the jerk rival anymore. I mean, ever since Game Freak made the original jerk (Blue/Green) actually really nice in SM/USUM, I knew there was basically zero chance of that kind of rival returning, and the closest person to that was Barry. Even if he's kind of odd with his fining thing, it's actually kinda amusing to me and it's a funny quirk to have.

At least he has a sense of competition with the player, too. So for me, there was drive to be better than him and kick his ass because the feeling was most definitely mutual. That much I appreciated.

Last edited:
    Back