• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Generation of Pokémon

Which generation of Pokémon had the best set of designs?

• Total voters

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    For me it was mostly Hoenn. I really enjoyed seeing all the new pokemon designs when I played Sapphire. Plus the dragon pokemon designs ROCKED!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    My favourite generation of Pokémon has always been the fourth one - Sinnoh. In my opinion, it's brought about the best changes, especially to the video games. Things such as the physical and special split in battling, .vs sprites for gym leaders (Platinum) and general updated and modern graphics made Pokémon feel up to date.

In addition, the new members of the Pokémon family the Generation IV introduced were mostly excellent and, in my opinion, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum were the most fun games to play.

Years
    You pretty much summed it up for me. Kanto was simply to simple. Sinnoh started to add way too many humanoid (And just plain stupid) designs, and the Pokemon had way too many round features. Isshu, despite losing some of the roundness, is garbage. Something about the Isshu designs just screams laziness. They look like Pokemon I made when I was a little kid; no joke. They took good concepts but their execution was awful. The Pokemon don't look natural at all, their are too many humanoids. I prefer more animal-like designs.

What bugs me the most is that as the series has gone on the designers have been gradually paying less and less attention to anatomy. This problem started in Hoenn, but I can't even look at most of the Sinnoh and Isshu Pokemon seriously. Pokemon like Reshiram and Zoraork are some of the biggest culprits. Reshiram doesn't look anything like a creature built for flight, and Zoraork's proportion are just out of whack.

You might be saying "Pokemons aren't real, they don't have to be realistic". While that may be true, I prefer more realistic designs. It's an artstyle choice, nothing more.

My favorites are Johto and Hoenn. Hoenn gets my vote because it had a much more diverse variety of Pokemon.
    Haha, I would like to retract what I said about Isshu, to an extent. After seeing the Sugimori art, the Pokemon don't look as ridiculous when they're all in a similar style. The sprites are just awful this time around, and make the Isshu Pokemon look awful. It's a shame too, since we finally have consistently moving sprites. Overall though, they still feel lazy and the anatomy is really screwed up, the Sugimori art just makes them look a bit better. Props to Ken for making those Pokemon not looks so bad.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    I just shattered my nostalgia glasses and yet I still think the first generation has the best Pokemon design wise. :( I know the most common argument against the first generation is the simplicity of the designs, but that's what I embrace most. In life I enjoy everything around me to be as simple as possible, too much going on is annoying and/or distracting to me. Therefore the simple and in some cases almost life like look of the first generation Pokemon (example Pidgey) are very appealing in my eyes.

I feel the same exact way.

All nostalgia aside, first gen wins hands down. The simplicity of the Pokemon and their not straying too far from their animal counterparts was what won me over. Pidgey, Rattata, Sandshrew, etc; gotta love em all.

Second place for me goes to Johto. They made a little more changes from the first generation but most were still simple in design.

I can't rate Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Isshu because I hated 95% of the pokemon in Hoenn and Sinnoh and I haven't given a good look at Isshus.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I voted Hoenn :)

I always thought Hoenn had the most unusual, yet very creative pokémon than any region. (Isshu coming close) Even though you said this is pokémon specific I also thing it was the actual best region with loads of awsome and great to playthough areas.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    For me, Nintendo is getting better designs every generation.

5>4>3>1>2

Isshu has some hardcore pokemon. <3

And if you're wondering why Kanto beats Johto, it's because Johto to me was one of the best regions all together, but I find the pokemon a bit bland.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES [ON] OFF : KANTO>JOHTO>HOENN>SINNOH>ISSHU
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES ON [OFF] : JOHTO>KANTO>>>HOENN>>>>>>>>>>SINNOH=ISSHU
    RETARDED GOGGLES [ON] OFF : SINNOH>ISSHU>HOENN>JOHTO>KANTO
    But seriously, to anyone that says Sinnoh/Isshu, you've either never played the classics or you're mentally ill.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I've started with G/S/C, but I like Isshu's and Hoenn's designs the most, both scream a new beginning to me, and I honestly like that. Yes, some look like Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh pokemon. But that's the point. They're supposed to look like that.

Sinnoh is third, Johto is fourth and Kanto is last. Not that I don't like them, I like them a lot, but meh. I don't know why I'm trying to explain, my opinion is just perfect troll bait, no?

Kanto, the original beginning, is last, because most of the pokes resemble actual animals. That isn't a bad thing, but it's not my favorite design choice. Nevertheless, a few pokes are up there in my favorites, like Gengar, Arcanine and Raichu, for example, despite their simplicity.

Johto, the game I started with, there are a few more pokes that look like animals, but they're starting to sway from that. The designs become more original, and there really isn't much wrong to say about them. Scizor, Houndoom and Ho-oh are all my bros from this area.

Hoenn, the game where it started 'going downhill'. The pokes here are quite varied, and there are types I didn't think I'd see, such as Ludicolo's Grass/Water. The designs are colorful, and look more original then the previous. Still not much wrong to say, and Ludicolo, Dusclops and Walrein are some of my picks from this region.

Sinnoh, it sort of went down from here. I like the designs, but they seem slightly dull. Sure, Giratina is awesome (Plugs ears), but not all of the designs are that good. Example: Manaphy and Lickilicky. One reminds me of a fetus, and the other... just creeps me out. A little. Giratina, Toxicroak and Gastrodon are my picks here.

Isshu, it emulates the feeling of Hoenn to me, but manages to bring in some of the best from some other generations. The pokemon seem colorful to me, there isn't a single pokemon in this generation I hate, at least at their designs, anyway. What they were able to do with these pokemon is pretty cool. Daikenki, Kenhorou and Shinpora are my picks for this gen. Also, I don't get the hate for the garbage bag pokes, and the Ice cream pokes either. They remind me of Voltorb and Electrode, actually.

Damian the Eevee girl

I <3 Eevee and eeveelutions!
    Years
    2nd Gen (Gold and Silver) were the best in my opinion. It had cool pokemon, a nice layout of towns, and a smart storyline. The Anime for this generation was cool, too. This all being the reason I pre-ordered Soul Silver.

Years
    It was tough to decide between Hoenn, Sinnoh and Isshu, but I picked Sinnoh. I dunno why all the hate comes towards this area! Just because the pokemon designs are getting a little bit different people practically scream "Oh no, change!" It's just stupid. If they kept sending out simple pokes they'd probably lose a bit of money.

Times are moving and pokemon are moving with them! They can't just throw out really simple designs just because it brings back nostalgia for a minority of pokemon fans. If you really don't like the designs that much then here's a solution, don't buy the games! Oh wait, you probably will.

I'm just tired and angry with people criticizing new stuff. If you think that gen 1 had the best pokes, then every time a new gen comes out, just go play red and blue. But I can't see how people think that a generation with 3 purple blobs as pokemon is the best one.

And don't start saying I'm criticising gen 1, because I'm not. Gen 1 was fine and started the whole thing off, why would I? I just don't think that it had the best designs out of all the regions.

Like it says in my signature, I actually like the fourth generation. Sue me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES [ON] OFF : KANTO>JOHTO>HOENN>SINNOH>ISSHU
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES ON [OFF] : JOHTO>KANTO>>>HOENN>>>>>>>>>>SINNOH=ISSHU
    RETARDED GOGGLES [ON] OFF : SINNOH>ISSHU>HOENN>JOHTO>KANTO
    But seriously, to anyone that says Sinnoh/Isshu, you've either never played the classics or you're mentally ill.

You know, you can dislike those regions all you want. But if you hate them to the point that you have to provoke the people that does like it, then there's something wrong with you.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Every generation, for me, is good in it's own ways. Every generation has had it's ups and downs. And I enjoyed playing every one of them. Starting off with Hoenn, it was a pretty awesome region, but somehow I disliked the sea travel. Kanto and Johto are nostalgic and bring back so many memories. Sinnoh; I enjoyed playing. And Isshu, I've yet to acknowledge. But to be honest, I enjoyed Johto the most. The summation of it's every aspect is what pulls me. So, yeah.
    As for the Pokemon, the Johto pokemon designs look the best to me. They're simple, yet vibrant. Hoenn pokemon come second for me. The leap they took, I think, produced some great designs.

Last edited:

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I voted for Johto.
    It just had the most top Pokemon, I love that region so much.

Years
    Nostalgia made me vote for Kanto.
    I prefer the original 151 pokemon designs over any of the others. I like Johto as well.

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    Hoenn.
    Y'know... the first game i ever played was pokemon emerald.
    I didnt know how the hell i played it. It was my friends game.
    Anyway,about 3 years on, i got a nintendo DS Lite.
    With Diamond and Pearl.
    I fell in love with sinnoh.
    Untill... 2years on, im into yugioh a little.
    This guy has pokémon ruby. I trade him a bunch of cards for that game.
    Thats when i met mudkip.
    And well, sinnoh was off mai list of goodness.
    I am so gonna make a pokemon life story now D:<

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Mine would have to be Sinnoh and Hoenn but Sinnoh would be my choice. Johto would have to be my third and so would Kanto. I'm not too crazy about Isshu.

Back