• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Battle Frontier!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Let's try this subject again! A post in the things you dislike thread reminded me we could use some discussion on this. Discuss the battle frontier in 4th gen basically!

Have some discussion topics to go on to boot! Like:

• Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why?
    • What are your current records in the BF?
    • Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst?
    • What about the Frontier brains?
    • Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF?
    • Will you give me money?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why?: I like both BFs equally, but I'm leaning towards the Gen IV Frontier because some of the Gen III facilities were too hard, like the Battle Pyramid.
    What are your current records in the BF?: In my old Platinum cart, I had gold prints in the Battle Hall and Battle Factory and silver prints in the other 3 facilities. In my current SS game, I only have the silver print for the Battle Factory.
    Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst?: I like the Battle Factory because of the variety of Pokemon available. My least favorite is the Battle Castle because I can't think of a way to spend my Castle points effectively.
    What about the Frontier brains?: Palmer looks cool, plus he's the son of Barry/Pearl. I'm not very fond of Argenta, though; something about her seems a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF?: The elemental punches were helpful, as were moves like Heat Wave and Superpower.
    Will you give me money?: No, no I wouldn't.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why? No. I liked this frontier better. More gimmicks than the third generation's BF. And Emerald's BF is sometimes hard.

Moar Pokemon Choices for the Factory!

What are your current records in the BF? I have Silver Prints for Factory and Gold Print for tower, until my platinum file got corrupted.

I have the silver emblem (is that what it is called) in the Emerald BF Factory. yeah, I'm not too much of a frontier battler

Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst? I always liked the Factory because I'm not too patient to EV train Pokemon then. I liked the preset Pokemon, and the variety.

What about the Frontier brains? My favorite is Palmer. He's really cool, plus he is Barry's father.

Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF? I have not played HGSS Bf yet. So I don't know.

Will you give me money? If I have more than I need, why not?

Years
    Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why?: I like both BFs equally, but I'm leaning towards the Gen IV Frontier because some of the Gen III facilities were too hard, like the Battle Pyramid.
    What are your current records in the BF?: In my old Platinum cart, I had gold prints in the Battle Hall and Battle Factory and silver prints in the other 3 facilities. In my current SS game, I only have the silver print for the Battle Factory.
    Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst?: I like the Battle Factory because of the variety of Pokemon available. My least favorite is the Battle Castle because I can't think of a way to spend my Castle points effectively.
    What about the Frontier brains?: Palmer looks cool, plus he's the son of Barry/Pearl. I'm not very fond of Argenta, though; something about her seems a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF?: The elemental punches were helpful, as were moves like Heat Wave and Superpower.
    Will you give me money?: No, no I wouldn't.

Correction: Barry is Palmer's son.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why?
    I prefer 4th Gen Battle Frontier, mostly because I know how to RNG in 4th Gen but not in 3rd. Facilities that don't heal me after each round give me a headache too - Pike, Pyramid and Castle are guilty of this.

What are your current records in the BF?
    Gold Prints for Tower, Arcade and Hall, but haven't hit 100 in Tower. Silver for Factory. Haven't played Castle yet.

Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst?
    Tower has the greatest variety for strategy - you can have TrickScarf + 2 attackers, TrickScarf + Support + Attacker, Yawn setup, 1-for-1 (moves like Destiny Bond, Counter and Explosion), straight attack. Unfortunately if you want a high streak TrickScarf is the best strategy.

Factory gives good BP but has too much emphasis on luck. If you get a gold print on this, I admire your patience.

Hall has very little room for team building since you're only allowed 1 Pokemon. Practically everyone uses Sash Salamence or Garchomp, more daring souls like TRE or Jumpman of Smogon have hit 170 with others. You just fight the types that you're weak to at the start, then save those that you can hit for SE later. Quite boring since the outcome of the match is usually decided as soon as you know which mon your opponent has - there is only 1 moveset for enemy Hall Pokemon. Also aggravating when you lose a certain matchup that should have been a win to sleep/freeze/QC/Brightpowder hax. I would know - I had a streak broken to Hypnosis Poliwrath.
    Oh, and one note: Flamethrower is usually better than Fire Fang on Mence/Chomp because of Sash Bullet Punch/Counter Scizor.

I haven't played much of Castle. Seems like for the first few rounds you just keep adding opponent levels and OHKOing the NFEs. I'm only interested in getting the gold print, so I'll skip battles until I reach Darach.

Arcade is probably the most fun, because you don't enter with any items, so you can't use TrickScarf (it's a pretty boring strategy anyway). On the plus side your opponents don't get annoying things like QC/powder/sash. Luck is minimized here; if you lose it's mostly due to misclicking and hitting the wrong panel.
    Pro tip: try to look for 2 adjacent beneficial panels on the roulette, and aim to hit the earlier one. That way, if you hit it too late, you'll end up picking the second beneficial one, which is still good for you. Avoid the random panel at all costs.

What about the Frontier brains?
    They don't have much back story other than Palmer and Caitlin.
    Interesting fact: after battle 1792 (256 rounds of 7), the Tower loops back to Trainers using NFEs. Palmer is faced again at battle 1813.

Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF?
    I don't have HGSS. The only ones I know that are useful, are Bounce Gyarados, Low Kick Weavile, Earth Power Shaymin, Super Fang Walrein, Heat Wave Zapdos, Outrage Nite/Mence/Chomp, Superpower Scizor, Pain Split Rotom-A, Icy Wind Suicune, TRICK anything that learns it, Heal Bell Vaporeon/Uxie.

Trick is probably the best tutor move, for both Frontier and competitve play.

Will you give me money?
    No, lol.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years

• Do you prefer Emerald's BF to this one or not? Why?

I prefer the 4th gen since it's a lot easier to navigate through.

• What are your current records in the BF?

Not very high, I always seem to face the guy with the always hit yourself confuse ray or the guy with the never miss horn drill.

• Which facility do you like the best? Or the worst?

I always like to go to the Battle Factory since it's the easiest one and it basically feeds you BP. The worst in my opinion is the Battle Tower since it's not very exciting, kind of bland.

• What about the Frontier brains?

None of the Frontier Brains really stood out for me but if I had to choose a favorite I'd say Palmer since he's the only one who has a background.

• Do you like the move tutor moves you can make use of in the HGSS BF?

I like the moves they can teach your Pokemon but honestly I'd much rather go digging for shards or finding them with my item finder then collecting BP for the move tutor. I already have to spend BP on TMs.

• Will you give me money?

Sure, why not?

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    No, Emerald's was far too hard. I only got one medal on the whole game....

Dunno, around 70 for the Battle Hall I think.

I hate the battle factory the most. I always get the wrong pokemon...

...move tutors?!?!

Will you give me money?
    Um... no.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I adore Emerald's BF. It was the biggest challenge in the games, as of yet, and I spent a lot of time building teams (EV training, breeding, etc.) just for specific facilities. The Gen IV BF was so easy compared to this one. I migrated most of my team from Emerald, and it was slaughter.

I also liked the facilities better in Emerald. I really wish they kept the Battle Dome specifically.

Gold Prints in all facilities. I don't remember the highest, but I remember after I got all the Gold Prints I began screwing around with legendaries and entered in facilities and went on a rampage, it was all in good sport.

I loved and hated the Battle Arcade. It usually got me something bad, but sometimes it pulled through and crippled my opponent. I like the gambling feel. The most hated for me is probably the Battle Hall. I just didn't like it, no particular reasons.

What about the Frontier brains?
    My favorite is Palmer. He had a nice team to battle, except Regigigas. Slow Start made it so easy.

I love all move tutors...

Will you give me money?
    Yes, just don't use it for drugs or alcohol. Unless you're giving that to me, then that's okay.

Back