• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Battle Spot frustrations - Rage quitting/forfeiting

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
  • Not sure if this belongs here or in the Battle Center section... (Mods feel free to move this if it's the wrong place!)

Does anyone else find the BattleSpot to be incredibly frustrating sometimes?

Honestly, all I want most of the time is to have a fun, quick battle. I don't mind losing, I actually find it to be a really good way of helping figure out where my team is weak and where I can improve.

That said, I'm sick and tired of people rage-quitting and disconnecting 30 seconds into the battle when my Espeon Magic Bounces back their status move or something like that. It also bugs me when people forfeit right as I'm about to knock out their last Pokemon. Is that really necessary?

Personally, I really like those battles where someone has messed up my normal strategy and I have to try to find another way to win. Do other people not feel the same way?

Just curious to find out what other people's thoughts are on the Battle Spot and opponents forfeiting/rage quitting on them.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Honestly, people forfeit so that they will no longer waste their times fighting when they obviously will lose. The forfeit/run button is there for that exact purpose (I do that myself when I am about to lose as well unless I have a chance to turn the tables, like to cause a flinch from a move I have whether or not the chances are low or high.) but that doesn't mean that its to be used more often than should and forfeit when you still have 3-4 Pokemon left to fight, otherwise it's best they stay out of the competitive realm.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Honestly, people forfeit so that they will no longer waste their times fighting when they obviously will lose. The forfeit/run button is there for that exact purpose (I do that myself when I am about to lose as well unless I have a chance to turn the tables, like to cause a flinch from a move I have whether or not the chances are low or high.) but that doesn't mean that its to be used more often than should and forfeit when you still have 3-4 Pokemon left to fight, otherwise it's best they stay out of the competitive realm.

That's fair. I understand that wasting time isn't very desired and if it's certain death, might as well forfeit. I suppose I just get more frustrated when we're just a turn or two into the battle and they give up. It seems pointless to me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I too would never disconnect, I prefer to play the game honestly and respectfully. And it's immensely annoying when someone does it to me. I don't have a problem with forfeiting though, as it's still recorded as a loss for them, and it's usually done under appropriate circumstances.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    If they used the forfeit button I probably wouldn't have as much of an issue with the ragequitters myself, but they don't want a bad mark on their record so they cut their internet rather than take an actual Loss. Gamefreak was looking for a way to lock people who do that out of battles, as in like too many errored connections after a battle started so they cannot battle for x hours.

I hope they implement it. It really sucks for those with poor internet quality but its also not very fair that others will abuse a faulty escape route.

Had one happen to me on XY. First Battle Spot battle. He had nothing but legends. I ran Greninja, Gogoat, and Aegislash. Opponent had Lugia, Regigigas, and Genesect. I 2hit KO'd his lugia with a Physical Greninja (non protean). My Gogoat tanked two heavy hits, one from Genesect and the other from Regigigas, and my Aegislash survived Genesect's first Techno Blast. turn three the guy quit by disconnecting his 3DS from the internet by either turning it off or turning his wifi off.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    If they used the forfeit button I probably wouldn't have as much of an issue with the ragequitters myself, but they don't want a bad mark on their record so they cut their internet rather than take an actual Loss. Gamefreak was looking for a way to lock people who do that out of battles, as in like too many errored connections after a battle started so they cannot battle for x hours.

I hope they implement it. It really sucks for those with poor internet quality but its also not very fair that others will abuse a faulty escape route.

Had one happen to me on XY. First Battle Spot battle. He had nothing but legends. I ran Greninja, Gogoat, and Aegislash. Opponent had Lugia, Regigigas, and Genesect. I 2hit KO'd his lugia with a Physical Greninja (non protean). My Gogoat tanked two heavy hits, one from Genesect and the other from Regigigas, and my Aegislash survived Genesect's first Techno Blast. turn three the guy quit by disconnecting his 3DS from the internet by either turning it off or turning his wifi off.

I believe it still gives you the win though right?

To be honest, I haven't experienced much early quitting in Rating Battles. I was under the assumption that any sort of running, whether you click the button or terminate your connection, would result in a loss for your record. So maybe others thought that as well (or I just suck and there's no need for the opponent to run haha)?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    I haven't done the battle spot yet on my X game, but when I played on my Black version two game, I'd run into that. I personally, like yourself, find it annoying because I don't really win much since I just battle with my favorite pokemon, and not with a well rounded team; so I take a lot of losses and ever single loss I never just run or quit. But what little wins I do get are rarely enjoyed because people rarely battle till the end.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

To be honest, I haven't experienced much early quitting in Rating Battles. I was under the assumption that any sort of running, whether you click the button or terminate your connection, would result in a loss for your record. So maybe others thought that as well (or I just suck and there's no need for the opponent to run haha)?

No it doesn't. My battle spot record is still 0/0/0. It doesn't register that I even fought him.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

Nope, you don't get the win, but the person who quit (or who's internet mysteriously disconnected) gets a loss on their record, so I don't understand why they disconnect when they are going to get a loss on their record either way.

However, while it is more likely a person who disconnects has disconnected themselves, having played Animal Crossing a lot I know that the 3DS wifi is not so terrific as I have had lots on instances of perfect internet use and online play, but other times where I get disconnected multiple times within a long session so it does kind of suck if you get a loss on your record due to the hardware.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    the person who quit (or who's internet mysteriously disconnected) gets a loss on their record

Interesting, I didn't know that. I assumed they don't get the loss either since it seems to be such a popular move...

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
  • I've had a few people quit during a battle, but not as many as I thought there would be. Most of the time its because they can't get my Umbreon to go down after I poison them so they just give up.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Interesting, I didn't know that a disconnect might count as a loss for the other person. I suppose that makes me feel somewhat better. :P

Yeah, I've battled the teams that are all legendaries and they are the ones I'm most suspicious of because they usually end up ragequitting as soon as my Vaporeon tanks a couple of their hits and/or cripples their attack power with a burn from Scald.

However, while it is more likely a person who disconnects has disconnected themselves, having played Animal Crossing a lot I know that the 3DS wifi is not so terrific as I have had lots on instances of perfect internet use and online play, but other times where I get disconnected multiple times within a long session so it does kind of suck if you get a loss on your record due to the hardware.
    Yeah, I understand that sometimes internet just craps out. Mine has it's moments where it's patchy (landlord's internet, so can't do anything to change it) and will disconnect randomly. It's generally the timing of the disconnect that makes me think someone's just rage quitting.

Years
  • I remember that in Black 2 and White 2, if someone disconnected to avoid a loss, they would be briefly kicked off the server and unable to battle online for a little while.

I guess here it's not a big deal if it WILL count towards their record anyway, but yeah it's normal for people to forfeit.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Sometimes when I battle another player on the formus, there is a disconnect. I don't think we have ever finished a 6v6. Sometime internet just drops out.

As for Battle Spot Gen5 was nothing but Rage Quits. Gen 6 almost never disconnects because they get a loss. Although a LOT of people choose to forfeit.

Stall battles more or less bank on you quitting, or spending 30 minutes for them to stall-kill you.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

lol, nubs thinking that a team of legendaries=automatic win. Sure, I sometimes use a team of all legendaries, but they're trained for competitve battles, and I never expect to win all the time.

I don't mind ragequits so much as long as its not every few matches or early in the battle. I never really got why people ragequit early. No need to get mad because someone outplayed you from the get-go...well, not all early ragequits are because of that, but still.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    No it doesn't. My battle spot record is still 0/0/0. It doesn't register that I even fought him.

Our battles can be recorded? o.0
    Where is this? I wanna check how many loses I've got! xD

edit...

anyway, last two weeks ago, i accepted a friend's battle challenge just as I was about to disconnect my game from the internet so I can shut it down and go to work.
    it was a very intense battle, and i actually managed to turn the tides around to my favor!
    but lo and behold, after i defeated his 4th pokemon, ERROR!

i was so mad my eye twitched as I eyed his "offline" icon going back "online".

...I removed him from my friend list for wasting my time. -,-

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    I use Battle Spot just to troll lol. Whenever I use SubToxic Gliscor, everyone forfeits or rage quits. I especially love when Japanese players quit because of this XD

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Interesting, I didn't know that. I assumed they don't get the loss either since it seems to be such a popular move...

In X and Y it was already mentioned somewhere that a disconnect counts as a lose. Not the "the opposing player has been disconnected kind of disconnect, where yo uare sent back to the Battle Spot menu after, but more of the "you have lost net connection" and you return to the PSS menu, just to clarify, or I might be wrong :\

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Lol. I had the same issue when i Had Xatu (has Magic Bounce too) on my team and he would Bounce back Darkrai's Darkvoid causing the moron who used it to rage quit.

However recently, i replaced Xatu with Choice Band Genesect..

*Genesect used Explosion*

Kills all 3 of their team as long as they aren't immune or bulky & resistant to normal or come up with a strategy to counter Genesect (if I exploded on them before).

usually my battles end in rage quit 50%+ of the time thanks to Genesect now :P

And I especially do hate it when they do ragequit when it's down to their last Pokemon and they know they are about to lose. either way it still registers as a Win on your profile in Pokemon and in reality it would of been faster for them to Forfeit than reset the game.. where as rage quitting throws you back to the main 3ds menu after a delay, gotta reload pokemon x/y, log on, connect to the net, reopen battle spot, etc..

Also just literally last week, I managed for the very first time to save the battle video with Xatu bouncing back Darkrai's Dark Void. They actually didn't rage quit... instead they forfeited LOL!

Also another thing about Rage Quitters in Pokemon.. you need to keep in mind.. you're probably most likely fighting underaged 8-13 year olds, who of course can't deal with defeat and throw tantrums unlike most adults.

Last edited:
    Back