• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Movies of 2014

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Best Movies of 2014
    Best Movies of 2014
    Best Movies of 2014

I may or may not have chosen movies I liked

Best Movies of 2014
    I saw something like this somewhere and thought it'd be really cute to have here, so here I am. This year, we're going to be voting on the best movies of the 2014 year. This includes any movie that was released at a film festival (Sundance fans unite), or was released as a major motion picture. See a foreign flick on Netflix, which was released in 2014, that brought you to tears? It counts.

How do I vote?
    You can vote for five movies, numbering 1-5. The first gets 5 points, while the fifth gets 1 point, so it looks like the following:

1. 5 pts
    2. 4 pts
    3. 3 pts
    4. 2 pts
    5. 1 pt
    If you vote for one movie, it'll get one point. Two movies? First one will get two points, second will get one, and so forth.

What are the rules?
    There aren't many rules but if you vote for something not released in 2014, I'll spam your profile with lmgtfy links and delete your post. I might do the same thing if you vote for a Michael Bay film.

If a movie was premiered at a festival in 2013 and released in theaters in 2014, it therefore has a 2014 release date and counts. Use your better judgement.

I'll announce winners in a week or two; may the best movies win!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • #1 - Unbroken
    #2 - Big Eyes
    #3 - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    #4 - The Maze Runner
    #5 - If I Stay

I really want to see every movie that came out in December (such as The Gambler, American Sniper, Big Eyes, Wild, etc...) but haven't seen them. That might help me fill out these votes a little more but I haven't had the chance to see them yet, damn it. Might come back and fill this in as I see them.

EDIT: saw Big Eyes finally; definitely rocketing up my list.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • It was a tough decision on which movies I've watched should be on my top 5:

1. Intersteller
    2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. X-Men: Days of Future's Past
    5. Godzilla

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • 1. The Amazing Spiderman 2
    2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    4. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Army
    5. Godzilla

pkmin3033

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    3. How to Train Your Dragon 2
    4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    5. 300: Rise of an Empire
    I watched more new films this year than I usually do, actually...

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • 1.The Lego Movie
    2.Unbroken
    3.Guardians of the Galaxy
    4.Captain Amurica 2: Le WInter Soldier
    5.Mockinjeh Part 1

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • 1. The Lego Movie
    How could you not love this movie? I love Lego and this movie is just a perfect imagining of what I would want from a movie about Lego. It's a really great movie for adults and kids and AFOLs like myself. ;)​
    2. Gone Girl
    Talk about mind-twistingly great. This movie has a lot going for it and going in, I didn't know a thing about it. I convinced my dad and his friend to go see it instead of Left Behind, but we went in blind and I wouldn't have it any other way. The way the plot unravels itself into a coherent narrative and constantly changing feelings of whodunit are masterful.​
    I love Marvel movies. I love superhero flicks. This one is probably one of my favorites because it's just so DIFFERENT. There's no big name here to pull you in, it's just a thrill ride thanks to some cleverly crafted characters and a pretty good storyline too.​
    4. Edge of Tomorrow
    Groundhog Day with explosions? I'm in. Not only is this one of the most clever movies in recent memory, but it presents it all in a really unique way and keeps you on the edge of your seat to see how much our hero can do before things go back.​
    5. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    I wrestled with Mockingjay taking this spot, but I honestly enjoyed X-Men more. I loved the story, loved seeing old faces returning, and loved the cohesion of where things are heading for the X-Men. I'm definitely excited to see where things go from here.​

For fun's sake, here's what I've seen: Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Lego Movie, Mockingjay, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Maleficent, Edge of Tomorrow, 300: Rise of an Empire, 22 Jump Street, and Gone Girl

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Klippy said:
    Groundhog Day with explosions? I'm in. Not only is this one of the most clever movies in recent memory, but it presents it all in a really unique way and keeps you on the edge of your seat to see how much our hero can do before things go back.
    Did it not feel pretty much like Source Code to you though?

Lawandorder

¡Gracias Totales!
    Years
  • 1. Guardians of the Galaxy...
    2. A most wanted man.
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    4. Edge of Tomorrow

That's all, I saw many other films this year but not many that were made in it {XD}
    although, it does baffle me how can anyone think that either 300: Rise or TAS 2 (won't say anything about the Hobbit even though I really want to criticize it) were some of the better movies of the year, I know that there's no acounting for taste, but those two had too many issues to even be seriously considered.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Did it not feel pretty much like Source Code to you though?

In concept, I suppose. In premise and follow-through, no. Source was very thriller/mystery/race against the clock. Edge was very "Let's see how far he gets and how much he learns this go-around". In Source Code, I felt like he had more choices in what he did. In Edge, he had to follow a very strict path and deviation from that path resulted in a reset. You know what I mean?

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I saw only three/four movies this year so they take my list. One is technically from last year but had more impact this year so I count as a 2014 movie.
    1.Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. Frozen
    3. The Lego Movie
    4. The Interview

and if I have seen Interstellar and Big Hero 6 by now, one those movies would number 5 or both. Both would probably replace The Interview, which still would be number 6. For the hype surrounding it , I say it's worth it.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    1. Gone Girl
    2. The Maze Runner
    3. How to Train Your Dragon 2
    4. Maleficent
    5. Big Hero 6 (Baymax is just the cutest)

Everyone's voting for Interstellar. I've heard a lot about it but I never got the chance to watch it. Oh well.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Boyhood
    4. Neighbors
    5. Godzilla

I've always seen Transformers: Age of Extinction, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I thought that they were all really terrible.

Houndour2005

Banned
    Years
  • 1. X Men: Days of Future Past
    2. Earth to Echo
    3. Alien Abduction
    4. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
    5. The LEGO Movie

Back