• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Base set theme decks - to open, or not to open

Years
  • Greetings all. I just started collecting cards again after having amassed a decent-ish collection when I was about 12 years and years ago; and to start me off, I just got a few of the original base set theme decks.

My question is, should I open these, and see what's inside, or keep them in new sealed condition? Which would be worth more in the future?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Keep them sealed. You know exactly what's inside them, and individually the cards are barely worth anything, so it's not like you could sell each one off. Sealed products are always worth more.

Years
  • That's actually usually listed on the back of the theme deck box, if I recall, even on the first theme decks. I know there's nothing in there that's worth a whole lot when compared to the price of the actual sealed theme deck.

There's also the page below which contains links to pages about every theme deck ever made for the Pokemon TCG.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Theme_Deck_(TCG)

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • if you dont open in for a couple of years it gets more scarce so it would be worth alot.

Years
  • As was already said, the cards from the decks aren't worth a whole lot. I remember them from when I was a kid, and they were pretty disappointing. Keep them sealed; sealed Base set product gets more scarce as the years go on, increasing it's value.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    I had a box of the base theme decks and I opened one of each and posted them on youtube. They will probably have more value to someone if they are sealed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    If you want to sell them in the future, go ahead and keep them sealed. IMO, it would open them because of how curious I am.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
  • Definitely keep it sealed. They really lose their value after being opened. From what I've read, at least, avid collectors will pay a lot more for unopened. I would continue doing research before opening, if you are considering it still.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2011
    Because the cards are useless at this point and because the product is old, sealed is actually worth a lot, how did you acquire them sealed?

Back