• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battledex: Golduck advice?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Tried doing a Golduck log entry last night, but can't come up with anything half decent... here's the problem whenever I tried using Golduck

-Golduck's best stats out of its totally balanced stats are hp, sp.atk and sp.def, so you can abuse calm mind pretty easily, however that makes Golduck overshadowed by Slowbro, and overshadowing is something I am desperately trying to prevent

-Golduck has a HUGE movepool, and even got the valuable cross chop, but then the EV section is just messed if it tries to mix sweep... its base stats aren't that good enough to use cross chop without any attack EV as well.

-if Golduck is to just go physical with light screen support, then it becomes overshadowed by Swampert (again, not good)

-if Golduck tries to destroy weather abusers (Exeggutor and Omastar, for example), then you're still messed... perhaps Exeggutor does lose sunny day boost, but the solarbeam still mess you over, even if it now takes a turn to charge up. And it can sunny day again after Golduck's blasted by the weakened solarbeam. If you switch Golduck out, then... sunny day again? If you're against Omastar, then Omastar can still destroy you with HP Grass, and Omastar's defense resist Cross chop pretty well unless you hax a critical, and being part water neutralizes surf's damage. If you're against a thunder user, well they can still use thunder and risk a bit on accuracy to get you...

So, any ideas on how to use Golduck well? The most troubling factor is how Golduck got hit by the nerf stick so hard by the EV system, similiar to Kingdra...

Years
    I always used mine like this

Golduck@Salac Berry
    EVs- 255 Spec Attack, 255 Spec Defense
    -Calm Mind
    -Psychic
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    that's exactly the problem... why don't I just transfer those 4 moves directly on a Slowbro and make a much better use of it? =/

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    Well, you don't have any choice, it's quite possibly the best Duck set out there. It's the same with quite a few UU pokemon.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    that's exactly the problem... why don't I just transfer those 4 moves directly on a Slowbro and make a much better use of it? =/

There's a reason why UU monsters are UU.

If Golduck could use Slowbro's move-set better, then Slowbro would be over-shadowed. The Calm-Minding set is the best in my opinion.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    UU Pokemon are UU sometimes because of stats, not because of overshaodw. Kangaskan is not overshadowed by anything, as nothing is as tanky as Kangaskan with out of all the Pokemon with early bird/shed skin ability to abuse rest. However, it's still UU just because its sp.def is not so formidable, and Snorlax is too good in stats in comparison.

There's also Quagsire, who in stats are overshadowed by Swampert, but it can do things that Swampert cannot do... *yawn*

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    And you can't find one thing that Golduck can do that someone else can't do better, so Golduck is overshadowed :p

Years
    swagger/psych-up/screech/brick break or return or hp psycial... @left overs
    or for special tank: light screen, subsitute, calm mind, surf/ice beam/hp special @leftovers

Last edited:

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    That's teh name of the game anyway. You're always going to find somethign better somewhere. I honestly haven't seen many people use Slowbor though, nor Exeggutor or Omastar. Golduck is just one of those pokemon you'll have to use out of faith and hope the opponent doesn't have one of those three they've ev trained to the max. :\

Back