• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beating the stronger team with lesser pokemon

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2012
    Strategy against a stronger team:
    So I was trying a playthrough and I'm normally pretty pathetic in terms of strategy in Pokemon and this is likely no different.
    But I was versing the first gym leader, and came across an interesting strategy. Basically, I would use my poochyena, and just spam sand attack til the geodude's couldn't go lower. (obviously a fair amount of luck required)
    And then I switch into my tailow who usually is a OHKO from geodude, and spam growl, until geodude's attack cant' go lower. At this stage, though, geodude has defensecurled a heap so it takes a lot to do damage. But with tailow, swellow and my nincada, it was pretty easy just to wear the geodude out. I used the exact same strategy for nosepass and it's pretty flawless I find.
    Do you guys have any strategies that are similar, or completely different? Unique, etc?
    Mainly for beating the superior team! :)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    That sounds like a lot of time devoted into just taking down one or two Pokemon. And it only applies to the other Pokemon, so when it faints the move usage really wasn't worth it. A better idea would be to spam Minimize/Double Team so that the stat changes still exist, and you can continue to defeat the rest without repeating the spamming of Growl/Sand-Attack.

I don't use many strategies though. Something I always find myself doing is use Leech Seed and use a move that poisons. That way, I wear the opponent down constantly and gain a bit of health in the process.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Moving to PGC since this can apply to more than just RSE/FRLG. I use strategies like that at the beginning of the game, but never for far along in it...like...ever. I'm usually way overleveled compared to my opponents, so it's never really necessary. ;( Unless I'm doing a challenge that involves NFE Pokemon, like Petilil. I used Leech Seed and Toxic and then Giga Drain over and over. Also let her hold Eviolite. Just do that, and you have a Super Seed bby! :D

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    ugh... Sand Attack and Growl...

Game: "Geodude's accuracy can't go any lower!"
    You: "Yes!"
    Game: "Geodude's attack can't go any lower!"
    You: "Yes!!"
    Game: "Gym Leader switches out Geodude."
    You: "DAMN IT!!!"

(lawl)