• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle system

Illusion

RMXP game maker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2011
    This is my first tutorial... :D hope that you'll like it. ;)
    I find that some of the games that do have cbs do not calculate damage or experience like in the real Pokemon games. This tutorial will help you all understand how to make a Battle system looking nearly like a real one.

1. DAMAGE CALCULATION
    Pokemon damage calculation is not like most of the common rpg's, its not ATK+ATK DAMAGE-ENNEMY DEFENSE.
    It's this:
    Damage = ((((2 *Attacker Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / EnnemyDefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * Attack bonus * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100 :\
    What does all that mean???
    Ok, Attack stat depends on the type of the attack:
    For Attack:

Normal
    Fighting
    Bug
    Rock
    Ground
    Flying
    Steel
    Poison
    Ghost

For Special Attack:

Psychic
    Fire
    Electric
    Water
    Ice
    Dark
    Dragon
    Grass

So AttackStat is your attack Power.
    Attack Power is the first number you see when selecting an attack, for example tackle is: (35)
    35 Charges the foe with a full- body tackle.
    Ennemy defense stat is the ennemy's defense/ special defense depending on the attack. ATTACK>>DEFENSE SPE.ATTACK>>SPE.DEFENSE
    Attack bonus is equal to 1 if you AREN'T of the same type as the attack and 1.5 if you ARE of the same type of the attack you're using.
    Then you have a random number that is between 85 and 100.

2.EV's

Some of you will be wondering what is EV's? :confused: Well it means effort value and each time your Pokemon beats a Pokemon it gains effort value.A Pokemon's max effort value is 255. So if you want to calculate is here is how I do it:
    ((Hp EV/2.5)*100/Pokemon level)+ Pokemon level Hp
    So if you're making a battle system that's one way to do it. Protein, carbon and all these vitamins add 10 to the Pokemon stat in their description. A pokemon can't "eat" more than 10 of each vitamin.
    More information on which Pokemon give you how many EV points here

3.IV's

IV's is a bit the same idea as EV's but it doesn't change. When you receive a new Pokemon a random number is chosen.(If I made a battle system, I'd make a random one between 0 and 70.)Wild Pokemon IV's are lower than the other Pokemon ones, to get a high IV, you have to get a hatched Pokemon/Legendary or your first one.To use it in the batttle do this:
    ((Hp IV/2)*100/Pokemon level)+ Pokemon level Hp

Note
    So to calculate a Pokemon stat:
    (((Hp EV/2.5)*100/Pokemon level)+(HP IV/2)*100/Pokemon level)+ (Pokemon level*100/Pokemon max hp stat Hindering Nature)
    Here's an example:
    Bulbazaur
    Hp max stat Hindering Nature: 294
    HP IV = 37
    HP EV = 20
    (((20/2.5)*100/34)+(37/2)*100/34)+ (34*100/294) =~88
    Thats quite high :D , but we gave the Pokemon an IV of 37 and an EV of 20.

4.Experience

All of you know what experience is so here's how to calculate it:
    ((Ennemy Base Experience *Enemy Level) * Trainer * Wild) / 7
    Trainer checks if the Pokemon trainer ID matches yours if it does trainer =1 otherwise, it ='s 1.5 and for wild it means it ='s 1 if it's a wild Pokemon and 1.5 if you're against a trainer.

www.serebii.net by Dragonair said:
    So let's say that my starter Squirtle had just defeated my rival's Bulbasaur in Fire Red. The Base Experience for Bulbasaur, mentioned before, is 64. The Level is 5 since it's the first battle you do with your rival. You are the original trainer, so Trainer is equal to 1. It isn't Wild, so Wild = 1.5. Now the only thing left to do is to do the math.

Exp = ((64 * 5) * 1 * 1.5) / 7
    Exp = ((320) * 1 * 1.5) / 7
    Exp = (480) / 7
    Exp = ~68

5.Pokerus

??? :confused: What is Pokerus, well if you have a Pokemon that's got it(you're reaaalllllyyyy lucky :D ) it just means that the Pokemon that has it gets double EV experience :D.
    Battle system

Well I think that I've finished but I'm sure that some things are wrong or I've forgot something....
    Please give me advice and other helpful things.
    ;)
    EDIT: I forgot to give credit:here
    Battle system

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    You've posted some very useful info. Great work.

Illusion

RMXP game maker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2011
    QFred said:
    I think that too!

Also, I don't really know how to make the game calculate, how do I put calcules?
    It's true it may be difficult to understand at first, but read it a few times an you'll understand.
    To make the game calculate, use variables.Variables are numbers that are stored in memory.
    Illusion

Cursed

Godking Ragnarok CXVII
    Years
    Could you post a simpleton version that shows the actual code? And is this for rm2k3 or what?

another_yagami

The Spriter of Fusion dex.
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    its a very usefull tutorial! i already use it in my cbs...
    i have found it in serebii.net
    but you can make it more easy... some peoples have an dificult do understand it...

See ya!
    Another_yagami

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 8, 2005
    i didn't get anything tht was said there....

oh well, i'll probably get it some time or other

Illusion

RMXP game maker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2011
    Shiny_link said:
    good work, very useful (just have to do everything that it says without understanding it) also you misspelt "ennemy" --> Enemy.
    Anyways good work
    Thanks! I just edited it! ;)

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
    Yeah, it's battle algorithins (I can never spell that right.....) for Pok?mon battle systems in RGSS.
    Good stuff, although I've already made the battle damage equations for my game! :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Good stuff.
    If looking for more game mechanics stuff you guys should check out the bulbapedia section for game mechanics. Would post a link, but need more posts to post links lols.

Back