• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Mistakes

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    In general it's easy to lose track of a move's PP when grinding...and then suddenly you won't be able to use it in a crucial moment.

Years
    Back in the days of G/S/C, I would only train one Pokémon, and skipped half the trainer. That made the game pretty tough, but also make the game less fun than it could have been. I still loved it though.

Back then, the other mistake I always made was never knowing what the moves did, so I often just tough my team crappy moves.

The 3-4 stab moves to a Pokémon thing was a problem too lol

Kids, remember to always have a full team of 6 Pokemon with balanced types and movesets. That way you won't lose as often.

And as Marriland would say, fight every Trainer you see!

mineox100

Hey.
    Years
    My mistakes:
    Used Masterball on a Snorlax
    Used Hyper Beam on Gastly
    Used Pokeball on a Groudon
    Used Rare Candy on Seedot and left it in the box
    Tried running away from a trainer battle ten times

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
    I made a somewhat huge mistake in Crystal. I primarily used Feraligatr at all battles, due to being my main battling Pokemon. I almost lost to Lance at the very end because he almost ran out of Ice Punches and I had no PP-restoring items.

Years
    I made a somewhat huge mistake in Crystal. I primarily used Feraligatr at all battles, due to being my main battling Pokemon. I almost lost to Lance at the very end because he almost ran out of Ice Punches and I had no PP-restoring items.

Remember kids, always have items on hand during tough battles.

And you need a mix of strong Pokemon, don't make the starter do all the work.

I remember when I first played Ruby, I accidentally had most of my team have STAB moves and on top of that, I had two Grass-types and two Water-types. Yeah, I was a n00b back then and didn't know about type matchups.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    I only used my starter pokemon to kill stuff up until White. I would aways choose the fire type pokemon and murder everything with it. Ruby gave me trouble with Wallace. The only reason I stopped was because the fire starter is weak as piss. My teams were never balanced. Oh and just a quick note. After I beat the elite four with my fire type, I would always go back to having a balanced team.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    EV TRAINING!!!!!! I don't know how many times i've almost been done with a pokemon and get side tracked with something and fight the wrong pokemon! I'm not a perfectionist but I will start over on that pokemon to get his or her ev's right so yeah definitely ev training. Next would be not saving after something critical happens.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    My mistakes:
    Used Masterball on a Snorlax
    Used Hyper Beam on Gastly
    Used Pokeball on a Groudon
    Used Rare Candy on Seedot and left it in the box
    Tried running away from a trainer battle ten times

Facepalm.

Why do I always try to use ground moves on flying types?

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
    I just recently used Psychic on a Scraggy and I went "D'OH" because I accidently hit Psychic instead of Ice Beam for my Jynx during a subway battle today.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    My first run through of emerald SUCKED. I taught my pokemon every Hm move they could learn, used my masterball on a solrock, I sold all my items because I thought they were useless and then turned around and needed them again, I once bought 99 full heals thinking they would fully heal my pokemon (then sold them during the previous item perge) And hyper beam.....oh boy did I have fun with hyper beam. I've hyper beamed my partner in a double battle, killed the weather trio with it, attacked steel/rock types with it.....good times. To top it all off I deleted the save game because of a "cheat" that said if I deleted my game, and beat my rival with each starter and started a new game I would get all three......and did I mention I caught my first shiny not long before that?

....You win. Seriously, ouch!

Worst I have done is mindlessly walking into the Elite Four room with low level Pokemon I hadn't trained yet.

Guest123_x1

When I was new (especially when I first got Yellow, which was my first game), I would ignorantly try to use electric attacks against Ground-types, and try to catch other trainer's Pokémon (especially those that cannot be found in that version, such as Meowth, Weedle, and Ekans). I would also spoil my Pikachu, getting it up to Level 65 by the time I got to the final Gym.
    Other major mistakes I made early on in my experience were: wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd, and running from battles with one-of-a-kind legendary Pokémon (e.g. Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and both Snorlaxes).
    That all ended when my save file got wiped out.

Later, when I got more familiar with the games, I would occasionally have a brain fart and accidentally use a move that wouldn't affect the opponent (e.g. ground-type moves on a flying Pokémon), or accidentally forget I was in a trainer battle and still try to catch the opponent's Pokémon. (More often than not, such incidents were the result of clicking on the wrong item, when I meant to do something else.)

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    Back in Yellow first came out, I only trained my Pikachu. If I hadn't started a new game, it probably would have stayed that way. In Sapphire, my Pokemon only know STAB moves or HM moves. I still have that save because I only have about forty Pokemon to complete the National Dex.

My latest mistake happened on my SoulSilver. I'm doing a Snorlax Solo Run and while I was fighting Bruno, I used Thunderbolt on his Onix. I have no idea why I did that and it almost cost me the battle.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2012
    oh geez. I have hte perfect story for this thread haha. This happened recently. I was in a trainer battle. And about an hour earlier I took some allergy medicine because I caught an allergy attack. So there I was, battling this trainer dude, and I'm kind of dopey from the medicine, so I chuck a couple pokeballs at his pokemon. I completely forgot I was battling a trainer and I was all "uhhh, why can't I catch this thiiiing..." haha

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Misclicking with the Stylus, I hate it! lol
    I hit run, instead of bag with a roaming legendary...

champ4life

currently failing
    Years
    I was a giant n00blet at first, and made some pretty stupid uh ohs on my first playthrough of ruby

Using my sceptile almost soloey through the entire game, only to be continually ripped apart by stevens metagross

Teaching fire blast, ice beam, and hyper beam to an exploud, had no good sp attack so a horrible waste

Thinking plusle was a good lectric type to use

Using a master ball on a golbat because i couldnt run from it and raged

Defeating groundon because i thought the epic music meant you werent allowed to catch it

Thinking that teaching cut to grovyle was a good idea because of his sharp leaves giving it UBEREPICNESS!!!1

Yup i was dense as a kid

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2012
    The biggest mistake I ever made was trying to catch a shuppet with my last poke ball. I forgot my last pokeball was my Master Ball, and it cost me about 2 hours of game play because I forgot to save....

Also, I used to think I HAD to use master balls on Legendary pokemon.
    Now I just buy about 30 Ultra balls & a couple revives, and bring a pokemon that knows sing, as well as some pokemon that know stat-reducing moves (sand-attack, leer, growl, charm). caught Lugia that way on Wednesday with an ultra, and thats how I used to catch Kyogre... good times.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    The biggest mistake I've ever made is not saving all the way from my progress from Fuschia City to Cinnabar. That's when I fought Moltres and accidentally killed it and when I thought of restarting, I remembered that loooooooooooooooooong journey I made, so I decided to forget Moltres and get on with life lol

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I sometimes get really cocky. Like when I get my opponent down to a tiny bit of Hp; like say a Gengar, down to about 6% and I have something like; an Arbok out. I use Sludge Bomb to take it down, but it does like 3% the Gengar counters with Psychic, OHKO, I lose, I die a little inside.

Then there's those really bad times when I forget about weaknesses, resistances and immunity's and I'm using Thunderbolt on a Golem for ages; being none the wiser. And eventually I just get mad because it isn't working and I turn it off. :x I forgot about all the technical stuff like I mentioned. It happens very rarely though...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Ehh quite often I forget type match-ups and have to check them (by quite often I mean literally all the time xD) and I have a habit of selecting the wrong move when I know which one I should be using. Plus sometimes I get bored and start using more interesting moves like Camouflage or Trick Room in situations that really don't call for it; making the battle harder for yourself is kinda fun though so I don't mind. x]

Back