• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Be a man"

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    If America had a female president I'm pretty sure multiple countries would take us as even more of a joke and would have bombed us already.

I'm pretty sure everybody in the world takes Germany as a joke. After all, Chancellor Angela Merkel is just the de facto leader of the EU- but she's a woman, boo. She can't, uh, uh, what can't she do, exactly? Impose herself on others? I bet you she can.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Traditional feminism doesn't exist. Feminism has always been the same and has never changed. It's methods have. From public speaking to riots to modern-day social media to which women's voices are now behind a few inches of computer screen.

Feminism has always about the cornerstone belief that women are being oppressed and that men are the oppressors. How do you think this is going to turn out?

-cough-tumblr-coughcough-

Ah, you misunderstood - I didn't mention traditional feminism at all, but traditional femininity. Those are two entirely separate things. You can disagree that femininity encourages teamwork and nurturing relationships with others instead of competition, but it certainly has nothing to do with feminism whatsoever, just the cultural definition of feminine. I hope that clears things up for you!

As far as the rest, there isn't really substance in it, so not much to respond to. Sorry!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Masculine (adj.)- having qualities traditionally ascribed to men, as strength and boldness.

Source

Well said. I feel that we are declining in individuality because everyone is striving to try and be a "perfect" person. I've heard the phrase, "Don't cry, be a man." This is ridiculous, this phrase shows us not to show our feelings. To me, crying shows that you are a man, because you are not afraid how others perceive you. When you're younger you try to fit in with people of the same characteristics, this is popular in high school. The masculine, football players hang out with each others, the more "feminine" guys (most of the time gay which there is nothing wrong with that and acting feminine) hang out with each others, the nerds, the geeks etc. People are trying to be who they are not, and this is hurting us more than anything. As a society we have praised the people who emulate masculinity: the guys with muscles, perfect teeth and get all of the ladies. This is not the right thing to do, we should promote different individuals who are not afraid to dress and act a certain way. If everyone was the same, then this world would be a boring place. Asking a young boy to be a man is both right and wrong.

On the other hand, many societies are getting better with the "masculinity concept". 20+ years ago, guys were expected to go and have a job and women were expected to stay home and be a housewife. They were expected to be the masculine men, who supported the family, went off to war if need be and be tough role models for their future sons. Equality is fading this image, and that is not a bad thing. Now women are starting to become the role models which we look up to, as well as the men. Actions are starting to speak more than gender, which is how it should be.

Why it is right
    Although we strive for equality between the sexes, I believe that the men should be the stronger one in a man-woman relationship. As a young child, parents should treat their kids in a way so that they grow up, and not be frail to every little thing that doesn't go their way.

Why it is wrong
    We should allow young boys to express their feelings, but not to cry over everything that doesn't go their way. We want boys to grow up, but the thing is a man's greatest possession is his pride. When someone tells us to "be a man" and do something we shouldn't, this could end up hurting the individual.

Overall, people take it to the extremes but masculinity isn't a bad thing. Boys should be boys, and girls should be girls. Guys should be the ones to take the heat, and should help women out when they are in a tough situation. Furthermore, in a time of crisis the male should be the ones that step things up and put their lives before the women. That is masculinity to me.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    Why it is right
    Although we strive for equality between the sexes, I believe that the men should be the stronger one in a man-woman relationship. As a young child, parents should treat their kids in a way so that they grow up, and not be frail to every little thing that doesn't go their way.

I'm honing in on this part in particular because I do not understand how a man being the "stronger one" in the relationship helps the later part whatsoever. Parents should give their children values so that they grow up, but how does... a man being "stronger" or w/e help this? Or a better question, don't you want kids to grow up with these values as well as the understanding that both of their parents are equally "strong"? Actually I'm thinking of another question now - What about a relationship where both members are the same sex? Is there a "stronger" man in a gay relationship or a "stronger" woman in a lesbian relationship?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    From what I've seen, there are two types of feminists. There are loud feminists and quiet feminists.

1. I didn't say that. If what you thought I said was against men, you're wrong. It was against the Roman Senate itself due to individual fault. By "man" I meant mankind as a whole collapsed and culture failed for over a few hundred years before it revived itself again.
    2. That's individual weakness, not collective weakness that makes people kill themselves.
    3. If anything I'm strictly against feminism. It's mostly boohooing over problems that don't exist outside of name-calling. The only alleged oppression that comes out of it is s--t shaming or rape jokes. Racism is more serious than the whole sexism thing, at least a problem actually exists. I've never heard of a hate crime that ever went viral propagating against women because they are women.
    4. Except we still have people who commit suicide everyday, over what? Another person that legitimately had no feelings for them? This goes both ways, and has no specific grouping within it. People as individuals are weak because they refuse to see the world as larger than it appears to them and believe there isn't a life for them worth living.

A statistic to consider, "According to a 2010 study by the U.S. Census Bureau, the percentage of married couple families living in poverty was 6.2%. For single-parent households in that same year, the poverty rate was 27.3%; for single mother households, the poverty rate was 29.9%."

Infer what you will.
    Regarding 1, you need to look closer at what I said. All of that portion you quoted was in response to the ORIGINAL statement, specifically this:

That is what women are supposed to be for our boys and men, and if they stop being that for the men, then they are to blame for the depression and deaths of us.

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. Most of your misunderstanding seems to have arisen from that.

Regarding 4, you did conveniently cut off my text right before the paragraph that addresses a lot of what you said.

Regarding your statistic, a 2% difference given the probably large sample size is probably statistically significant, but I don't know what you're trying to suggest by it.

Sir Codin

Manliness makes the world a better place and has given us awesome ♥♥♥♥ like this:

^ The fact that this never became a full show proves that not only is true manliness dying out and therefore resulting in a duller world, but justice is dying out too.

A world without stuff like this is a world not worth living in and I'll be damned if I'm going to let people make it that way.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm honing in on this part in particular because I do not understand how a man being the "stronger one" in the relationship helps the later part whatsoever. Parents should give their children values so that they grow up, but how does... a man being "stronger" or w/e help this? Or a better question, don't you want kids to grow up with these values as well as the understanding that both of their parents are equally "strong"? Actually I'm thinking of another question now - What about a relationship where both members are the same sex? Is there a "stronger" man in a gay relationship or a "stronger" woman in a lesbian relationship?

You don't want to raise up a strong child? As kids, we normally learn physical strength from our father (masculinity) and emotional strength from our mother (femininity). Each parent should teach the child different lessons and should help the child grow in different ways. There will always be a dominant one in a relationship, one partner will have more control than the other. No matter what you say and how you try to argue that, that is the straight truth.

I've never been in one, so I can't answer this part that well. However, in many same sex relationships there still seems to be the more dominant partner. Kids can still learn fro parents of the same sex, but I think that it would be different than learning from a mom-dad than say two dads. However, I can not answer that accurately myself, because I have not experienced that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You don't want to raise up a strong child? As kids, we normally learn physical strength from our father (masculinity) and emotional strength from our mother (femininity). Each parent should teach the child different lessons and should help the child grow in different ways. There will always be a dominant one in a relationship, one partner will have more control than the other. No matter what you say and how you try to argue that, that is the straight truth.

I've never been in one, so I can't answer this part that well. However, in many same sex relationships there still seems to be the more dominant partner. Kids can still learn fro parents of the same sex, but I think that it would be different than learning from a mom-dad than say two dads. However, I can not answer that accurately myself, because I have not experienced that.

It's inaccurate to draw a conclusion on the larger societal necessities of life from only your own personal experiences. The people around me tend to like anime, and also tend to be successful; this does not mean that liking anime means you will be successful. All it means is that I have the privilege of being in a place that churns out successful people, and I make it a point to find people that share my interests.

Do you have any objective evidence that women cannot teach physical strength and men cannot teach emotional strength? How do you even define emotional and physical strength - if a child grows up not being able to do a few push-ups, have you failed as a parent? Is emotional strength the ability to control your emotions, tamp them down, express them, something else?

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    You don't want to raise up a strong child?

You clearly cannot read because I said I wanted parents to give good values and personal strength would be one of those values attached. The rest of the your post is bullcrap on how moms give emotional strength and fathers give physical strength (My parents gave me both in equal quantities and also raised a child that doesn't need to believe in stupid gender role ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ so I dunno why you seem to talk with the certainty of a family psychologist.)

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Am I the only one over here singing Mulan?

Yeah I am. NO SHAME!

Personally, eh, gender is a spectrum.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Am I the only one over here singing Mulan?

Yeah I am. NO SHAME!
    Thread title made me think the same thing. =)

You guys need a sec to chill anyway.

And to make this remotely on topic: ♥♥♥♥ gender roles.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    There are some who would make the claim that I cannot be a man because I, in fact, am in love with a man. Homophobia is actually rooted in a very narrow definition of what it means to be a man. Anyone straying from that pure definition are therefore not men, according to these people.

Like with so many other things like religion and politics and other social issues, some people can only see the world in terms of black and white. To them, there are no shades of grey.

Back