• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best anime male lead.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    What is your best male lead character in any anime? And why do you prefer him on others?

Mine would be Yagami Light aka Kira. He is very smart and I like his philosophy that any person that wronged or wrongs in this world deserves to die. He the most unique dude in the whole anime industry. xD

Following him closely would be Lelouch and L .

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I have a lot of them so I'll just name 2...

Aono Tsukune;
    An average High School student who landed in a messed up High School XD

I just love his character, a regular kid, kind of smart and funny.

My runner up is Ichigo.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Kurono Kei from Gantz.

There is NO competition when it comes to a male protagonist.
    He makes you hate him, like him, then hate him, then go right back to liking him.
    You have never felt for a protagonist the way you'd feel for Kurono.

Last edited:

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Kurono Kei from Gantz.

There is NO competition when it comes to a male protagonist.
    He makes you hate him, like him, then hate him, then go right back to liking him.
    You have never felt for a protagonist the way you'd feel for Kurono.

man this dude's probably summed up everything i've had to say
    thanks a lot, dude!

oh and almost synonymous to Kurono is Kurosawa Kakeru from Onani Master Kurosawa

i'm assuming you meant "best" in the literary sense; in that the character is psychologically believable, possessing human imperfections and being prone to error, who may or may not (so that our choices are not limited to bildungsromane?) be subjected to a series of trials, wherein he matures and develops?

though, looking on your reasoning for your own nominations, i would be compelled to say: "probably not !"

hahahaha

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Lelouch is easily my choice. He has his faults, but he really is an amazing character.

Taichi

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    man this dude's probably summed up everything i've had to say
    thanks a lot, dude!

oh and almost synonymous to Kurono is Kurosawa Kakeru from Onani Master Kurosawa

i'm assuming you meant "best" in the literary sense; in that the character is psychologically believable, possessing human imperfections and being prone to error, who may or may not (so that our choices are not limited to bildungsromane?) be subjected to a series of trials, wherein he matures and develops?

though, looking on your reasoning for your own nominations, i would be compelled to say: "probably not !"

hahahaha

Yes, Kurosawa is right up there with Kurono. Somebody who read Gantz AND Onani Master Kurosawa? Wow, thought I was the only one. lol
    Have you ever read Me~teru no Kimochi? It's created by the guy who does Gantz, but has the antisocial themes of Onani Master Kurosawa. Excellent read.

richmix

The black trainer
    Years
    Edward Elric from fullmetal Alchemist. Hes funny and can figure out situations on the spot!

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Yes, Kurosawa is right up there with Kurono. Somebody who read Gantz AND Onani Master Kurosawa? Wow, thought I was the only one. lol
    Have you ever read Me~teru no Kimochi? It's created by the guy who does Gantz, but has the antisocial themes of Onani Master Kurosawa. Excellent read.

if you're to bring that series up, then one would naturally think of Welcome to the NHK!, as they deal with similar themes. but these protagonists border more on the pathetic, as opposed to being relatable. (unless you're an actual NEET yourself ?!)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    hmmm, in an anime sense, Fakir from Princess Tutu would be pretty high on my list. He doesn't start out as a lead, rather, he starts out as a character you're meant to hate. However, he slowly develops into a strong, likable character.

Another choice would be Takizawa Akira of Eden of the East. He's generally a strong and likable character throughout the entire series.

And then there's Tajima, from Big Windup, for being awesome.

Insert all other GAR lead characters here.

there's also some older series that aren't really on my mind too, so ya XD

Last edited:

Taichi

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    if you're to bring that series up, then one would naturally think of Welcome to the NHK!, as they deal with similar themes. but these protagonists border more on the pathetic, as opposed to being relatable. (unless you're an actual NEET yourself ?!)

Wow, I just looked up that word after you said it. No, I'm not a neet. I'll admit that after I graduated I took a year off just to get that 'Ugh school time' feeling off, but now I'm good.

I just wiki'd the NHK series. It sounds good. I'll give it a look.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    oh gee whiz golly gosh darned it this is a thread about anime leads
    and here i was bringing up a buncha manga guys

UHHHHH ARARAGI KOYOMI FROM BAKEMONOGATARI IS PRETTY COOL BECAUSE OF WHAT HE DID IN KIZUMONOGATARI (lol i'm doing it again)
    also, Renton Thurston from Eureka Seven and maybe Takasu Ryuuji from Toradora! for the same reasons as my manga guys

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Light from Death Note.
    Okazaki from Clannad.
    Kei Kurono was pretty cool.
    Also i liked Yukito Kunisaki as he is a bit like me.

Years
    Hoo boy, where to start? If I had to pick only one, though, priority comes with the order of my listing.

Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad series): Probably one of the most realistic and capable male leads in slice-of-life anime, even if he's a bit of a Gary Stu sometimes. One can easily sympathize with him.

Kyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya): No one could have better narrated the Haruhi series. His completely skeptical and deadpan narration accounts for half the reasons why I enjoyed Haruhi so much.

Ginko (Mushishi): He's the only main character, so I guess he'd count as a male lead. He leads a very interesting life and always exude a wise elder aura that you just have to admire.

Ryuuji Takasu (Toradora!): Easily my favorite out of the Toradora cast. Unlike most male leads out there, he's self-sufficient, empathetic, and unselfish. I'm amazed at how he's able to handle Taiga after all the abuse.

Kurosawa Kakeru (Onani Master Kurosawa): For reasons mentioned in the posts above.

Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic!): His overzealous military behavior is both great for laughs and useful in high tension situations.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad series): Probably one of the most realistic and capable male leads in slice-of-life anime, even if he's a bit of a Gary Stu sometimes. One can easily sympathize with him.

Kyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya): No one could have better narrated the Haruhi series. His completely skeptical and deadpan narration accounts for half the reasons why I enjoyed Haruhi so much.

Ryuuji Takasu (Toradora!): Easily my favorite out of the Toradora cast. Unlike most male leads out there, he's self-sufficient, empathetic, and unselfish. I'm amazed at how he's able to handle Taiga after all the abuse.
    These three are also some of my favorites.

Kyon is my favorite character in Haruhi and the rest are easy to connect to.

Years
    Goro Shigeno from the Major series. For a lead character of an anime about baseball he has a ton of qualities that make him likable. He's got an incredible will to pursue his goals and prove he can do anything if he sets his mind to it.

Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Really... there's no explanation needed.

Toua Tokuchi from One Outs. This guy is so incredibly smart, that at the beginning of the anime you would think opposite. He outwits just about everyone he comes into contact with and has incredible strategy.

Takuma Hirose from H20 ~Footprints in the Sand~. He is so kind and loving that you come to love the character yourself just for the way he acts. He has his struggles throughout the anime, but he brought a lot of feeling from me.

Nanashi from Sword of the Stranger. You don't even know the guy's real name and he manages to own a bunch of samurai without unsheathing his sword. I'd say he deserves a spot here.

Taichi

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Ah yes, how could I forget good old Kamina from my favorite anime ever? lol
    He's not up there with Kei Kurono and Kurosawa but he's good for a spot somewhere.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Yoite. He's pretty sexy for an emo kid.

And +1 for Kamina. :> Though I wouldn't necessarily consider him a lead, per se.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach Series) : Ichigo's got alot of faults but tries his best for everyone, despite his short temper. He also gives us some good comedy and action (like when he beats up other shinigami! ^__^)

Aine

♫ ✰ queen's ★ knight ✰ ♫
    Years
    Eyahhh... I have a few. :P

Date Masamune from Sengoku Basara (Though it has two male leads?)

Usui Takumi from Maid-sama! (I want to hate the fact that he's so perfect yet still...)

Coud van Giruet from Erementar Gerad

Back