• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basics Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Genesis

The Wanderer
    Years
    Okay Im bored so I made these are tutorials for the events that almost always go into pokemon games, I tried to make it simple so that anyone could use these so dont expect anything that complex. Some of these tutorials might have alreadly been shown im just too lazy to check.Note that I tested these out using RMXP. If you have any questions PM me and Ill be happy to help :D if you find any errors please PM me.

Tutorials Shown

1.Doors
    2.Jumping
    3.Bike
    4.Choose Your PKMN

1. Doors
    ----------
    This is a turtorial on one way to make door work, for this you are gonna need the attachment below.Note
    there is two ways to do this depending on what RPG maker you have im using XP so if your using 2k/2k3
    subsitute the Local Switches with regular switches.

Page One, Trigger:Action Key
    First set the graphic to a closed door
    <>Play SE: (play a door sound effect)
    <>Local Swich A= ON

Page Two, Trigger:Auto Start
    Precondition: Local Switch A=ON
    <>Wait: 4 Frames
    <>Local Switch:B=ON
    <>Local Switch:A=OFF

Page Three, Trigger:Auto Start
    Precondition: Local Switch:B=ON
    <>Wait: 4 Frames
    <>Local Switch B=OFF
    <>Teleport: (Wherever you want)

2. Jumping
    -----------
    This is for juping off ledges, to make this work put an event on each ledge that you want.I believe this only works for XP since 2k/3 dosent have the jump command if im right.

<>Conditional Branch: Player Facing (The side that you want the character to jump off of.)
    <>Move Event: Player
    : : <>Jump: +0,+2(This lets you jump two spaces down to move left/right do +2,+0)
    <>Play SE (whatever you want)
    <>Show Animation (here you could just show a sand animation)
    : Else Handler
    <>
    : End

3. Bike
    --------
    This is for adding a bike system to your game with ease. To make this work properly we need two items and two common events the items should have the same names but for now Ill call them Bike 1 and 2 (dont get confused over which is which) To make it clear what this does is when you use the bike #1 you get on and the common event replaces bike #1 with bike #2 which has the common event that takes you off.I believe this should work with 2k/3.

Common Event #1/Bike 1
    --------------------
    <>Play BGM: (Bycicle music)
    <>Change Hero Graphic: (Hero with a bycicle)
    :Change Speed: 5
    <>Change Items: (bike#1)-1
    <>Change Items: (bike#2)+1
    Now make one of the items contain this common event. This is the bike that lets you get on it. Make sure it can only be used in the field.

Common Event #2/Bike 2
    -------------------
    <>Change Hero Graphic: (Hero without bike)
    :Change Speed: 3
    <>Change Items: (bike#2)-1
    <>Change Items: (bike#1)+1

Now in the other bike put this common event in.And that should be it.The one problem is when you get into houses your still on your bike :\ .So what you should do is make a common event that contains this.
    <>Conditional Branch: (If Bike#2 is posessed)
    <>Change Hero Graphic: (Hero without bike)
    :Change Speed: 3
    <>Change Items: (bike#2)-1
    <>Change Items: (bike#1)+1
    And implenment this into every door and there you have it!

4. Choose Your PKMN
    ----------------------
    This tutorial is for the beggining of pokemon games where you're able to choose your own pokemon. I will be posting the events for only one pokemon but it can easlily be dupicated so that you can have as many as you want.I also added messages that you can freely edit.

PART 1
    -------
    Page One, Trigger:Action Key
    <>Message: (Bascially something like better no touch them.

For the next part you'll need a switch to turn this event on,
    Page Two, Trigger:Action Key
    Precondition: ( Any swithch you want)=ON
    <>Show Picture (You starter pokemon)
    <>Play SE: (starter pokemon SE)
    <>Message: Do you want (starter pokemon) the...
    <>Wait: 2 Frames
    <>Show Choices:Yes,No
    : [Yes] Handler
    <>Erase Picture (the starter pokemon picture)
    <>Change Party Members:Add (Starter pokemon)
    <>Message: (whatever you want)
    This part is when you fight your rival go to PART 2. But first put this in the no handler from the choices.

[No] Handler
    <>Erase Picture (the starter pokemon picture)
    <>Message:You dont want (starter pokemon) well then take you time.

This point you can talk for a while but now ill show you how to set up a rival battle but first let me tell you THIS IS IMPORANT! At the end of the event turn the switch that was required for this event to work OFF this will prevent players to choose more than one pokemon.

PART 2
    -------
    Ill be using Bulbasaur Charmander and Squirtle as examples.This is pretty simple so here it is.

<>Conditional Branch: Bulbasuar in the party
    <>Enemy Encounter: Charmander
    <>
    <>Conditional Branch: Charmander in the party
    <>Enemy Encounter: Squirtle
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>

You can add messages after the enmey encounters if you wish. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    ok... so im definatly a noob here right so don't take my oppinion to heart. im looking at your "Choose your own pokemon" section and all i can think of is "what?!?!" if this tutorial is truely for noobs like myself then u need to define how each thing works and explain and show where to put each line of code. like "Switches" u mention them but don't define how to use or edit them.

im sure this is a fantastic guide once u know all the general knowledge required, i personally don't so im messing around trying to figure it out.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    This thread is nearly 5 years old, and the thread creator hasn't been on in nearly 5 years too.
    You can't revive threads if they are more then a month old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back