• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Gym Leader Battle Music?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Ah, Gym battles - they're pretty epic, don't you think? All for a Gym Badge! But still, whenever I play a pokemon game, I always take a listen to the gym battle's music as well, because I feel as though the Gym Battle music is all part of that epicness, to fight your way through a tough gym battle! But, let's here what you all think:

*For you, what was the best Gym Leader Battle theme(s) from any game?
    *How does that gym battle theme enhance your experience upon fighting a particular gym leader from their own particular game?

Feel free to use this video as a source for your answer, since it contains all of the Gym Leader Battle music. You can click on the protagonists that represents his/her own region to listen to the gym battle theme from that region, and I'll even provide the times on which every gym battle takes place too! (but credit goes to the maker of this video):

Kanto:
    0:00 - Kanto Gym (Red/Blue/Yellow)
    1:02 - Kanto Gym (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
    1:52 - Kanto Gym (FireRed/LeafGreen)
    2:55 - Kanto Gym (HeartGold/SoulSilver)
    4:06 - Kanto Gym (Black 2/White 2)

Johto:
    5:09 - Johto Gym (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
    6:27 - Johto Gym (HeartGold/SoulSilver)
    7:45 - Johto Gym (Black 2/White 2)

Hoenn:
    9:05 - Hoenn Gym (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)
    10:27 - Hoenn Gym (Black 2/White 2)

Sinnoh:
    11:50 - Sinnoh Gym (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
    12:46 - Sinnoh Gym (Black 2/White 2)

Unova:
    13:48 - Unova Gym (Black/White)
    14:45 - Unova Gym (Black 2/White 2)

Kalos:
    15:43 - Kalos Gym (X/Y)
    18:08 - Battle! Successor Korrina (X/Y)

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Kalos music seems to have a moody tone that influence everyone to battle serious.
    BW well it's bit shabby, but BW2 seems rather rock on that's why I like it.
    I like Johto in HG/SS and metal generation, I'm not fond on LG/RG on Kanto gym leader because the music bit less tasty, but HG/SS seems ok too and PW version so does for Gen II of Kanto's
    The Sinon is always favorable, but not for PWT version.
    Hoen music is also juicy and more juicier for the PWT version.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'd say Hoenn is the best by far. It really builds the tension. Just listening to it makes the battle feel 10 times more difficult than it actually is xD Imo it wasn't nearly as good in BW2.

Next is the Kanto theme (all iterations of it). When I was a kid and I first played Pokemon, I didn't think much of the normal battle music. Then when I first challenged Brock, and that music played, I was like "Oh man, this is serious business!". Every iteration of the song has been good: the remix in Gen II, the enhanced version in Gen III, and the enhanced version of the remix in Gen IV. Wasn't a big fan of the PWT version in BW2 though.

Next one on my list is the Kalos gym leader music. Sounds really intense, kinda makes me think of Mortal Kombat for some reason xD

I liked the Johto gym leader music okay. In general I like the distinct traditional Japanese vibe that all Gen II the music has to it, and the gym leader theme makes me feel like I'm fighting a seasoned martial arts veteran or something xD The remake in Gen IV didn't have the same feel to it, but it definitely sounds more intense.

I'm pretty neutral to the Unova gym leader music. It's never really stood out to me. It just sounds like an ordinary trainer battle. (that is, until you're down to the last Pokemon, then it gets pretty epic)

Finally, the one I like the least is the Sinnoh gym leader music. I don't dislike it per se, but it's just so slow and dreary. I could easily see myself falling asleep to it. It was an especially disappointing because after Hoenn, I was expecting something super duper epic for Sinnoh. But nope -_-

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Without a doubt, the HeartGold/SoulSilver Kanto Gym Leader battle theme is the best to me.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJjyJA49Hk[/ame]

The Unova gym leader battle music, particularly when down to the last poke, is a close second. I also like the slightly modified version of the Kalos gym leader battle music called "Battle! Successor Korrina" (music 5 in Battle Spot battles). But they're all not bad.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really liked the FR/LG version of Kanto gym leader theme. Really love its tune, and it generally seems to be more intense than others. HG/SS version isn't so much bad, either, but it's sort of soft and slow-paced; not my taste. Second favorite would be Hoenn gym of Black 2 and White 2, and third would probably be Kalos.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I really like the Unova Gym Leader music, but, apparently I'm the only one that doesn't care for the shift in music when it's down to their last Pokemon haha. Kanto Gym HG/SS probably comes in second. All the other ones I don't mind, except Kalos. I didn't really like Kalos at all, it seemed really mild to me.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    my favorite has to be from fire-red/leaf-green. it has a catchy feeling to it that brings back memories. hoenn comes in a close second though, its kinda loud and can get a bit annoying after battling a gym leader over and over... but it really has a nice rhythm.

Years
  • Kalos gym leader music here. Generally speaking, I actually don't really like a lot of the battle themes in pokemon save a few noteworthy examples. Intro section doesn't really sound like much to me.. but once the guitar riffs start, it's all good from there.

It doesn't really sound like "serious" battle music to me though.. more like riding a rollercoaster at night with a lot of neon lights around. So I guess intense would be the word for it haha

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    I'm a fan of the Gym Leader remixes for both Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2.
    In particular, the Kanto one in Stadium 2, sounded so classy.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • HeartGold and SoulSilver, definitely. Especially the Kanto leader theme. Gets your blood pumping for an all out battle c:

Years
  • B/W and B/W2 go. At first I hated that theme and found it to be severely underwhelming but after a month I just.. fell in love. It's really rockin', especially the version in B/W2. :)

Next up are the many versions of Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn gym leader themes. I adore pretty much every gym leader music Pokemon has had to offer!

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ts_foHlT_w"]Kanto Gym Leader Battle Music[/ame] from original GSC. SO INTENSE. DEM GOOSEBUMPS.

Back