• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battling with Legendary Pokemon?

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
Years
  • I don't use legendaries in-game, they are like trophies to me. But if I'm battling in Ubers or whatever I will use legendaries.

Years
  • I never use lengendaries. I do feel that it's cheating, or that it's just weird that everybody has a (example) victini even thought here's only supposed to be one. Legendaries are a novelty thing for me. They're fun to collect.
    Pokemon like Hydreigon or Dragonite however, require a lot of training to get them that strong and it's a challenge. You typically catch legends at a higher level :/

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
  • I don't use legendaries to be honest. The only legendary Pokemon I ever raise and used them in my starting VI was Mewtwo in Soul Silver and Victine in White. I like legendaries but by the time I catch them I have a full team and I prefer to stick with them rather then dump them after I catch a legendary. I'd rather collect them then use them in competitive battle.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I think using the legendary is not a problem if both parties have agreed.

But, if you don't want to tell your friends about the pokemon you will use before battling, and you using legendary when your friend not using legendary, i think it's a bit unfair, everyone know most of the legendary are too strong.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I normally use the box legendary at least once - in the exception of Black, where I'll always make sure I can have Reshiram for the final battles with N and Ghetsis.

Event legendaries such as Victini, I'll use if I can (I used Victini in my first run of Black, and have re-downloaded the Liberty Ticket). I'll also use legendaries that aren't banned such as Suicune for the second-time battles of the Battle Frontier, as they all have legendaries.

I do, however, disregard the time I EV'd a Suicune and used it to defeat Red as a victory - it felt like cheating, his weren't EV'd as far as I know.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    If you like it, why don't use it? They aren't that powerful. You can beat legendary Pokemons just because they were legendary doesn't mean that that's an excuse!

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Legendaries are regular Pokes, simply put. Though they might be extremely rare and have cooler designs than most Pokes, they still have weaknesses and strengths just like every other Poke.. I hate whining kids that say that you shouldnt use legendaries because they are so strong or whatever..Its just because you cant beat them, just get over it already. Classifying Pokes by legendary or not is segregation, and discrimination. Sure, they are pixels, but I still find it demeaning and sort of disrespectful. Now, I know a lot of you may simply not use them or beat them whenever you see them, but a lot more people tend to hate on them especially in competitive play, and I see no reason for it. Would you not like me to use my Typhlosion, or even my Ratticate? Basically, its the same thing. I personally love the thought of awesome looking Pokes like Lugia or Ho-Oh and use them on my teams if I like them, or box them if I dont. I have a Lv. 71 Lugia on my team currently, and the three dogs are boxed simply because I dont want to use them, not because they are "legendary" but because I dont like them very much, except for maybe Entei...*shrugs*.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Do I use legendaries?

....do I really need to answer this? :D

(Heck yeah. In my opinion, what's the point of catching a rare legendary in the first place if you are never gonna use it? Your mileage may vary, but I caught the legendary Pokemon because 1. They are just plain cool and 2. They are awesome in battle. You can cite other reasons, like filling the Pokedex, but why wouldn't you use it in at least one point if you went through all that work just to catch it? :\ Seems like a waste of Poke Balls if you think about it really hard. You used up about 50 Poke Balls, 27 Timer Balls, and 2 Great Balls on that Reshiram/Zekrom/whatever, just to place it in a box forever? :\)

Of course I mean no offence to anyone. You play the game however you want. :) The entire paragraph is just my opinion. :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I rarely use them for my in-game team (Mewtwo and Zapdos in LG, Kyogre in Sapphire) but I haven't done so recently. I don't use them for wi-fi battles unless the othr person has told me they will be using their legendaries. I will use legendaries for some of the single player challenges in the console games (Stargazer in PBR, for example).

But for the most part, I don't battle with them.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I think they are fine to use, the only reason I use them is because most look epic, and good movepools.

Back