• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best Emulator

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2015
    I am looking for the Best Emulator to play these games on my Windows 7 Machine.

I have Tried:

VBA - Runs too Fast when you press the Fast Forward Button

BGB - Has no Fast Forward Button

TGBDuel - I tend to use this as it has good Fast Forward and I can use the .sav files in Project 64 to use my Pokemon I use in Pokemon Stadium and Trading also is good

Gammbette - Love this Emulator but the Only sad thing is the Saved games can't be used in Project 64 :-(

So what do you use and why?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Im pretty sure I remember a fast forward button but moved onto smartphone emulators.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Sometimes I press every button until I find it. For some reason its not always shown. Another option is I believe manually changing the frame rate. But it might be a hassle.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    And you don't feel like playing without a fast forward button? :3 I have played Crystal on VBA and only fast forward when I walk in open areas.

ZoneX

Spriter
    Years
  • I play GSC on my phone using MyOldBoy!! I only got the demo version cause it was free but one cool feature you can do is link battle with another game at the same time. So say you boot up Gold version, right?! You can then go to the options on the emulator, click link local, then click Silver! Both games are running so go to the upstairs of the nearest PokeCenter, set up the battle room, save, then proceed, and just take turns switching back and forth from each game as you battle!! All at the same time on your phone(depending on what you have)! Pretty fun!!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    VBA and mednafen. The latter needs some setup and is more of a command line tool, but in return it lets you customize a lot of things, including fastforward speed. Another good thing about it is that it lets you play games for other consoles as well (NES, SNES, etc.).

Years
  • I use VBA most on pc out of habit but after what I've read, i might switch to TGBduel to use the saves with Pokemon Stadium games. At the moment I'm using a flash cart and Lameboy in my 3ds. It works good and the speed button can be set to toggle for when grinding those pokemon levels.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Any GB saves with .sav extension can be used with PJ64 for the Stadium games.

I use VBA for playing and TGBDual for trading (I think TGBDual is actually the only GB emulator that supports link trade).

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • VBA is my emulator of choice; I don't know if you're aware but you can adjust the fast-forward speed in the settings (I can show you how if you'd like). As far as trading Pokemon goes, I've had trouble even though it is rumored to work fine.

On my phone, I use MyOldBoy! Emulator that I paid $2.99 for, but the cost is definitely worth it. On my iPad I use GBA4iOS 2.0 because I've had it before the legal restrictions were placed on it.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
    Years
  • I mostly use VBA, don't play old games with fast forward (only text and battle). But I'm often playing old games on my DS and the fast forward isn't that fast (using some kind of DS emulator IDK which one).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • VBA is my emulator of choice; I don't know if you're aware but you can adjust the fast-forward speed in the settings (I can show you how if you'd like). As far as trading Pokemon goes, I've had trouble even though it is rumored to work fine.

It works fine, yes. For GBA games. GB/GBC trading is completely different system.

I wish Desmume supported wireless trading for 4th and 5th gen games but I heard it's hard to emulate and probably not worth it because only Pokémon would benefit from it. They were trying to make wifi work, though, but I have no idea what became of it.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • It works fine, yes. For GBA games. GB/GBC trading is completely different system.

I wish Desmume supported wireless trading for 4th and 5th gen games but I heard it's hard to emulate and probably not worth it because only Pokémon would benefit from it. They were trying to make wifi work, though, but I have no idea what became of it.

As you said before, it'd not be worth the effort. While a nice innovation, I don't think enough people would make it worth using considering the real-life DS servers are dead.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • As you said before, it'd not be worth the effort. While a nice innovation, I don't think enough people would make it worth using considering the real-life DS servers are dead.

That's right! The DS servers are dead, so there's no point in making wifi work.

What I meant, though, was the wireless communication between two DS consoles. That was never emulated by either prominent DS emulator. It would be a solution to make players be able to evolve Pokémon by trade.

Anyway, romhacks don't need that, as there are ways to make the evolution items "usable" like stones, and you can just edit evolution of Pokémon like Kadabra. I've asked Drayano how he did it for his hacks and I believe I have it documented somewhere in my HD when I was messing with it. Most hackers use the "level up while holding item" method, but that's cheap IMO. :P Dray's method is more realistic and doesn't require messing with the clock if the time is wrong.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I use the VisualBoyAdvance emulator. It works really well on my older computer which runs on Windows 7 and I like the fast forward feature. It comes in handy when training Pokemon. I've also used it to play Golden Sun, a slower older RPG which the fast forward feature came in handy to as well.

Back