• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Best moves introduced in Gen V?

Years
  • I love Scald as well. That burn chance is pretty solid and it hits pretty hard as well. Other faves include Psyshock for being able to hit like a physical attack while still using the user's Sp. Attack, Cotton Guard with its triple Defense boost (Whimsicott is just amazing with it) and Volt Switch, which is like a special counterpart to U-turn where you can take a hit and then get out. And also Shell Smash for the amazing offenses and speed boost which makes stuff like Carracosta and Crustle into offensive powerhouses.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Scald is awesome with inflicting burn. Ludicolo, Jellicent, Milotic can really make use of this move
    Frost Breath and Storm Throw are cool with the permanent critical hit! Sadly, none of the Pokémon with the Sniper Ability are able to learn those said moves.
    Cotton Guard is great for the Mareep line and the Cottonee line, they can be difficult to defeat if they protect themselves with the cottons.
    Psyshock comes in handy for Special Attackers like Alakazam, Ninetales.
    Dragon Tail, Circle Throw are useful for switching out the foe. :)
    It's nice to see an another physical variant of Giga Drain, which is Horn Leech!
    Volt Switch is amazingly demonstrated by Elesa. It can be handy like it's physical counter part.
    Sludge Wave is good for Double and Triple Battles, not to mention it has a high BP as well.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Scald is definitely the most, or at least one of the most, iconic moves of Gen V. Gives special walls another edge of physical attackers. Volt Switch and Dragon Tail were also very useful moves and garnered popularity very quickly. Bulldoze and Flame Charge also heralded the baton of moves with 100% stat-related secondary effects.

Honourable mentions go to Horn Leech, Quiver Dance, Hone Claws, Shell Smash and Psyshock.

Years
  • Oh yes I forgot about Quiver Dance! It gives some nice buffs to those butterfly and moth-based Pokemon, but it's Lilligant who really makes the move look threatening.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I had forgotten that all these good moves debuted in Gen V lol

Y'all are forgetting about Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare though

Years
  • Y'all are forgetting about Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare though

Ah yes Reshiram and Zekrom having such epic signature moves. It's also interesting that they get boosted power when one is used after the other, although the issue is that they are already resisted by the move which is the downside but at least the animations make up for it.

Years
  • Animation-wise I'll say that Inferno is the coolest to see. It's too bad that it has such a low accuracy, but with that guaranteed burn, it would become what's essentially Will-o-wisp on steroids if that were to be increased. I think it's also worth mentioning that it will that burn before an opponent with Color Change transforms into a Fire-type.

When it comes to functionality, Quiver Dance is pretty great. It boosts Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed all in one turn, which enables a sweeper to gain momentum very quickly while also putting on a bit of bulk against special moves. Borderline overpowered in-game.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Scald and Frost Breath all the way theyre very unique in that a water type move can burn a poke and frost breath always critical hits whats not to like?

Sirfetch’d

Scald is the bane of my existence. It is a nightmare for competitive players and I can do without it tbh :( I think my favorite gen 5 move though would have to be V-Create! It has such a cool animation and packs a punch.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Scald is the bane of my existence. It is a nightmare for competitive players and I can do without it tbh :( I think my favorite gen 5 move though would have to be V-Create! It has such a cool animation and packs a punch.

No, you must be mistaken lol. Scald is my most successful water type move that I use competitively.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Scald never burns for me when I want it to -_-

Years
  • Psyshock is a big favorite, as I know competitive battlers love that move for their Psychic-types since it can say screw you to Calm Mind users and Chansey/Blissey/Snorlax. There are also Bulldoze and Low Sweep, which while not competitive moves, are nice to have in-game and to use against faster opponents to cut them down a bit.

I'm sure i'll think of more later, haha.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • v-create is retarded. if you want to think about it, victini hits harder than kyurem-b's outrage. it's a good move for rayquaza i guess, but victini's is just... argh...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Scald (having a water type attack can burn is innovative), Psyshock (interesting move that helps counter special walls), Acrobatics (deadly with a sky gem), Shell Smash (cloyster's star making move, especially with a white herb) and Venoshock (great move for poison types).

Back