• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle facilities in your Pokémon games

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Of course, the battle facilities refer to specific locations in the games that the player can access, usually through an invitation after becoming the Pokémon League Champion, where you can battle other NPC trainers without earning experience points for your Pokemon or prize money. Examples of battle facilities in each game including the feature begin with the O.G. Battle Tower in Pokémon Crystal, Battle Factory in Pokémon Emerald, Battle Tower in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Battle Subway in Pokémon Black and White, Battle Maison in Pokémon X and Y, Battle Tree in Pokémon Sun and Moon and their "ultra" versions, and currently the Battle Tower in Pokémon Sword and Shield. How often do you battle at these facilities? Which battle facility is your favorite? Considering that I play Pokémon competitively, I use the battle facilities quite often to test certain strategies that I think of before facing actual human players and to stack up on Battle Points (BP). My favorite battle facility is the Battle Tower in Galar because it is the first battle facility (that I played at least) without Pokémon restrictions, allowing me use mythical and major legendary Pokémon instead of only minor legendary Pokémon, which I love. I also would love it if the developers expanded upon these battle facilities as well, making them more like the old Pokémon Stadium games on the Nintendo 64 with different challenges, mini-games, and co-op features.

Years
    I use Battle Facilites a lot, mostly for Battle Points but in older generations also for the sense of accomplishment since they were harder to beat in the past imo. My favorite is PWT from B2W2 because it was super cool seeing all the old Gym Leaders and Champions again instead of random NPCs like in most other Battle Facilities and that's why beating this facility feels a lot more special to me compared to all the others. Second favorite is the entire Battle Frontier in Gen 4, especially the Battle Tower, and I'm super proud that I was able to get the Gold Print from every facility there. I also enjoyed the Battle Tree in Alola so it makes my Top 3 I guess.

Beating these facilities for the first time and getting that high win streak also makes you "bond" with the Pokemon you used almost as much as you bond with your actual playthrough teams. So I want to use this opportunity and shoutout my teams that helped me beat these three favorite battle facilities of mine for the first time.

Gen 4 Battle Frontier team from HeartGold: Red Gyarados, Garchomp and Alakazam

Gen 5 PWT team from White 2: Gyarados, Volcarona and Amoonguss

Gen 7 Battle Tree team from Sun: shiny Dragonite, mega Venusaur and shiny Dusclops

Would also like to see what teams others used to beat their favorite facilities and that incudes the OP so please share your teams in your posts as well if you want :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Varies.

Remembers very little about the battle facilities in Crystal, Sapphire, Fire Red, and Diamond. Recalls Fire Red's Trainer Tower the most, mainly for one trainer's shiny Meowth.

- Black Battle Subway: Learned more about breeding for this. Bred a better Chandelure than the original playthrough one. (Other teammates: Seismitoad and Serperior?) Stuck to Singles. Likely beat the normal Subway boss. Doubts much higher than that.

- X/Y Battle Maison: Definitely spent the most time here, among all battle facilities. Recognizes nothing particular stand-out about it. Gained a love for Doubles here. Enjoyed the synergy of abilities like Drought and Chlorophyll. Fiddled around with Megas here too. Created several teams. Will not list all of them.

• Mega Kangaskhan, Starmie, Togekiss, and Garchomp. Reached 50 wins, based on the ribbons. Basically demolished everything with Mega Kangaskhan. Originally used Carracosta instead of Garchomp. (Shell Smash + Sturdy + Weakness Policy?) Preferred the more immediate threat.
    • Aromatisse, Mega Mawile, Machamp, and Sylveon. Revolved around Trick Room. Sees no ribbon on them. Remembers some other team making it far too, though.

- Sun/Moon Battle Tree: Did not like this one. Lagged with weather effects. Farmed Battle Points much faster through Mantine Surfing. Wanted another Trick Room team, but with completely different Pokemon.

• Mimikyu, Drampa, Vikavolt, and Mudsdale. Was not a great team. Hoped for Discharge + Earthquake + Levitate to dominate. Lacked enough power. Hated any Ice-heavy team. Learned about Cloud Nine only suppressing weather, not fully clearing it.

- Sword Battle Tower: Only cared about the Judge feature. Never needed the Battle Points.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't really bother with them as I usually consider them kinda boring and a waste of time.

Used the one in BDSP to grind BP for a couple evo items.
    Used the one in Shield to grind BP for a couple evo items.

I did also do a Ice Types only attempt in the Shield Battle Tower, which went far better than I was expecting, only lost a couple times and racked up over 50 wins.
    This is literally the only time I used a Battle Tower for anything other than BP.

So I guess the Battle Tower is the 'favorite' as I never really used any of the others.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    If memory serves me well, the only battle facilities I have challenged properly are the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and the Battle Maison.

I'm not usually a competitive player, so how I got to face some of the Brains/facility leaders remains a complete mystery to me these days - especially how I won against Argenta at the Battle Hall in Platinum with a Luxray. I do vividly remember getting frustrated trying to get to Palmer and giving up, though.

As for the Battle Maison, it was during the short stint in competitive I did have, and yet still the only Chatelaine I defeated was Nita. God, I lost to Evelyn of all people! I did like the tag battle feature in which you got to team up with characters from your adventure, though. After this, though, I never challenged any other battle facility seriously.

(I also made a pact with myself to never challenge the Battle Subway, lest I have to take up arms against Ingo and Emmet. I want to fight alongside them one of these days, not against them! Sadly, the only game where you can do that is Masters.)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Most of my usage of them has coincided with the days when I was into competitive battling. Never really bothered with them much before Black/White, and the last time I bothered with them much was in SwSh, although my competitive battling days ended in US/UM.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I always really enjoyed Battle Dome when I was really young and Emerald was my only game. In the past few years I've made a couple of aborted attempts to actually get some medals in Hoenn's Battle Frontier...but its really hard.

When I played competitively in Gen IV it was shoddybattle so no real point challenging the in-game facilities. I initially only grinded at Johto's Gen IV Battle Tower to get the Power Items but somehow my Machamp, Gengar (both caught for my play-through, with me from Sprout Tower / Pokéwalker to Mt. Silver) and Metagross (Steven's traded one) got all the way to a Gold Print! After that I made sure every Pokémon I had EV-trained in Gen IV got that to get the ribbons, had a shot at the one where you choose the type but kept falling just short so gave up as I had more games to play. Love that we got Barry's dad, but it makes his childhood slightly disturbing that he knows who his dad is yet his mum "...wonder(s) who he takes after?"

PWT is the first one I truly enjoyed however. My Tepig starter turned out to have great IVs including 0 Speed and a Brave nature, so I built a Trick Room team for Triples! Emboar, Mesprit, Shiny Chandelure, Snorlax, Regirock, and Cresselia defeated all comers! Its also just so much more fun battling old gym leaders and champions than random NPCs who suddenly are stronger than you, the person who just tamed the Poké Gods?!

Galar's Battle Tower has nice quick rounds, and some of my favourite battle music of all time. Given the easy availability of competitive and having a G-Max Meowth meaning I can easily EV-train just off vitamins I've not played it much though. Allowing legendaries in just like the online competitive scene is a bonus, I'm considering bringing forward my Gen IV EV-trained legends so I can get more use out of them than just grinding against Elite Fours and Gym Leaders.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I use Battle Facilites a lot, mostly for Battle Points but in older generations also for the sense of accomplishment since they were harder to beat in the past imo. My favorite is PWT from B2W2 because it was super cool seeing all the old Gym Leaders and Champions again instead of random NPCs like in most other Battle Facilities and that's why beating this facility feels a lot more special to me compared to all the others. Second favorite is the entire Battle Frontier in Gen 4, especially the Battle Tower, and I'm super proud that I was able to get the Gold Print from every facility there. I also enjoyed the Battle Tree in Alola so it makes my Top 3 I guess.

Beating these facilities for the first time and getting that high win streak also makes you "bond" with the Pokemon you used almost as much as you bond with your actual playthrough teams. So I want to use this opportunity and shoutout my teams that helped me beat these three favorite battle facilities of mine for the first time.

Gen 4 Battle Frontier team from HeartGold: Red Gyarados, Garchomp and Alakazam

Gen 5 PWT team from White 2: Gyarados, Volcarona and Amoonguss

Gen 7 Battle Tree team from Sun: shiny Dragonite, mega Venusaur and shiny Dusclops

Would also like to see what teams others used to beat their favorite facilities and that incudes the OP so please share your teams in your posts as well if you want :)

Thank you for your replies. I strongly appreciate it. As for me, whenever I play the game, I do so using the teams that I begin my adventure with, which is typically the same Pokémon that I have bred (and sometimes transferred) for the start of my game. My style of play is to use two sets of teams in the beginning of my play-through, where I start with my primary team and use them until I beat the first gym. Afterwards, I use my secondary team until I beat the second gym and repeat this process by alternating these teams until I beat all the gyms. Afterwards, I try to use the battle facilities with both my primary and secondary teams.

In Pokémon Black and White, my primary team consisted of Serperior (Ophis), Starmie (Lyra), Hitmonchan (Fisticuffz), Electivire (Buzzkill), Crobat (Fangoria) and Mismagius (Lil Missy). My secondary team consisted of Gyarados (Drakaina), Machamp (Shiva), Magnezone (Maggie), Haxorus (Huntress), Weavile (Frostie) and Sigilyph (Symboler). I attempted the Battle Subway with both of these teams and did pretty well, but I didn't play the battle facilities too often in this game. I am thinking about revisiting though, as the Unova games are my all-time favorite Pokémon games.

In Pokémon X and Y, my team consisted of Greninja (Kunoichi), Blaziken (Barbie Q), Electivire (Electra), Haxorus (Hak-n-Slash), Gardevoir (Charisma), and Aerodactyl (Ariel). My secondary team consisted of Feraligatr (Allie), Lucario (Lucy), Magnezone (Maggie), Weavile (Frostie), Nidoqueen (Maternity), and Sigilyph (Symboler). I also did really well with both teams, as I managed to get over 60 wins with both and earned a ton of BP.

In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, my primary team was Blaziken (Barbie Q), Feraligatr (Allie), Electivire (Buzzkill), Haxorus (Huntress), Gardevoir (Charisma), and Nidoking (Machismo). My secondary team was (Starmie) Lyra, Machamp (Kali), Magnezone (Maggie), Drapion (Serket), Weavile (Frostie), and Mismagius (Lil Missy). In this game, I also did well with both teams and garnered over 100 wins.

In Pokémon Ultra Sun, my primary team was Decidueye (Artemisia), Starmie (Lyra), Blaziken (Barbie Q), Electivire (Buzzkill), Garchomp (Megalodonna), and Gardevoir (Charisma). My secondary team was Feraligatr (Allie), Machamp (Shiva), Magnezone (Maggie), Haxorus (Hak-n-Slash), Alakazam (Mystique), and Drapion (Serket). I recalled doing excellent with my first team, as much of my 50+ wins was a result of it, but my second team kind of struggled just a tiny bit because many were lacking in speed. They still did pretty well though, but I didn't use the secondary team as much.

In Pokémon Sword, my primary team was Inteleon (Lizzie), Lucario (Lucy), Electivire (Buzzkill), Haxorus (Huntress), Gengar (Alusi), and Gardevoir (Charisma). My secondary team consists of Starmie, Blaziken (Barbie Q), Magnezone (Maggie), Garchomp (Megalodonna), Weavile (Frostie), and Togekiss (Tinkerbelle). In this game's Battle Tower, things changed completely. While I did use my primary and secondary teams to dominate the Battle Tower as well, I mostly used major legendary Pokémon because I never had the option to do it before, and a ton of other teams I can't recall right now. Much of my Battle Tower experience in this game was mostly dominating with Reshiram (Veritas). I used Butterfree (Freebie) with Compound Eyes and Sleep Powder to put the opposing Pokémon to sleep, spam Quiver Dance for boosts, and pass the stat boosts to Veritas via Baton Pass to sweep everything. Of course, it's not that Reshiram even needs those boosts, but I just enjoyed the overkill.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I never really cared that much about Battle Facilities.

When I was young playing RSE / Pt / HGSS in the dark ages, I actually kinda liked the Battle Frontier but even then, I don't think they'd catch my interest nowadays.

Although I do think a Battle Factory / randbats mode in the Battle Tower could be fun.

Years
    I had such, such a good time using facilities that let you use rentals, like the Battle Factory in Emerald. They don't often have the best movesets but I have such fond memories of cycling through Pokémon I never otherwise used. I fell out of using battle facilities by the time BW2 came out and never dabbled much in the Rental Tournament there, but regardless, this type of facility is far and away my absolute favorite.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Oh, right. Forgot about the other Battle Facility in Ultra Sun/Moon: the Battle Agency. Reached maximum grade for the ridiculous number of Festival Coins. Liked the idea. Hopes to never see that precise implementation again, though. Rarely saw anyone with a level 60+ Pokemon. Hung onto someone's high level Pokemon (level 91?) long enough to finish it.

Years
    emerald battle frontier and b2w2 pokemon world tournament remain unbeaten in my eyes as far as battle facilities go. none of this post-game battle towe clone stuff, those were actual fun. and look, i know people who aren't big fans of battle frontier are going to call each facility basically gimmicks, but that's like... the whole point. they had different gimmicks to make battling more fun and interesting beyond "mash the A button to win" that's prevalent in a vast majority of pokemon battles. at least in frontier i would have to strategise a bit.

Back