• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best and worst Final Fantasy?

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Best: FFVI: Do I need to say why? Yes, I do.

VI was just my favorite, the storyline is just purely awesome, there were a couple of dull spots, but it was good overall. The music is pretty good, and it had my third favorite villain ever... Kefka.

Not very detailed, but eh... I'm too lazy to go out on a full blown rant, that's for the worst one, in my opinion anyways.

Worst: The worst that I've heard of is FF X-2. But the worst I've played was FF II. The storyline in 2 was decent, but the levelling up system was just awful. That alone took out all of the fun in the game. And then there was the snowmobile card game.

If you got the Toad spell to Lv. 16, you can play a more advanced card game, and get stuff like Megalixers and Masamunes. It's too easy! It takes forever to get the spell to Lv. 16, but still, if you level it up early, there's no challenge! You can also get your characters to incrediblly high stats before even playing that much into the story. Before the first boss even. You can get your characters 9999 HP, 999 MP, and incredibly high stats if you're patient enough.

But, it does have some good music, in my opinion. And the plot's not bad, but the levelling system totally killed it for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    The best FF game for me was VIII. I know people don't like the battle system, and I'll be honest, I'm not a fan either, but I really love the characters. I could go on and on about how much I love this game, but I won't. XD;

The worst... XII. What the hell happened in that game? It didn't really have a solid storyline. It didn't have anything memorable about it. The characters were uninteresting, the plot was... well, nonexistant, and the overall game was just long and far too drawn out. I stopped playing not even halfway through the game because I got so bored of it.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    My favorite was FFVI. I shat bricks when I watched the opening video: Magitek Armor was the introduction of advanced technology in Final Fantasy. Now while the medieval-type games were great (like FFIX), the modernism gave it a more serious dimension.

In fact, the entire game takes is significantly darker than its predecessors, but manages to avoid becoming a generic angst pit where everyone is sullen and wears black (e.g. FFVII, and to some extent, FFVIII).

The villian(s) are actually a serious threat. Chaos and Sephiroth may come pretty close, but Kefka actually succeeds in destroying the entire freaking world. His laugh was pretty awesome, too.

Character variation was also significant. Besides having the largest character pool from any FF game, each person (or Moogle or yeti) has their own distinct personalty and valid reasons for joining up with the party.

Best and worst Final Fantasy?

^This guy. DON'T TEASE THE OCTOPUS, KIDDIES!

Least favorite was FFX-2. It was like an interactive ecchi game or something... that just used the girls from FFX... But then again, with a name like "Final Fantasy" you had to know something perverse was coming.

The storyline in 2 was decent, but the levelling up system was just awful. That alone took out all of the fun in the game. And then there was the snowmobile card game.

If you got the Toad spell to Lv. 16, you can play a more advanced card game, and get stuff like Megalixers and Masamunes. It's too easy! It takes forever to get the spell to Lv. 16, but still, if you level it up early, there's no challenge! You can also get your characters to incrediblly high stats before even playing that much into the story. Before the first boss even. You can get your characters 9999 HP, 999 MP, and incredibly high stats if you're patient enough.

But, it does have some good music, in my opinion. And the plot's not bad, but the levelling system totally killed it for me.

I can somewhat understand your disliking the leveling system. Although I found it more realistic that weapon/magic stats increase the more you use a weapon, the concept can be somewhat unnerving for someone used to a "traditional" level-up system.

But really now... What makes more sense, getting exp. from monsters to increase your "level" (which in turn raises all your stats, including the ones you didn't utilize), wielding a Mace for a while and becoming more adept with it?

Now about your hating the Snowmobile game... First let me say that almost every Final Fantasy game has its exploits. Now, the earliest you encounter the Toad tome is in Fynn, from Captains who will beat the stuffing out of you until some time after Josef leaves the party. Secondly, having a Lv. 16 Toad spell doesn't guarantee that you'll get the Genji armor/Masamune. You do realize that to get that oh-so-cheap Masamune, you have to beat a 16-card game of Memory without making any mistakes? Now there is a pattern, but if you put that much research and effort into "beating the system", you've got no one to blame but yourself for the game "being too easy".

Just thought you'd like to know that there's a famous exploit in FFVI. In the Lete River sequence (in the beginning of the game, when Banon is in your party), there's a way to max out all you characters' levels. It involves setting the cursor to "Memory", continually taking the wrong path, and abusing Banon's "Health" move.

Let me ask you: If I got my party to lv. 99 using this exploit, is it fair to dislike the game for being "too easy"?

inhisxeyes

resident crazy.
    Years
    Bests: VII, VIII, X
    Worst: X-2, XII

Okay, the reasons I chose my three bests has some insanity behind it. No matter what situation in life I find myself in, I think to myself "What would -insert character here- do?" And it is always one of the characters from those three games. The characters for those games were deep, three dimensional characters and there was actual plot to those games.

X-2 was not HORRIBLE, to be perfectly honest. Not the greatest, kind of a weak plot, but it had Rikku :3 As pooh as it was, I can't stop myself from replaying the game every once in a while.

XII... seriously, Squeenix, what happened? I was so thrilled to get it, so happy when I started playing it, thought Reks was kinda cool. Then he died, and Vaan showed up. The game went downhill from there. I was hoping that Balthier could pick up where Vaan ruined it, but there was no hope.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    Gosh, why does everyone think FFX-2 is bad? In my opinion, it's actually quite good, maybe a little boring but still, why hate it, is it because all of the characters you play with are female? Or is it the just 3 characters thing? The story? What? I just don't really get why everyone(well mostly everyone) hates X-2...
    Hmm, I'm not really sure with would be the best in my opinion... I think the FFVII series of games was the best, and also FFIX. VII just had agreat story and characters, long story too, IX was like a play, and that was good, in my opinion anyway, also my fav character is in IX too. lol
    The worst... would be either FFI or FFII, well they were like the first ones made so they weren't gonna be that great anyway... I haven't played FFXI but I kinda think that would be the worst, dunno why though, but I haven't played it so I can't say it's the worst for sure(even though I kinda think it)... Well, thats my opinion of it...

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Gosh, why does everyone think FFX-2 is bad? In my opinion, it's actually quite good, maybe a little boring but still, why hate it, is it because all of the characters you play with are female? Or is it the just 3 characters thing? The story? What? I just don't really get why everyone(well mostly everyone) hates X-2....

Lemme explain.
    The game had a half-assed storyline.
    The battle system was a terrible, modified version of the system we'd been using for ages.
    The only reason people brought it was because it had "X" in it's name.
    There's a huge sense of immaturity in the game, and you spend half the game chasing after a highly insignificant charachter.
    It's not really a game at all, either. In truth, it's actually Eye-candy for fanboys.
    Scenes like this make me beleive so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQcuO_16aQ

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    Lemme explain.
    The battle system was a terrible, modified version of the system we'd been using for ages.
    There's a huge sense of immaturity in the game, and you spend half the game chasing after a highly insignificant charachter.
    It's not really a game at all, either. In truth, it's actually Eye-candy for fanboys.

This one speaks the truth.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    Lemme explain.

Well, I guess thats the answer.
    I kinda agree now, although the game is ok. The whole game is really about Tidus, they are just looking for him and thinking about him, and Leblank(or however you spell it), just comes out of nowhere for no reason.
    I guess the game is stupid, but it's kind of good, some hard parts make it good. But it's also a bit too quick of a story, and why would you want to play it over and over again?
    Well, I guess that was the answer that I was looking for.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    fave: FFIX. My first bought final fantasy and i loved every second of it. That excalibur II run was a complete ***** though, i kept dying >.< other than that, i loved every bit of it.

least fave: FFX-2 & FFIII. for as much as i liked FFX, the second part did not do any justice. sucked, sucked, sucked. FFIII on the DS was lame. that whole job system did a complete 180 on my brain. DELETED on my R4. good riddance. LOL, that reminds me, i had a friend who tried playing it, got so frustrated with it that he took out the game from the DS, slammed it on the floor, and completely demolished the game by stomping on it a good few hundred times. HI-LARRY-US.

Back