• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best and Worst Pokémon Names

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
  • Hey, everyone! Does it just seem to you like some Pokémon names are more creative than others?
    Which Pokémon names do you personally consider the best and worst?

For me

Best:
    Geodude
    Purrloin
    Liepard
    Raticate
    Squirtle
    Spheal
    Litleo
    Noctowl
    Pyoar

Worst
    Electrode

Persian
    Dewgong
    Seel
    Pineco (I mean come on. They just took two letters off of Pinecone.)

Note that liking or disliking their names is pure opinion and doesn't necessarily mean I like or dislike the Pokémon with that name.

What would be on your best and worst list? And why?

Years
  • Purugly is a pretty underwhelming name. Luvdisc isn't too strong. What else...

Mime Jr. (complete lack of inspiration).

The others work well for me.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Noibat and Noivern. Well, to be fair, their names aren't too bad. Their german names on the other hand: eF-eM and UHaFnir (yep, that's the correct way they are spelled, no damaged capslock key, or anything)

No, just...no!

Years
  • My least favorite would be Klingklang. So first it's Klink... Then Klang... Then Klingklang? Not only is it gear noises made into a name, it's just the names of its previous evolutions stitched together.
    As for favorite, it would be Delphox. There's the obvious Fox part at the end, but the start, "Delp" is quite clever. It gives a subtle nod to Delphi, the Greek god Apollo's spirit of prophecy. Not only is the name fitting, it's also tricky to figure out for most people.

Years
  • Roggenrola is just the worst. I know a lot of Pokemon names have built in puns and meanings, but they didn't even try with that one. It's just an awful Pokemon with an awful name.

Noibat and Noivern. Well, to be fair, their names aren't too bad. Their german names on the other hand: eF-eM and UHaFnir (yep, that's the correct way they are spelled, no damaged capslock key, or anything)

No, just...no!
    I... forgot about that. I'm glad I'm not German!

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • My least favorite would be Klingklang. So first it's Klink... Then Klang... Then Klingklang? Not only is it gear noises made into a name, it's just the names of its previous evolutions stitched together.

Klingklang is also my least favorite. It's just really uncreative.

My favorite, on the other hand, is Rayquaza. Always have, always will. Part of its name seems like it comes from "quasar," which makes sense considering that it lives in the ozone layer.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I cannot pronounce Dedenne to save my life. And Dedenne as a name is just weird :(
    Yeah, I agree.

I also don't like names ending with -a in that silly way like Roselia and Cacnea do. They could have been named something more punny and funny. I'd have liked Rayquaza to be Rayquazar ;)

I have to say some of the very best names are Bulbasaur and Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard. Simple and effective play on words, and Bulbasaur rolls off the tongue so neatly<3

vanillte1

praise goomy
    Years
  • Noibat and Noivern. Well, to be fair, their names aren't too bad. Their german names on the other hand: eF-eM and UHaFnir (yep, that's the correct way they are spelled, no damaged capslock key, or anything)

No, just...no!

I honestly don't understand why game freak picked these names...

Rubidium

Criticism Response Team
    Years
  • My favourite names are probably Arcanine and Empoleon. I may be biased considering they're favourites of mine, but they're just so...nice? It's names like these where letters in names coincide with both words in their etymology, this case being Arcane + Canine.

My least favourite name is probably 'Talonflame'. It is literally 2 words just put together, and although this is the case for a lot of other Pokémon, eg Infernape (inferno+ape), in Talonflame's case it is just two words next to each other (talon+flame).

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres have awesome foreign names like Artikodin, Elekthor, and Sulfura. But their original Japanese names suck. Freezer, Thunder, and Fire? That's the best they could come up with? Come on Game Freak. :I

Those aren't the only Pokemon with awesome foreign names though. Dusknoir (which is an awesome name all by itself) has the name Noctunoir, Tepig (which is awful, no offense) has the name Pokabu, and Pidove (which is just meh) has the name Mamepato, which sounds catchy.

As for awesome English names, there's quite a few. I already mentioned Dusknoir but Darkrai is awesome too. It's not only cool sounding but also an astonishingly appropriate name; Darkrai is a portmanteau of dark and wraith, and that's exactly what Darkrai looks like. There's also Tyranitar, Empoleon, Roggenrolla, Gigalith, Salamence, Roserade... the list goes on and on.

Bad names though... well you got Klingklang, which is a painful sounding word, Flabebe and Dedenne which I can't figure out how to pronounce, Lickilicky which makes no real sense, Avalugg, Klefki, and... Barbaracle. That last one in particular is disgusting and difficult to say.

No, just...no!
    Why is that a thing?!

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • My favorites are Kingdra and Flareon
    My least favorite would have to be Kling, Klang and the even worse third one Klingklang.... just stupid...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I never liked the name "Wartortle." It sounds kind of weird to say and it doesnt flow very well I guess.

I like Whismer, Loudred, and Exploud because they flow well, and describe each pokemon well. Exploud makes Exploud sound loud and powerful.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Pokémon with the best, most creative, most unique, most ingenious, most inventive, coolest sounding name...

Aerodactyl
    -aero- of or relating to aerodynamics ; of or having a shape that reduces the drag from air moving past
    -dactyl- late Middle English, via Latin from Greek daktulos, literally 'finger' ; in mythology, a legendary being

Being that Aerodactyl can only be obtained through reviving an Old Amber fossil, I would say he qualifies as "legendary." Maybe not the Pokémon definition of legendary, but the everyday definition of legendary. Also notice that -dactyl comes from the ancient Greek word daktulos, meaning "finger" ... in every sprite, Aerodactyl has noticeably visible fingers on his wings. All together, very cool name for a very cool Pokémon.

Pokémon with stupid names: Mr. Mime, Mime Jr.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Noibat and Noivern. Well, to be fair, their names aren't too bad. Their german names on the other hand: eF-eM and UHaFnir (yep, that's the correct way they are spelled, no damaged capslock key, or anything)

No, just...no!

Whaaaat that's so random @__@ What do those names mean?

I cannot pronounce Dedenne to save my life. And Dedenne as a name is just weird :(

Wait, so it's not pronounced De-den?

My least favourite name is probably 'Talonflame'. It is literally 2 words just put together, and although this is the case for a lot of other Pokémon, eg Infernape (inferno+ape), in Talonflame's case it is just two words next to each other (talon+flame).

Yeah I agree, Talonflame is a pretty underwhelming and basic name. Especially since Fletchling and Fletchinder are pretty cool names.

I've always liked Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon - I've thought they have pretty clever and cool names. Once I was old enough to understand what it meant, I've appreciated Sudowoodo's name as well.

I recently found out some interesting things about Girafarig's name. Obviously Girafarig itself is a palindrome, which references its palindromic bodily structure. But it gets cooler! Girafarig's Japanese name is "Kirinriki", or "キリンリキ" which is a palindrome too. But wait! "Kirinriki" pretty much translates to "psychic giraffe". Such a cool name for a pretty forgettable Pokemon!

Axel Rose

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    Nosepass - don't think you've gotten away with it, Gamefreak

Poliwrath - The revenge of the polliwog... yeah, I don't feel awestruck. But that may just be me being the opposite of a scaredy cat

Roggonrola - I'm not sure if I should admire Gamefreak's imagination or condemn it. :l

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Roggenrola is a very cool name.
    I have to say Gyarados is the worst, and even then, that's because Gyarados was supposed to be called Skullkraken. Now THAT was a good name.
    Also Swalot sounds... dubious.

Since some people have mentioned foreign names, I really love some German names. Drowzee becomes Traumato, Omastar becomes Amoroso (it's a coincidence, but "amoroso" means "loving" in Italian), Salamence is Brutalanda, Serperior is Serpiroyal, Musharna is Somnivora, Archeops becomes Aeropteryx... and the list goes on. The award for "best German names" goes to Pawniard and Bisharp, though: Gladiantri and Caesurio, respectively.

You hear that noise in the background? That's the awesomeness level shooting through the roof.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Wow, some German name are really good. Traumato? Horrifyingly awesome xD

Zekrom and Reshiram sound pretty cool, but I don't understand from where the names originate... Which makes them seem pretty random.

Back