• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Catcher Pokemon

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I want to get a pokemon who can be my go to for pokemon I am having a hard time catching like legendaries or trips through the friend safari! What pokemon do you guys think I should use? Please give full details; IVs, EVs, Moves, Nature, Ability. I was thinking Smeargle but have no clue for the moves! Please help!

Thanks in advance!

-Sylvitar-

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Gallade is hands down the best catcher Pokemon. It's the only Poke that can learn the following set of moves:

Mean Look
    Hypnosis
    False Swipe

Hypnosis puts it to sleep, False Swipe brings its HP down to 1, and Mean Look traps roaming Pokemon. It's a bit tricky though, because you have to breed for Mean Look, and it only learns Hypnosis as Ralts and Kirlia.

Don't worry about IV's, just invest full 252 EV's in Attack and Speed. It has to be fast enough to outspeed roamers, and strong enough to "OHKO" it with False Swipe.

Years
    A Breloom with Spore and False Swipe could be pretty good, except for Ghost-types. Since Breloom has such high Attack, it makes for a good user to catch stuff with. Although Breloom can be a little hard to get.

There are quite a few other good False Swipe users, like Doublade, Aegislash, Absol and such that, although most of them don't get sleep moves (though Absol gets Thunder Wave), can be helpful. Just a couple suggestions.

UB3R_N00B

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I was thinking:

Smeargle @ Metronome/Silk Scarf
    Adamant Nature, 31/31/31/0-30/31/31 IVs
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hitpoints
    Moves: False Swipe, Spore, Soak, Taunt

I believe thats my catcher! :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    That could work. Just keep in mind Smeargle is quite frail and risks being OHKO'd if it's too underleveled. Not a huge problem in game since you can revive it, but it's something to be mindful of.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I'd go scizor.
    His high attack stat, technician ability, and typing most AI pokemon can't exploit make his false swipe particularly useful. He also learns thief, which can damage ghosts without killing them if he's on a level below or near them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I was thinking:

Smeargle @ Metronome/Silk Scarf
    Adamant Nature, 31/31/31/0-30/31/31 IVs
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hitpoints
    Moves: False Swipe, Spore, Soak, Taunt

I believe thats my catcher! :)

why soak? (extra letters)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'd assume soak would be so that ghost types could be affected by false swipe. It's actually quite clever.

Ah I see! Makes sense, although if it's a Smeargle I would personally use Odour Sleuth or Foresight, but really, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I guess!

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Personally, I use Cobalion with False Swipe, Taunt and Thunder Wave (can't remember the last move). Cobalion is the lazy man's option - it's the only Pokemon that learns all three of these TMs (apart from Mew), and requires no breeding or Sketching.

To be honest, now that I've completed the National Dex I just chuck Repeat Balls until it catches them {XD} It never takes more than 3 :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Personally, I use Cobalion with False Swipe, Taunt and Thunder Wave (can't remember the last move). I use Cobalion purely because I'm lazy - it's the only Pokemon that learns all three of these TMs (apart from Mew and maybe another legendary I've forgotten), and I can't be bothered breeding or Sketching because at the end of the day it's only a catching Pokemon. To be honest, now that I've completed the National Dex I just chuck Repeat Balls until it catches them {XD} It never takes more than 3 :P

You forget though, that if you're starting a new game you can't use a level 42 - 65 poke on till you get enough badges. Whereas any other pokemon you can breed a level 1 version and you get False Swipe TM fairly quickly in the game (before the second gym I think)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    You forget though, that if you're starting a new game you can't use a level 42 - 65 poke on till you get enough badges. Whereas any other pokemon you can breed a level 1 version and you get False Swipe TM fairly quickly in the game (before the second gym I think)

That's true. I was working under the assumption that the Elite Four had already been beaten. Although Sylvitar mentions trips through the Friend Safari, so I assume that's the case.

UB3R_N00B

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Could anyone give me the steps to get the correct moves on my smeargle? Do I have to use sketch before i get my other sketch or can i level it to say 40 and then get false swipe, would another sketch appear after i learn false swipe or do i gotta learn false swipe at 1-10, learn spore at 11-20, learn soak at 21-30 and learn taunt or another move at 31-40?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it's definitely Smeargle, as it could learn False Swipe, Spore, Spider Web, Thunder Wave, or anything else that could help when it comes to capturing other Pokémon. 8) Aside from that, I'd say Gallade. Anyway, I'm moving this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, as it relates to all games as a whole and not just X and Y.

Thread moved.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Could anyone give me the steps to get the correct moves on my smeargle? Do I have to use sketch before i get my other sketch or can i level it to say 40 and then get false swipe, would another sketch appear after i learn false swipe or do i gotta learn false swipe at 1-10, learn spore at 11-20, learn soak at 21-30 and learn taunt or another move at 31-40?

Smeargle learns Sketch every 10 levels. If it already knows Sketch though, it won't learn another Sketch. So you have to turn Sketch into another move before you can learn it again. You can also go to a Move Reminder and have him/her teach Sketch to it for a Heart Scale. This way you don't have to level up your Smeargle, but you still have to convert Sketch to another move before the Move Reminder will teach it another Sketch.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2019
    I'd assume soak would be so that ghost types could be affected by false swipe. It's actually quite clever.

Also it lets Spore work on Grass-type pokemon.

Also if you don't know the trick already, you can have Smeargle sketch the moves of your other pokemon in double battles. That is how I got all the moves on my Smeargle.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
    Mega Gengar has both Shadow Tag and Hypnosis, along with that it can take a Pokemon's health down pretty quickly. Even then, Gengar itself does a good job, you just have to use Mean Look instead. Crobat also works well, being a fast mean looker, which also gets Hypnosis.

Mainly, what you're after is a fast Pokemon capable of trapping. If we're not talking about Pokemon that run away, maybe Gallade and Scyther? They hit hard with False Swipe, and hit fast respectively.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    You can't go wrong with Parasect's False Swipe/Spore combo, it's super accurate.

Dugtrio's good for the fleeing Pokemon with his Arena Trap.

Back